diy solar

diy solar

Eco flow Delta pro... Can you use a predator 2000 gas generator to charge on a cloudy day?

brightbulb

I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere to the question, is there any way to use a regular little gas generator to charge my EcoFlow Delta Pro, since my smart generator has kicked the bucket? I have a Predator 2000 pure sine wave gas generator that I put everything electrical on when it's cloudy here. But it seems like there should be a way to charge the delta without using it's EcoFlow named generator. I am off-grid so plugging it into the house isn't an option.

Yes, you just have to determine which way is best....plug it in to the generateo 120 ac
or you can charge via the 12v if that is an option...

Yes, you just have to determine which way is best....plug it in to the generateo 120 ac
or you can charge via the 12v if that is an option...
But with what kind of plug? The delta has a weird input plug to the eco smart generator. Not sure how to connect the predator to it.

Just plug in your provided wall charging cable into the back of the DP and the front of the Predator. You can change the charging speed (if needed) within the Ecoflow app (and you may also need to flip the switch that's next to the plug in spot on the back of the DP from slow to fast or fast to slow depending on what you are trying to adjust your speed to).
Untitled-1.jpg

What is the required AC charge current on the Ecoflow?

I have 2 power stations that require 1500 watts minimum AC or won't charge. Need a genny that will handle that.

AC Charging1800W Max, 120V AC, 15A; 3000W Max, 240V AC, 12.5A
I don't think there's a minimum... the low setting on the ac input limit is 400 w

Just plug in your provided wall charging cable into the back of the DP and the front of the Predator. You can change the charging speed (if needed) within the Ecoflow app (and you may also need to flip the switch that's next to the plug in spot on the back of the DP from slow to fast or fast to slow depending on what you are trying to adjust your speed to).
View attachment 176765
Thank you thank you thank you!! I'm sorry I'm helpless.. appreciate ya

Hey thank you guys so much! That AC cable is working, I picked up one from Walmart. I probably have the wall cord that came with the Delta but I'm not sure where it is ATM. I'll check storage when I get out there. I did have to put the DP on slow changing speed because the lil predator couldn't handle 1600 watt output. It's charging the DP at about 550 watts.

Hey thank you guys so much! That AC cable is working, I picked up one from Walmart. I probably have the wall cord that came with the Delta but I'm not sure where it is ATM. I'll check storage when I get out there. I did have to put the DP on slow changing speed because the lil predator couldn't handle 1600 watt output. It's charging the DP at about 550 watts.

Just as a heads up - EF says not to use cables that aren't the ones that come with it for this kind of charging. The reasoning is/can be that cords that will technically fit this can come with plenty of different devices but are not rated to carry the kind of power through it and can cause problems/fires because of overheating (think of situations similar to when people plug in portable heaters into extension cords).

Just picking up a cable at Walmart that "fits" is something I'd hesitate to do - even if you're only charging at 550 watts. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious and your mileage may vary.

I hate telling others how to spend money - but if you can't find the cord that came with your unit, you can buy one online for $20-25.

Just as a heads up - EF says not to use cables that aren't the ones that come with it for this kind of charging. The reasoning is/can be that cords that will technically fit this can come with plenty of different devices but are not rated to carry the kind of power through it and can cause problems/fires because of overheating (think of situations similar to when people plug in portable heaters into extension cords).

Just picking up a cable at Walmart that "fits" is something I'd hesitate to do - even if you're only charging at 550 watts. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious and your mileage may vary.

I hate telling others how to spend money - but if you can't find the cord that came with your unit, you can buy one online for $20-25.
Absolutely.

A Walmart cord likely has 16 or 18gauge conductors… NOT for a load capable of 1800W draw!

Please find the original cord. Or get one with at LEAST 14Ga conductors… or plan for a fire.

Absolutely.

A Walmart cord likely has 16 or 18gauge conductors… NOT for a load capable of 1800W draw!

Please find the original cord. Or get one with at LEAST 14Ga conductors… or plan for a fire.
This is also something that crossed my mind, don't worry. The cord performed well in an emergency, I was only able to charge the delta at 500-600w as the predator was only able to handle that. The cord was fine. I am going to storage to see if I do have the original EF, and if I don't, I'll buy a new one on line. Don't worry guys I was watching that Walmart cord!

I got a heavy duty one coming in the mail tomorrow. Amazon had a 16g rated for 1880 watts. Not that the predator would be able to push it but I don't need a fire in the connex. Thanks again for you guys and your concern and helpfulness!

I got a heavy duty one coming in the mail tomorrow. Amazon had a 16g rated for 1880 watts. Not that the predator would be able to push it but I don't need a fire in the connex. Thanks again for you guys and your concern and helpfulness!
Just checking back in here.... and I will re-iterate that I would suggest just buying the official cable for $20-25. 16g is probably not ideal for 1880 watts no matter what they tell you on the packaging.

Even if you are only charging at the lower levels, you're still risking things. Let's just pretend that someone else winds up with that thing for one reason or the other and they just plug that into a wall outlet and set it to charge at a higher rate because they assume that's the cable it came with and don't know any better....

Again - maybe I'm just way too cautious, but it seems like you're willing to risk a whole heck of a lot in order to save like $10 on a cable for your $3000-ish dollar device and home/RV/wherever you keep it at.

Odd that you had to slow charge. I have one of those at my camp that I used for years and could pull 1600+ watts all day long with the AirCon and lights and full size fridge and all. I wonder if the heavier cord would solve that issue. :unsure:

Odd that you had to slow charge. I have one of those at my camp that I used for years and could pull 1600+ watts all day long with the AirCon and lights and full size fridge and all. I wonder if the heavier cord would solve that issue. :unsure:
Ditto - in fact as a temporary measure, I was feeding my first EG4 6500EX-48 with the Predator 2000W as the input. I had dialed down the charge current to 30A. Set the little Predator to NOT USE ECONO mode (sw in OFF) and it was fine. You could tell it was under load and burned fuel faster than normal, but it did its job.

Just checking back in here.... and I will re-iterate that I would suggest just buying the official cable for $20-25. 16g is probably not ideal for 1880 watts no matter what they tell you on the packaging.

Even if you are only charging at the lower levels, you're still risking things. Let's just pretend that someone else winds up with that thing for one reason or the other and they just plug that into a wall outlet and set it to charge at a higher rate because they assume that's the cable it came with and don't know any better....

Again - maybe I'm just way too cautious, but it seems like you're willing to risk a whole heck of a lot in order to save like $10 on a cable for your $3000-ish dollar device and home/RV/wherever you keep it at.
Ecoflow gave me a Cable thats only 15G

Back