diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8k vs Sol-Ark 12k

lasuti

I'm looking at installing a new solar system with about 10kW of panels, batteries (probably EG4 LifePower4), and a generator. This would also be grid-tied with 1:1 net metering. I like the all-in-one concept and am going back and forth between the EG4 8k and Sol-Ark 12k. Obviously, the big difference is the cost. It sounds like the EG4 might be a newer product with some bugs they are still working out while the Sol-Ark sounds solid. This would be connected to my critical loads so it does need to be reliable. Does anyone have experience with either of these or another option? This will be my first DIY solar install.

Last edited:
Have you calculated your loads yet? What is your biggest single load?
Have you heard of MegaRevo, Deye, MPP solar?
What inverters are approved for use with net metering and your utility?

I'm working on calculating the loads, I'm ordering an Emporia Vue soon to dial it in. I currently run these loads of a 5300w generator though. 1.5HP well pump, refrigerator, lights, internet. Just backing up a critical loads panel, not the whole house. It does need to be UL listed.

FWIW, knowing opinions are like ..., I'm not in a camp that would go for the EG4 8kW inverter. They have had enough challenges on the 6-6.5kW line that I don't want to be a test case. The SolArk seems to meet my needs perfectly, although I will be going for the 15k when the time comes; I want the 200A bypass functionality.

That said, I do expect to buy EG4 batteries.

Yeah, I looked at the 15k with 200A bypass, but I won't have enough solar for the whole house and didn't want to have to play the breaker game when the grid goes down, so I downsized to the 12k with a critical loads panel.

I'm working on calculating the loads, I'm ordering an Emporia Vue soon to dial it in. I currently run these loads of a 5300w generator though. 1.5HP well pump, refrigerator, lights, internet. Just backing up a critical loads panel, not the whole house. It does need to be UL listed.
I'd highly recommend a clamp meter that handles inrush... How bad does your generator bog when the well pump kicks on?
Yeah, I looked at the 15k with 200A bypass, but I won't have enough solar for the whole house and didn't want to have to play the breaker game when the grid goes down, so I downsized to the 12k with a critical loads panel.
If you're into that budget check out the Schneider lineup, it will be modular but you can easily expand and add additional capacity to AC and DC side. Also the recently released Rosie from MidNite Solar may be a good option.

Don't make a decision on an inverter / AIO until you fully understand your loads and surge loads.

Don't make a decision on an inverter / AIO until you fully understand your loads and surge loads.
Very good point (and important to remind myself of); some needs don't mesh well with an AIO, sometimes it might be good to match an external SCC to the AIO. I tend to think a load profile with a lot of inrush events might not be one, at least not without an oversized unit. Also, understanding if the goal is utility bill reduction, self-sufficiency in energy, or preparation for grid outages (and of course off-grid).

An AIO simplifies a lot of things... until it breaks or malfunctions.

I think if you decide on the Sol Ark you should consider the 15k. No critical loads panel necessary and you have room for expansion as funds permit. It will run your whole home and not just critical loads. Easier install not having to wire up a critical loads panel.

As mentioned previously, motor starting current dictates inverter sizing. Due to you choosing a HF inverter, it is even more critical. You need to look at the pump motor nameplate (if visible) to determine the locked rotor amps (LRA). This is inrush. Clamp on meters do have peak functions, but to get true inrush amps functionality, it will cost more than your willing to spend. Cheap ones don’t do it well. There is online calculators to estimate motor LRA. Using this data, find your largest motor load, calculate its LRA, then lookup the inverters instantaneous output and compare. There should be significant margin of inverter instantaneous output above the motor LRA. Every HF inverter struggles with such a load. Quality LF not so much. The ratio of surge/nominal kva is much higher on LF inverters.

Worst case you could use a soft start, but will pull less peak amps, but higher than normal amps for a longer period, which might drive up inverter kw sizing if on the edge between two sizes.

Please check with your utility company FIRST. What inverters will they allow to connect to their grid. Are they accepting grid buy back new customers. Start with your utility. Or you can easily end up with a system that cannot sell back to the utility.

I am on a boat, two EG4 3k inverters and 12 rack batteries. I have had no problems at all. I wish their software monitor program was better, but it does work.

Unfortunately wills experience isn’t an anomaly. And given how much influence will has im sure they gave him the best units they had… and still a total dumpster fire.
I had all the same issues he had. I hate this thing and really hope they will return it for me. Waiting for "tier 2 tech support" to troubleshoot. I don't want to troubleshoot, I just want a refund.

I had all the same issues he had. I hate this thing and really hope they will return it for me. Waiting for "tier 2 tech support" to troubleshoot. I don't want to troubleshoot, I just want a refund.
Good luck with that… the only thing worse than the product is signature solars customer support. I’m actually amazed how bad it is… I didn’t think companies could get away with that anymore

engineering > youtube, social media, forums, etc.
That's true, but you can't just engineer by specs provided. You need to read about the common problems with the particular inverters and definitely consider the "support" aspect for any product.

I bought EG-4 6500 EXs after seeing successful implementation on Youtube and understanding that they had been in service for 1-2 years without further issues. That did not prepare me for having to change firmware or dealing with board changes to do N/G bonding. My application (mobile) was different from the video and frankly the hardware configuration changed by the time I bought inverters.

Another big difference is "idle draw" - some applications this is going to matter a lot.

These forums are filled with EG4 and Signature Solar issues but people still line up to buy the pain and disappointment. Across all product lines. I don’t get it.

Please check with your utility company FIRST. What inverters will they allow to connect to their grid. Are they accepting grid buy back new customers. Start with your utility. Or you can easily end up with a system that cannot sell back to the utility.

I am on a boat, two EG4 3k inverters and 12 rack batteries. I have had no problems at all. I wish their software monitor program was better, but it does work.
If your inverter is on the California Approved Solar Equipment list then it will be acceptable on any utility.

These forums are filled with EG4 and Signature Solar issues but people still line up to buy the pain and disappointment. Across all product lines. I don’t get it.
Guilty myself… it’s the too good to be true phenomenon…. They lay out ( and often even lie ) about specs and certification with a low low price that is almost too good to be true. So people fall for it. Honestly The only eg4 product I have never had issues with is the battery rack. That’s it and I’ve bought almost everything because I fell for the games. Jeez even the “30amp” 48v charger I bought from them turned out to be a fraud and only charge at half that,

Back