diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone have an idea what caused this catastrophic failure to my system?

danmc

Hopefully someone can shed some light on what may have happened.

I have a typical Victron DC off grid system with a Lynx Shunt, two Lynx Distributors, a Multiplus 48/5000 and two 250/100 Charge Controllers, coupled with Seplos Mason 280AH battery. At the time the system was under external control.

At 12:44PM both of my SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 VE.Can charge controllers had a "Err 39 - Input Shutdown (retry)" error. One Charge controller automatically recovered but the other reported an ERR - 86. I followed the instructions to reset the one charge controller still erroring and all seemed well for couple of minutes until it reported "Err 87 - PV Input shutdown".

At the same time my Lynx Shunt went offline, it was no longer seen by my Cerbo Gx and all power lights on the shunt and both my Distributors went off. I have checked all the fuses and all seem fine, everything is getting power, but it is still dead. One of my solar arrays also seems to be showing no amps after this event (whatever it was) and my battery also showed a cell imbalance error at the same time and it's SOC dropped to 0. The array connected to the errorring charge controller has produced zero amps since that event.

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-134604.png

It took place at 12:44PM (My Cerbo's time is wrong). There was a lot of cloud and there seemed to be a break at that moment. I was also using a coffee machine/water heater. The array in question jumped to around 4177W and my AC loads were 1644W. Under the system's maximum capacity and lower than it has been previously many times.

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-210346.png

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-210448.png

Below is a link to my VRM dashboard, hopefully someone can help identify what has happened so I can stop it happening again in the future. I've tried to include as much information as I can think of that is relevant, if anything else is required please don't hesitate to ask.

VRM dashboard: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/264377/dashboard

I'm at an absolute loss to what could have triggered this and exactly what I will now need to do to remedy it? I'm guessing my Solar array now has a short circuit somewhere, (perhaps that's what triggered this?) which will need to be located and my Lynx Shunt now seems to have been fried. Fortunately my system is online when I fix the issue as i have two arrays/MPPTs, but I need to identify what has happened so I can stop it happening again or to my other array. Also Lynx Shunts aren't cheap so I'd rather not fry any more of them. ?

Back