diy solar

diy solar

EB3A "Overload" When Used as Uninterruptible Power Supply

Rabbit

After a quick search I've found no previous mention of this problem, so... Last night I for the first time used my Bluetti EB3A as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for my CPAP. About 2-3 hours into my night's sleep it shut down, showing an "overload" indication despite the fact that my CPAP only draws at most 40 watts. I contacted a friend who runs a computer-related business and was experimenting with two EB3A's as UPS's. He said that both had failed recently in exactly the same way under light loads, and that as a result he was no longer considering using them more widely for this purpose. Of the units I personally know of that're being used in this way that's a 100% failure rate, in my case on the very first night and on an important piece of medical equipment. (I have pretty severe apnea, and my head is still pounding as the direct result of this failure.) All units involved were fully software-updated.

This part is pure speculation. I noticed early on that in UPS mode the EB3A seemed to generate a small amount of heat even when there was no substantial electrical load on the device and it was fully charged. Perhaps the "overload" protection is triggered by heat, and this waste heat (from whatever unknown source) is enough to trigger it after a "soaking" period of hours?

Whatever the cause is, Bluetti specifically markets the EB3A as suitable for CPAP's and I'm far from the only CPAP user that can potentially die in the event of failure. (This is why I set up a power-outage backup in the first place.) I think they have a Big, Big Problem here and may not be aware of it yet.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem in UPS mode but it ran for a few days doing 220w connected to a ups which had a few mini-servers, router, etc. Then 2bmore time later that day...

I just got a replacement today to test again... I think they know the issue and I fear it is poorly designed or some parts in some units....

I posted a very similar report on the Bluetti forum. Since that time I've gotten multiple reports of exactly this same issue occurring direct from other Bluetti forum members, some posted there publicly and some in private messages. Yes, I think they've got a _major_ problem on their hands. They privately told me not to use my EB3A for medical devices anymore, yet their advertising on Amazon (the last time I checked) spotlights exactly this (in the form of CPAPs) as an appropriate product application. Presumably this is true of other advertising venues as well. I'm no lawyer, but that sure screams both product misrepresentation (now that they know there's a problem) and admitted liability to me. It's rare but people can and do die over CPAP failures. Plus, there's a ton of other perhaps more potentially lethal medical devices that people are going to want to back up as well. IMO what's needed here is some kind of major corrective program perhaps up to and including a recall, lest someone die and Bluetti be sued into oblivion. But it's their company and their decision to make, not mine. As I said on the Bluetti forum, I've done my part by informing them. From here on in it's 100% their lookout.

They also offered to either replace my EB3A or refund me. I turned them down, on the grounds that there's very likely some sort of major engineering or defective-part problem (and I suspect it's engineering, since there's some limited evidence that the fault may be caused by refrigerator compressors and the like kicking in, creating power surges on the same household curcuit). So, very likely the new one would be no better than what I already have. Given this and the fact that I really like the EB3A overall and that backup isn't the main function I bought and need it for, plus what a pain in the ass a return would be since I've already tossed the box, it's just not worth the bother. I'll simply never use it again for backing up anything important and call it a day.

Last edited:
No problems with mine in UPS mode. 1 month now. If I put it in "silent mode", there is only a slight warming on the top, fan does not run. I has been a good little unit for me. Too bad you got a bad one.

Thank you. I actually think that the EB3A is a bit of a game-changer, in that it uses relatively few batteries proportional to its inverter output. For a lot of users who don't need a ton of watt-hours in reserve this keeps costs, bulk, and weight down without compromising performance in any way they'll actually miss. As I said above, I really like mine even if its not fully functional.

Well, at least so far, it's been a handy little unit. I have other, larger pps's , but the EB3A is just so convenient, and my only one with UPS. I hope they get the bugs worked out.

Mine is overloading if just left plugged into mains with both AC and DC off. Seems to do it within 48 hours, and the battery charge is down to 75% or lower by the time I notice.

It has also done it running in UPS mode with low 10W load and 150W load. In both those cases the battery eventually runs out and I'm left wondering why my internet is dead when I get home.

I got my replacement 3 days ago and it hasn't happened yet. Last time it worked for a week or so before failing with an overload.

I switched to powering my tv+soundbar instead of servers/router this time, so the load is 6w-idle and 160w-on. I will switch it over to the real use in a week or so if it doesn't overload while running low loads in UPS mode.

I did find it interesting that I saw it below 100% once, and charging. I figured in UPS mode the battery would not be used at all.

Mine overloaded this morning and it was just running the Wi-Fi router. I’ve owned it for five days.

