diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone know what this connector is - where to get another?

OffGridForGood

Catch, make or grow everything you can.
This is the quick-connect on my MPP 2724 AIO Inverter DC supply (from the battery).

image1 (1).jpeg
I thought this would be a special version of Anderson PowerPole, but when I search those connectors this one doesn't seem to be offered anywhere.
I have looked on MPP's site for spares and connectors, and don't see this one listed. If no-one knows what this is, I will reach out to MPP.

The connector measures about 1.25 inches (32mm) wide (ie not very large) and is two rows of three terminals. There are clips on each side, that hold the connector firmly to the inverter side of the connector. There are no model numbers or writing on the connection at all. The wire they use is three pos and three neg, and I expect they did this to keep the amperage of each within the limits of the connection/and smaller cheaper wire. This inverter can draw up to 2700 watts (plus a bit) so each terminal in the connector could be 37.5A maybe over 40A for a short surge load. Anyone recognize this thing? know where I can get more?

looks like powerpole. Do you need 3x2 format? I can only see 2x2 or 4x2 like these...
or individual plugs like these...
thought this guy seems to have a 2x3 holder...
2cf3d86632f121b813fd937fb2bafdff-jpg.56619

image was from this thread..

IME of connector shopping, would be easier to replace this with new power poles and buy connector for it like @SeaGal mentioned.

PowerPoles also stick together, so if it’s not mounted to a panel, you could put six connectors together 3x2 or 2x3 or 6x1 and then electrical tape them or heat shrink them.

My hunt for electrical connectors where I found my connector was a Mollex connector, I thought would be easy. I then found out Mollex had thousands of different connectors in stock and I did not find a matching connector. Many many hours later I gave up my search and used a connector I had on hand.

thought this guy seems to have a 2x3 holder...
2cf3d86632f121b813fd937fb2bafdff-jpg.56619

image was from this thread..
That looks right, I wonder if the holder is sold separately, and then just buy the single Power Pole connectors, and clip them side by side into sets of three in the holder. I see the single power pole connectors widely available. I should take the one I have apart and see how this is constructed internally.
Thanks for the links.

I then found out Mollex had thousands of different connectors in stock and I did not find a matching connector. Many many hours later I gave up my search and used a connector I had on hand.
I have 120A Anderson connectors...on a shelf. So that is another option.

For now, I just cut the cable shorter, and reinstalled the connector - LOL.

Well that was actually not too much work to find online:
The case is a 2x3 to hold standard powerpole 15-45A single connectors (that clip together and then are held in the case)
The 2x3 is called "Powerpole 14600 G23" and is available as both the receptical and the plug. The plug is also available with the side latches (like mine) or without the side latches.
Plug without side latches - PP 14600 G23 - 5527
Plug with the side latches - PP 14600 G23 - 5530 $3.85 each plus ship.
The Inverter recepticle side is PP 14600 G23 - 5524
Available online from DelCity (pretty easy website to navigate)

Hi, I was wanting to get ahold of these connectors and use a 2 or 1 gage wire , I read that some owners of this inverters have had problems with the cable melting

Hi, I was wanting to get ahold of these connectors and use a 2 or 1 gage wire , I read that some owners of this inverters have had problems with the cable melting
The same MPP 2724 inverter?
Looking at these connectors, they are rated 15, 30 or 45A per connection, I don't see a 1AWG or 2AWG fitting these.
Maybe #8AWG is the largest that will go into the connector...45A makes sense with this.

If you want an Anderson Connector that will work with 1 or 2AWG is going to be the 175A Anderson connector.

Do you think the cable size supplied with the Mpp2724 is adequate for the unit?
Lets put it to the test:
They use a 2 x 3 anderson mono-pole system, with three Neg cables, three Pos cables.
The cables are all 10AWG with 105 C rated insulation.
The max load the MPP 2724 can carry is 2700 watts, - suppose we use the worst case expample - the battery is in low SOC and running at 23v, and full 2700W = 117 Amps shared across three conductors = 39A each. The label on the inverter lists max amperage DC as 123 ie 41A each wire.
The cable is short and they expect the battery to be set close to the inverter. less than one meter wire length is provided with the inverter.
Looking up the max amperage for these cables online, I see 41 amp is within the capacity even at 90C.

In my own experience with the unit, I mostly run tools and occationally a small portable wire feed MIG welder. I have never noticed the cables get more than warm to the touch.

Lets put it to the test:
They use a 2 x 3 anderson mono-pole system, with three Neg cables, three Pos cables.
The cables are all 10AWG with 105 C rated insulation.
The max load the MPP 2724 can carry is 2700 watts, - suppose we use the worst case expample - the battery is in low SOC and running at 23v, and full 2700W = 117 Amps shared across three conductors = 39A each. The label on the inverter lists max amperage DC as 123 ie 41A each wire.
The cable is short and they expect the battery to be set close to the inverter. less than one meter wire length is provided with the inverter.
Looking up the max amperage for these cables online, I see 41 amp is within the capacity even at 90C.

In my own experience with the unit, I mostly run tools and occationally a small portable wire feed MIG welder. I have never noticed the cables get more than warm to the touch.
Is this common with MPP? I have seen double leads inside inverters and batteries to share loads but not for external connections.

Is this common with MPP? I have seen double leads inside inverters and batteries to share loads but not for external connections.
MPP make a lot of different Inverters, some are EU market (50hz 230 volt) some are 3-phase, some are dedicated for well pumps.
I have three models: MPP 6048 x 3 , MPP 2724, MPP 1012 ; but only the 2724 has this set up, and it appears to me to be so they can support an easy plug in application to the inverter. It is a nice easy plug to handle even with gloves on, and smaller than a 175A anderson plug would be to fit into the small inverter case.

Ah, the quest for the elusive connector! Those MPP inverters sound like a diverse bunch. It's interesting that only the 2724 has this particular setup – must be handy for that easy plug-and-play application.

If you're on the hunt for another one, perhaps checking out this link might lead you to something useful: https://partmold.com/collection/agricultural-intelligence-mold Who knows, you might find a connector or mold that fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited:
Back