diy solar

diy solar

What other components do I need?

squarpeg

I have been gathering, as funds permit, components for my intended off grid system. I really don't need it to be super fancy, or super complex. I think I have the major items, would like opinions on what else is required. This is what I currently have:

3700 watts of panels
2 -EG4 lifepower 48v batteries
Lifepower 4 communications hub
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70-Tr VE.Can
Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger
3500 watt invertor generator

I was watching Wills video on wiring a Victron system. What I do not have, based on that, is a Lynx shunt, a Lynx distributor and a Cerbo GX. My question revolves around whether those are all necessary? What does the life power hub do vs. the cerbo? Do I need a shunt? I am not against techy stuff but the idea of fancy apps, with blue tooth and web monitoring, software updates and on and on seem to always go bad, or get out dated. I may not even have wifi, or cell service. Probably a little screen telling me if things are charged or not, may be good enough. I am not sure if I need to go down the rabbit hole of detailed info on this system, but others would know more than me. What do I need? What do I really need? What is good to have?

I have been gathering, as funds permit, components for my intended off grid system. I really don't need it to be super fancy, or super complex. I think I have the major items, would like opinions on what else is required. This is what I currently have:

3700 watts of panels
2 -EG4 lifepower 48v batteries
Lifepower 4 communications hub
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70-Tr VE.Can
Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger
3500 watt invertor generator

I was watching Wills video on wiring a Victron system. What I do not have, based on that, is a Lynx shunt, a Lynx distributor and a Cerbo GX. My question revolves around whether those are all necessary? What does the life power hub do vs. the cerbo? Do I need a shunt? I am not against techy stuff but the idea of fancy apps, with blue tooth and web monitoring, software updates and on and on seem to always go bad, or get out dated. I may not even have wifi, or cell service. Probably a little screen telling me if things are charged or not, may be good enough. I am not sure if I need to go down the rabbit hole of detailed info on this system, but others would know more than me. What do I need? What do I really need? What is good to have?
The one item I would get is the victron smart shunt, it will be the best basic way to monitor your system using Bluetooth, best overall fuel gage it shows the big picture and is super easy to use

the Cerbo gx will do more and give a more detailed explanation of all the systems statuses but it is about 4-5 times the cost with the screen

I purchased the Lifepower 4 communications hub with these batteries. Isn't that going to provide me the same info that smart shunt is going to?

If you want to use it to communicate with the victron components I think you need a Cerbo then but I’m not positive, my thoughts are a shunt is the most reliable and basic to monitor your battery status and it can be independent of the rest of the system as a extra information source

Back