diy solar

diy solar

Driveway gate opener

BVCastle

Fairly new to solar and it appears I backed myself into a corner. I have a sliding gate opener. And in looking at it I saw an indicator for 24v. After some research I purchased a SUNER POWER 20 Watts Mono Crystalline 12V Solar Panel and two 12v batteries. Went to hook it up and discovered the 24v I saw was for accessories not the gate itself. Bought an inverter but discovered it takes 12v/49amps input so that's not going to work with my little system. Any way to recover other than digging a 150' ditch and burying a 110v line?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice

Bill

Please give us some details regarding the ACTUAL power requirements of the gate opener motor. Preferably the installation guide electrical connection section, specification sheet for the gate opener or pics of the electrical rating plate.
Knee Jerk opinion: If its only 150' to the gate, probably going to be easier and less cost to just dig the ditch and put in some UG conduit and wiring. Long term its certainly going to be less maintenance. If you like the idea of solar and want to proceed, post the requested gate opener data so the equipment can be selected based on actual load conditions.

Thanks for getting back to me. It is 110v/60Hz and 280W. Is that what you are looking for?

I was trying to avoid digging. We live in an area that was the recipient of a glacier passing through and dumping a boatload of rocks. ?

280 Watts sounds like its on the low side for a sliding gate opener, must be a fairly light weight gate? We don't know what kind of motor it is to estimate start up surge. An AC induction motor will have a MUCH larger surge than an electronically controlled DC motor like is found in some garage doors.

If the gate takes 1 minute to open and close (30 sec each way) and you use it 20 times per day. That is only 280W x 0.33Hrs = 92.4Wh
Lets round off to 100Wh per day. Your 20W, 12V solar panel would be expected to produce about 100Wh per day on average but less on cloudy days so I would say its marginal at best and probably undersized but may work for an initial set up.

If your inverter can pull 49A at 12V then it sounds like a 500W model. However, if your gate opener only needs 280W then the Inverter only uses the amount of power it actually needs. 280W/12V = 23.3A (actually a little more due to inefficiencies) BUT this does not take into account the potential surge current necessary when a motor starts up. Here again a 500W Inverter is marginal in the best case and way undersized if we are talking about an AC induction motor that has surge of 5x the operating current. I would recommend a minimum of a 1,000 Watt Inverter. Before proceeding we must have more specifics about the gate opener motor type and what is referred to as LRA. Locked Rotor Amps.

If you have 2 x 12V batteries they probably have sufficient Amp Hour capacity to open and close the gate several times and store the necessary solar energy. Are they rated for the peak Amperage Surge which we don't know at this point.

Sorry, we have not answered your question in entirety. I hope it gives you some clarity and identifies what the next steps are.

I've added some pictures as you suggested to add clarity. So one of my questions is could I add a larger battery to get the amps hours I need? And would that be a negative impact to the controller? Those may be a dumb questions, I'm on the edge of my knowledge and understanding.

Thanks again for your help

Bill

The controller that came with the solar panel

20220613_132637.jpg

One of the two identical batteries I purchased for the setup

20220613_132701.jpg

One of the stickers inside the gate opener

20220613_133116.jpg

Another sticker inside the gate opener
20220613_133130.jpg
20220613_133152.jpg
20220613_133200.jpg