New data point: My EB3A draws 6 watts when OFF according to my Kill-A-Watt meter. Does anyone else does the same?
Also it's consistently warm around the wireless charging pad when plugged in. I disconnected it for now since it's just wasting electricity.

Mine did this twice yesterday and I was able to restart from the app. I saw there was a firmware update and applied it. Let’s see if that helps.

Just found this thread and this is terrible news. I am using one to power a starlink and pepwave modem/router and have had this same thing happen in the first week of use. I have also found that if I switch my RV from shore power to solar power there is a long enough delay my devices power cycle. If I just unplug the EB3A the devices do not power cycle. I can't understand how this would be different but have tested it a few times and it is happening every time. Total draw of both devices is 40w-160w per my kilowatt meter.

@Rabbit I am curious about this statement:
"the fault may be caused by refrigerator compressors and the like kicking in, creating power surges on the same household circuit"
Is this something you found in forums (I could not)? It could explain my issue of switching power sources vs when I just unplug the unit from a constant power source.

Good news.... The replacement unit is running without errors for more than a week.

Maybe it is just a game of numbers and chances like the lottery...

Just found this thread and this is terrible news. I am using one to power a starlink and pepwave modem/router and have had this same thing happen in the first week of use. I have also found that if I switch my RV from shore power to solar power there is a long enough delay my devices power cycle. If I just unplug the EB3A the devices do not power cycle. I can't understand how this would be different but have tested it a few times and it is happening every time. Total draw of both devices is 40w-160w per my kilowatt meter.

"the fault may be caused by refrigerator compressors and the like kicking in, creating power surges on the same household circuit"
Is this something you found in forums (I could not)? It could explain my issue of switching power sources vs when I just unplug the unit from a constant power source.
Hi, Captain! Sorry about the delay, just went through a hurricane and have much to do.

There is a Bluetti owner's forum, run by Bluetti, but so far it looks pretty fair and open. I started a very similar thread to this one there; in fact the original post was largely cut-and-paste. Someone replied there that power surges from a fridge on the same circuit seemed to be causing the failures. The forum in general is at

and the thread is at

The post in question is the third down. Hope this helps!

The last week I’ve been running a 20”box fan (50watts) in UPS mode and did receive the “overload” warning twice. This was the first two nights. I’ve since unplugged the wall charging cable and replugged in. I noticed if the cable isn’t seated just right the Eb3a won’t go into ups mode. I’ve also noticed about every hour there is an audible click and the sound of what appears to be a fan ramping up but then clicks again and goes silent. This only last about .5 seconds. I’m assuming the battery is dropping to 99% and the charging is kicking in. I wonder if some people are getting an “overload” warning due to the sudden draw of charging the battery on top of what ever device they are powering through the Eb3a.

Question for the EB3A users.

It is clear that using this power station in UPS mode for medical devices is dangerous If not lethal.

In UPS mode the AC load is fed directly from the AC mains and the battery only kicks in when there is a power failure. This results in less battery aging and higher efficiency. (Just checking that what I know is correct)

If the station is used in "normal" mode, won't it act as If it was a UPS too?
I mean, in normal mode the battery is constantly charged by the mains and discharged simultaneously; thus the load is uninterruptedly fed (even during power failure), or am I wrong? The problem of this way of operating is that the battery will age faster.

I have seen some of these stations (I think it was Ecoflow) that during charging are able to by-pass some current directly into the load. Can't EB3A do the same and as result age less the battery even If it is not a real UPS operation?

Happy to hear your answers.

Extra: Why the prices of these type of items are like just 2/3 the European price in America? Somebody told them about the energy crisis we're going through? Lucky Americans!

I have two EB3As that are both less than one month old, and are both giving me the overload error. Electrical motors, compressors, etc, look like a short to the power source when they are first turned on. That means there will be an initial current spike that can affect other devices on the same circuit. I once had a CD player get toasted by a radial arm saw that was also on the same home circuit. I also suspect that these EB3As are susceptible to said spikes. About the only way I can see about catching the overload condition is to put a watt-hour logging meter inline with the AC voltage input.

Unfortunately my replacement had 3 overload failures in the past 2 days. Will follow up again to see what they say.

Pretty sure they are going to say that they don't know what the issue is. Just my two cents here, but they seem to have a LOT of design issues that make me question who they have as engineers. Input filtering and spike protection is part of a UPS system. PERIOD. If your engineers don't understand the ramifications of claiming and then failing to cater to CPAP users, this is just inexcusable IMO. Now it has become a legal risk for Bluetti. Smarter marketing folks would not have made that claim without some serious product testing/proof. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'm returning both of mine in the event that the company folds due to getting sued. Then you will be stuck with what you bought.

Back