diy solar

diy solar

dual inverters but not in split phase

justinm001

Solar Addict
My coach is different than most, it was setup to run a lot of equipment for trainings so I have a TON of outlets and 6 rooftop AC units all setup to run off the 20Kw genset. I have 2 inverters a 12V quattro 5000 and a 48v quattro 5000 each with 2 5kw rack batteries and a cerboGX with their own shunt and everything. My 1800 (soon to be 3600w) solar is connected to my 48V and my 270a alternator is connected to my 12V using a wakespeed to manage lithium, I have lights, water pump and macerator toilet on 12V. Have a separate 12v genset battery and starter runs off 4 12v in a series/parallel for 24V with a vanner to equalize as it runs some 12V.

i know i need a wiring diagram ill get it soon :)
I've just rewired my inverters so the 50amp shore as each hot leg goes into each inverter then they share the neutral and ground, all 50amp 6gauge wire. I wired the genset 100amp 4ga wire the same way into in2 on each inverter. I then have 100a 4ga wire on out1 of each inverter sharing the ground and neutral to my 2 breaker panels so basically every other breaker is split between inverters including 3 ACs on each inverter.

I've found this is the best setup for me as it gives me redundancy and options to use either inverter or both depending on how I'm camping. If i'm daytripping i'll use the 12V as it'll recharge via alternator but if boondocking for weekend i'll use 48V as it'll recharge from solar. IF on shore it doesn't matter.

For plugging in I can use a 50amp shore and get 50amps to each inverter, if using 30amp i use a 50 to 30 dogbone and it'll split 15a on each leg. The inverters have a minimum input of 13.6a so I just got 2 15amp plugs that'll allow me to plug in extension cords to either or both if I have 2 15a breakers. I found this is ideal as if i'm on 30amp I can use VRM and actually switch one inverter to invert only mode and set the other to use all 30amps then flip it back to each 15amps.

I don't think there's any risk in overloading the system as the 50amp shore is split phase and everything past the inverters are 100amp 4 gauge and the Quattros support 100amps on each wire. I don't think I can physically use more than 50amps on each leg anyways unless the inverters are also bulk charging which they'll limit input anyways and the only input over 50amps is the genset which is 80 on each leg.

The problem comes as I want to setup a buddy plug so when camping friends can use my system and I don't need to hear their loud genset. I plan on wiring this up with 4 gauge using out2 on each inverter. It won't have split phase which isn't really an issue as its very rare for RVs to use 240v anyways. BUT I want to use the system as a backup for my house incase power outage. I have a manual transfer switch already setup at my home and everything was setup for a genny so I just swapped the plug to match my 50amp rv plug so i can use same cables. My house uses 240v for HVAC which is needed in an outage. If I'm using my RV to power my house i'll be using the genset which is 240v but I don't know if it'll passthru that split phase through the inverters or will it be out of phase? Is there any way to force out2 on the quattro to only passthru? I can just wire up the genset to have a buddy plug on its input but didn't want 2 buddy plugs if i can avoid it.

Also any thoughts on a good way to wire up a 48 to 12v DC charger so it'll only turn on when 12V is like 30% and 48V is above 80%? This way everything could run off solar when not in use I have plenty of relays on all my equipment and both have Cerbo's so shouldn't be hard just not sure of ideal way

I need to double check I have 4 gauge wiring coming from my inverters to circuit panels, might be 6 gauge.

I just picked up a Extech DL160 which looks like it has 2 channels to log voltages or current so I plan on plugging into the neutral coming into the inverter and going out of the inverter to make sure all good. I still need to play with it though as it shows 0 or 600 on min/max and not really sure how to use.

I'm also still having an issue where I can't run even 1 AC off my 12V inverter. What's weird is I had 95% battery AND my alternator was charging 2500w and I ran the AC fan fullblast for a few minutes before cutting the compressor on and it'll shut off all my 12v for a few seconds then turn on. I have my cerbos on a 12V ups so they stay on but when the voltage gets low it resets my firefly system which has an AC button that gives 12v to the thermostats. Tried this about 10 times today. A couple times it actually turned off the Inverter which I'm also still having an issue with the Cerbo needing vecan unplugged to turn the inverter back on.

I don't understand why the 12v voltage would drop so low especially when my alternator is pumping a ton of power in and voltage is above 14v.

One thing is I hooked up a battery meter to the lugs on the inverter and turned o e EG4 battery off than the other just to test voltages and noticed one was rock solid while the other would fluctuate .05 volts.

The 48V inverter was able to run 2 AC units no problem, one with easystart and other without.

I tried 2 AC units on 12V but still same issues. One of them is a furrion 15.5k which should have a built in soft start. If on shore I'm able to get it running but it dims my 12v lights when it works.

I'm going to try this device on the 12v lugs to see how much amperage it tries to pull. It's 4/0 gauge but I'm thinking I might double the wiring just to be certain

Back