diy solar

diy solar

Does Solar Pay for Itself? Is it worth it?

System I had installed in 2017. If the designers calculations hold true, I think it was worth the cost. Covers 100% of use in an old uninsulated farm house. First summer was a bust as family thought "free power" and left 3 window a/c running 24/7.
untitled-png.115372

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
Sorry not interested in “ end of civilisation “ scenarios. If that happens I’ll squat in my neighbours house
Not end of civilization, just a grid down for who knows how long scenario . With the supply side delays a big transformer(s) could take months to get.

If you are one of the few that have solar during end of civilization, you'll be a target for all the stupid folks without solar. I make sure I am loaded to the teeth.

If you are one of the few that have solar during end of civilization, you'll be a target for all the stupid folks without solar. I make sure I am loaded to the teeth.
That's a good point you have. Everybody's lights out except yours will definitely be a noticeable thing.

People will still have flashlights, lanterns, candles etc... It will not be total darkness.
If you are sensible and only light minimally the room you are in, preferably one not facing the street, off grid power need not be all that obvious.

Solar panels on the roof are no indication either. Just about all the grid tie people will be sitting in the dark, and most will be quite surprised.

People will still have flashlights, lanterns, candles etc... It will not be total darkness.
If you are sensible and only light minimally the room you are in, preferably one not facing the street, off grid power need not be all that obvious.

Solar panels on the roof are no indication either. Just about all the grid tie people will be sitting in the dark, and most will be quite surprised.
The mob will find you and take everything anyway.

Arm yourself to the teeth and you should last a few more days.

Not not good against 200 people looking for lights and warmth.

But seriously guys we need to move away from zombie apocalypse nonsense solar PV justification. It’s just abject nonsense.

Not end of civilization, just a grid down for who knows how long scenario . With the supply side delays a big transformer(s) could take months to get.
In 35 years of grid tied houses I’ve experienced 4-5 hours of disconnection total in that time. The Distribution Network Operator has huge repair infrastructure , vast spares and redundant networks

I know my parents lost power for 2 days in a big snow storm but solar would have been useless as it was December.

Justifying PV on some freaky end of world nonsense is just that.

PV needs to be economic ( 3-4) year ROI to be justifiable. Otherwise it’s just wasted capital.

Last edited:
a

The news that “ hey a bunch of stuck up rich guys have heat and light “ will get round the mob quickly. The sight of 200 people with pitchforks walking up your drive will be quite a sight. The drool will play havoc with the flower borders too

Don't be silly, none of these solar systems, or modern bulldozers are even going to be working after the EMPs. The only people left with electricity, but nothing to use it with, will be the Sol-Ark owners. :LOL:

The secret to getting through all this whole energy shortage crisis, is really to moving to a more user friendly climate, where very little heating or airconditioning is required. And if its also a peaceful place, so much the better.

Don't be silly, none of these solar systems, or modern bulldozers are even going to be working after the EMPs. The only people left with electricity, but nothing to use it with, will be the Sol-Ark owners. :LOL:
True. Another nail in the ROI justification for PV though.

The secret to getting through all this whole energy shortage crisis, is really to moving to a more user friendly climate, where very little heating or airconditioning is required. And if its also a peaceful place, so much the better.
It seems that any place like that would be highly desired, attracting more people, people being the problem. Gotta mountain man rough it in the middle of nowhere. Best keep it a secret too, if you have contractors and stuff help you build it, well, dead men tell no tales.

You guys are sooo depressing
Hey it’s all seemingly part of a highly rigorous thought thru PV justification process.

It’s “ forget about the cost “ think about how warm you’ll be during the fall of civilisation.

Great justification. Bit of a bummer for the rest of us that don’t see the world collapsing around our ears. My PV spreadsheet has $0 in the end of the world column.

Back