diy solar

diy solar

Does the SOL-Ark 8k have a similar feature (Power Assist) as in the Victron Multiplus II?

JeromeP

I'm trying to decide to go with DIY solar system using all Victron's components including (2) Multiplus II 48v, 5kva inverters/charger or the Sol-Ark 8K all-in-one converter.

I'm not certain if the Sol Ark has the capability (in an off grid system) to have a 3500 watt 120v portable generator connected to the AC input of inverter to supply power to the house main service panel, if the inverter will accept power from the generator first then from the solar panels, then if not enough power for the load demand, the inverter will draw power from the storage batteries to compensate to meet the entire load demand.

I'd prefer going with the DIY solar route but my having very little knowlege on solar energy and building a DIY system and not knowing all the NEC regulations and satisfying the home owners insurance inspector, I'd take the AIO inverter. I realize there may have to be some codes to follow, but I'm thinking an AIO inverter would satisfy the inspectors more easily.

Just be aware the 5kVa multiplus 2 is not yet UL listed. So if your local authority requires your solar equipment to be UL listed you are going to have trouble with the Victron option.

It will not accept 120v input, it must match whatever the output is (120/240, or 208, etc)

It is definitely capable of what you want with a 240v generator though.

Edit: If you already have the generator, then just use something like the chargeverter to put power into the batteries, and let the inverter supply power to loads 100% of the time.

It will not accept 120v input, it must match whatever the output is (120/240, or 208, etc)

It is definitely capable of what you want with a 240v generator though.

Edit: If you already have the generator, then just use something like the chargeverter to put power into the batteries, and let the inverter supply power to loads 100% of the time.
I originally considered that option earlier using a 48v charger, but hoping the Sol-Ark would automatically switch to one or the other or both (solar/generator) when load increases for the moment or two. This is still for an off-grid setup.

I read somewhere that once the UL is approved that a decal will be sent out to the Multiplus II 5K owners, do you know if this true?

I appreciate your YT channel, have learned a lot about your Victron equipment.

I read somewhere that once the UL is approved that a decal will be sent out to the Multiplus II 5K owners, do you know if this true?

I appreciate your YT channel, have learned a lot about your Victron equipment.
Can’t say that I’ve ever heard anyone say that before, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Thanks! Glad it’s helpful! It’s fun learning and bringing folks along for the ride.

I'm trying to decide to go with DIY solar system using all Victron's components including (2) Multiplus II 48v, 5kva inverters/charger or the Sol-Ark 8K all-in-one converter.

I'm not certain if the Sol Ark has the capability (in an off grid system) to have a 3500 watt 120v portable generator connected to the AC input of inverter to supply power to the house main service panel, if the inverter will accept power from the generator first then from the solar panels, then if not enough power for the load demand, the inverter will draw power from the storage batteries to compensate to meet the entire load demand.

I'd prefer going with the DIY solar route but my having very little knowlege on solar energy and building a DIY system and not knowing all the NEC regulations and satisfying the home owners insurance inspector, I'd take the AIO inverter. I realize there may have to be some codes to follow, but I'm thinking an AIO inverter would satisfy the inspectors more easily.
Are you considering 5K-1P or 5K-2P? The 5K-1P isn't split phase and possibly would work with 120 volt generator. I don't know about this model, but other Sol-Ark can do generator assist on the grid terminals but not on the Gen input.

The Midnite Rosie is worth considering. It's a 48v 7kw inverter and it can accept 120/240 input or a single leg of 120v (but still output 120/240v)...and it's UL listed...and has a far better surge capability vs the Sol-Ark. My parents are running their 3HP well pump on one and it's 540ft down in the ground...starts right up! It also will do power-assist-style limiting. They don't call it that, but you can limit the input current to prevent overloads.

It is not an all-in-one though - if you want solar you would have to add a charge controller.

EDIT: Midnite Rosie is manufactured in the USA

Last edited:
Are you considering 5K-1P or 5K-2P? The 5K-1P isn't split phase and possibly would work with 120 volt generator. I don't know about this model, but other Sol-Ark can do generator assist on the grid terminals but not on the Gen input.
I need split phase to run my well pump. even tho my electric water is 9000 watts, I'll go ahead and disconnect the top heating element shouls still be able run it on 120 Volt.

The Midnite Rosie is worth considering. It's a 48v 7kw inverter and it can accept 120/240 input or a single leg of 120v (but still output 120/240v)...and it's UL listed...and has a far better surge capability vs the Sol-Ark. My parents are running their 3HP well pump on one and it's 540ft down in the ground...starts right up! It also will do power-assist-style limiting. They don't call it that, but you can limit the input current to prevent overloads.

It is not an all-in-one though - if you want solar you would have to add a charge controller.

EDIT: Midnite Rosie is manufactured in the USA
Very impressive inverter!

Back