diy solar

diy solar

Don’t place panels flat on the grass

ryanyoder

Ok I learned not to place panels flat on the grass in Florida. The grass looks burnt. It will come back but that was not smart. I had 10 harbor freight 100 watt panels on their kickstand and thought I’d try flat to see how much wattage I could get mid day. Won‘t do that again.

I put 4 100 watt panels in my grass. Now I have a nice rectangular shaped brown spot. Although the weeds are trying to reclaim the spot. But since my backyard is all weeds, I don't really care. But I would care if it was nice green grass.

all is fun until something goes wrong, but grass, which was an expensive mistake for the world is not one of them. a monoculture that requires an inordinate amount of water is not something that I would worry about. now squash, lettuce, green beans cucumbers and other edible fruits nd veggies I would cry about. ;)

all is fun until something goes wrong, but grass, which was an expensive mistake for the world is not one of them. a monoculture that requires an inordinate amount of water is not something that I would worry about. now squash, lettuce, green beans cucumbers and other edible fruits nd veggies I would cry about. ;)
@kinyoubi Friday desuka?

Ok I learned not to place panels flat on the grass in Florida. The grass looks burnt. It will come back but that was not smart. I had 10 harbor freight 100 watt panels on their kickstand and thought I’d try flat to see how much wattage I could get mid day. Won‘t do that again.
As a young man with my first home I sprayed my whole front yard with weed killer stuff you buy at lowes. I did not understand that you dilute the liquid with a lot of water first..
if you think solar panels hurt grass ,it took about a year to even get weeks to try to grow…total brown and everything dead.

lesson learned.

Yes I have lived in Japan for over 35 years and between my time in the Marines and my time as a GS I worked for Japanese companies for about 10 years. now I am a contractor and have two companies of my own, one registered as a US company the other registered as a Japanese company.

Wow! I have lived here for 8 years now (it feels like less.. man, time sure does fly) Where in Japan are you? I am in the Ise-Shima area of Mie.

宜しくお願いします。

Wow! I have lived here for 8 years now (it feels like less.. man, time sure does fly) Where in Japan are you? I am in the Ise-Shima area of Mie.

宜しくお願いします。

this is my shop and soon to be retirement house. I currently live in Kanagawa and use the yamanashi house/shop as a wharehouse/workshop for larger projects.

Having done this myself, I can tell you that if you prop one end of the panels on something (I'm using some concrete blocks I had laying around) to get the end about 10 inches high, it avoids the grass burning issue by allowing airflow to keep things cool.

Having done this myself, I can tell you that if you prop one end of the panels on something (I'm using some concrete blocks I had laying around) to get the end about 10 inches high, it avoids the grass burning issue by allowing airflow to keep things cool.
you worrying too much Bro. its a monoculture that wastes water... get over it.

Why does no one mention the wonderful use of killing grass/weeds without herbicide? I did this too, just a few hour test of some panels. Absolutely dead under it for a month, then realized I could use this to start new garden beds. Works better than anything else, and if you’ve ever had to dig up grass to start a garden you know how hard and frustrating that is. Just lay some old cheap panels down for a day…

Back