diy solar

diy solar

Does solar panel clamps affect snow removal?

rhino

Solar Wizard
How much affect does using those clamps have on ability to clear snow off of panels? My current ground mounts have the panels bolted to the mount and it is very easy to clear any snow off of the panels. I was concerned if I used clamps on another ground mount that it might either prevent snow from sliding off as easy and/or make clearing snow off with a squeegee I use harder. During winter the array would be at about 60° (yes, snow still can accumulate with that amount of tilt).

How much affect does using those clamps have on ability to clear snow off of panels? My current ground mounts have the panels bolted to the mount and it is very easy to clear any snow off of the panels. I was concerned if I used clamps on another ground mount that it might either prevent snow from sliding off as easy and/or make clearing snow off with a squeegee I use harder. During winter the array would be at about 60° (yes, snow still can accumulate with that amount of tilt).
Your concerns are valid and accurate.

@rhino I have my panels mounted in portrait (2 high) on a ground mount system. I have found that the clips don't keep the snow up there. The snow still hangs at the base of the panels from the frame. I only went out to clear snow off them one time to try out the removal squeegee and being in portrait the clips weren't really an issue. I would hit one every now and again, but for the most part I would say they were not an issue at all.

Our temps here tend to be between 20-35F during the winter with it mosly staying around 30F, so the panels self clear very well with those temps. If you're consistently cooler then I suppose build up over time through winter could be an issue. My panels are at 35* fixed.

Back