diy solar

diy solar

Requesting thoughts on Panel Claw ballasted flat roof mounting systems (or similar)

dmalkinski

Hi all.

Been lurking for a while trying to learn enough to know how to ask questions -- Hopefully this one is OK.

Has anyone had any dealings with the folks at Panel Claw or their mounting systems?

I'm planning a DIY install for sometime in the next 90 days in Moca Puerto Rico. I'm renting the building where the install will be so no penetrating mounts. - Plus I want to take it with me to whatever place comes next.

I've been looking at non-penetrating ballasted roof mounts - "Googling it" I guess is more accurate - for a while and I came across these guys: https://www.panelclaw.com/clawfr and I'm wondering what you guys think. I didn't see any reference to them or their clawfr products in this forum when I searched.

- I like the idea of tool-less install/uninstall for the panels themselves because I will want to quickly remove the panels ahead of time in case of a real hurricane threat. (probably a few times every year). The ballasted mounts would stay on the roof all the time. I'm thinking something like their 5-degree tilt system with wind deflection would keep me in good shape for all the other "regular strength" weather.

I've recently reached out to their sales team - but in case my single DIY install of <10kw is not worth their time (or within my TBD budget) - can anyone recommend/point me in the direction of similar (tool-less panel install/uninstall) flat roof mounting systems?

Last edited:
I'm used to seeing a lot more ballast-- at least one block per panel and two on the sides/ends. Is it really rated for hurricane force winds that you get in PR?
@Shimmy - thanks for chiming in.

The short answer is "I don't know but I think so?" What is your intuition?

I think the recommended ballast depends on the install. I'm guessing their demo videos are for showing the concepts in as little time as possible. They do mention up to 8 blocks per module. Somewhere else they mention additional racking for additional ballast on the sides. I'm not trying to save money on concrete blocks so over-ballasting (if that's a thing) is OK by me.

According to their brochure -> Basic Wind SpeedUp to 190 mph(>190 mph by approval) - I'm sure there are a ton of caveats with that.

Hurricane Maria in 2017 landed as a Category 4 with 1 minute sustained winds of 155 MPH. I think they were closer to 70MPH by the time they got to the west side of the island where my install will be.

The best assurance you can get is Miami/Dade approval. Otherwise, it looks like it should comply based on the information you found. Do they have a ballast table or something? While the cost of the brick might not be a huge issue, many roofs aren't really designed for significant weight.

Like a lot of places in Puerto Rico, the roof is "flat" surface 4-inch reinforced concrete with plenty of supporting walls underneath. Not sure what that equates to for load capacity.

Regarding Power Claw - I haven't received a response from my request to their sales team. Other google-fu indicates they are commercial-oriented and would only sell to installers and distributors.

Saw an interview with the CEO from a few years ago where he mentioned in 13 years he's never heard of a panel being lost - including 20k modules installed in PR using their system prior to hurricane Maria. It's an amazing claim so I'm taking it with a grain of salt... I mean - just because no one reported it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Plus I'm not sure if that includes any ballast-only systems or even if the clawfr system was used.

At any rate - If it's true that means there should be installers/distribution here on the island I can connect with. I wouldn't mind seeing some smaller installs in person, too, if I can find someone willing to show me some.

I'm still wondering if the type of mounting system that Panel Claw (minimal hardware for the racking and tool-less install/uninstall of the modules) is truly unique to them. It looks amazingly simple so I'm having a hard time believing no one else has a similar take. I am, however, prepared to be completely wrong.

I think you should buy a couple and test them out. With most solar equipment you just have to buy and try it. And share your results with others.

I'm always interested in finding new ballast mounts. They look good but yeah probably needs more weight.

I'm not sure if roof penetration is worse than the added weight from the ballasts. I know it's a rental so your options are limited.

Have you considered a ground mount?

I think you should buy a couple and test them out.
That's the direction I'm headed. I'm relatively convinced they will "work" - I still need to learn whether the idea of removing the panels prior to hurricane winds is a good one. Somewhere in the interview(linked above" they mention that the low angle of the panels actually helps with the downdraft. I would think the racking itself would be much less likely to move without the panels attached -- but all I know about wind is that it's usually applies way more force than you'd expect.
They look good but yeah probably needs more weight.
They show 2.3 psf to 8.0 psf for their 5-degree tilt. @Will Prowse Is there a ballpark psf you're thinking of?

Have you considered a ground mount?
Yes - not enough flat/unobstructed land on the rental property, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back