diy solar

diy solar

Dual EG4 18kPV setup questions

treeder

We are attempting to install solar to a home which has a 400 Amp service and a existing standby generator connected thru an ATS.

The goal would be to full home back up. We are thinking a dual 18kPV system with 4 PowerPros to start.

Are the EG4 systems capable of monitoring consumption of a 400 Amp service and is possible to integrate the ATS into the system?

Each 18kpv can do 200A of pass through. If the 400A panel was set up with 2 x 200A breakers feeding the AC input of the inverters separately and each inverter powered a 200A subpanel that would work.

Or if both inverters need to feed into a single 400A panel then a line side tap is required and each inverter would have to be protected by a 200A breaker or a fusible disconnect.

Needs to feed into a single 400A panel.

With regards to the generator, any thoughts on how to do that? Would you split the generator input to the two 18k's too?

Last edited:
I would split the generator output and feed into both inverters. That gives some redundancy in case one inverter is not working. Not being an expert on the 18kpv specifically, I would refer you to the manual and/or the supplier regarding operating parameters of 2 x 18kpv inverters running in parallel.

EDIT: Clarification of my post yesterday at 5:43. Since the 18kpv has a 200A load breaker built in that may be sufficient for overcurrent protection such that a line side tap could be attached directly to the AC input terminals. This would depend on distance and the local code requirements.

Last edited:
We are attempting to install solar to a home which has a 400 Amp service and a existing standby generator connected thru an ATS.

The goal would be to full home back up. We are thinking a dual 18kPV system with 4 PowerPros to start.

Are the EG4 systems capable of monitoring consumption of a 400 Amp service and is possible to integrate the ATS into the system?

This is possible and we have example diagrams in the works.

@EG4_Jared That would be very helpful. Please share as soon as possible, trying to plan out a fairly large system and this is a critical part of it.

I'm not sure when these will be finalized, however, I will definitely post them as soon as I have them available to me.

What’s your generator size? Have you measured your actual consumption? I have a neighbor with 400A service who shares a 25KVA grid transformer with two other houses. 🤓

I don't think it's a question of need, it's already purchased and setup.

Back