diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18K shutting down because of false readings

BrendanK

So a little backstory:
Im building a 100% off-grid house in a remote area. When I started researching solar power options I, like many of you, stumbled upon Will Prowse's videos. I learned a lot and started putting together the system I wanted to build. I had originally planned to build the split phase 6500ex 48V system he outlined but when the 18K was released I took advantage of Signature Solar's rebate program for folks who had purchased the 6500's to upgrade to the 18K.
Installed it back in September with 12x Lifepower4 batteries and 20x 395W panels in two 10 panel strings on the roof. Had a master electrician look over my work and everything fired up and was working great. The monitoring app was easy to navigate and understand and I thought everything was ok.
Then last Thursday my system shut down unexpectedly and out of nowhere. Mind you, I live 5 hours away and still work a full time job so having to pick up and leave is a huge inconvenience. There were no notifications of any problems in the app, it just shut down, which subsequently cut the wifi (yeah yeah, I need a UPS of some kind, I know) so I could no longer even see if this was something much more serious.
When I finally got in front of the machine the next day everything was 'normal' aside from the unit being off. I powered back on and looked over the alarm history and it had dozens of 'battery voltage high' alarms dating back to October 22, a month after I installed the unit all culminating in a 'battery fault' that shut down the system. I checked every battery's voltage at the terminals. All were good, ranging between 52 and 53. With the unit powered on the screen read my batteries altogether were at 55.1 volts...also a completely nominal reading.
I hopped on the phone with Signature Solar and they started looking at my unit remotely and agreed, all of these readings were normal and within the parameters determined by the software. They also said their event history went back to the 9th of December so it had a week lag. I confirmed this in my app (which SIDEBAR: the fact that the app doesn't actually alert you of an alarm code going off is INSANE).
SS told me that this was likely a software bug and as I sat on the phone I watched the unit tick off multiple 'battery voltage high' alarms even tho everything was normal. They said they would forward it on to EG4 to look over, but since no one works weekends there has been no response.
I'm pretty disappointed with the overall experience at this point. I am no electrician, I'm no scientist. I appreciated how user-friendly these systems were to install. I have even been happy with how it has performed up until Thursday. But if, through no fault of my own, this system can just decide to shut down based on false readings what good is it. ( OH, and don't get me started with my EG4 6000ex experience...SHEESH)
Has anyone had any similar issues?

EDIT: tagging @EG4_Jarrett @Markus_EG4

Last edited:
55 volts is in the normal range but high for batteries that have been “resting” for a while. What’s your bulk voltage setting?

55 volts is in the normal range but high for batteries that have been “resting” for a while. What’s your bulk voltage setting?
pardon my naïveté but where do you check that on the unit? When I initially set up the system I was under the impression that it would set those parameters automatically based on the type of batteries connected to it

I know they are doing a lot of work on the remote monitoring system so soon it should give better feedback and more frequently. Maybe that will include active alarm warnings.
In the meantime if you could share your settings on the inverter and batteries with us maybe we can spot something that the tech did not.

I know they are doing a lot of work on the remote monitoring system so soon it should give better feedback and more frequently. Maybe that will include active alarm warnings.
In the meantime if you could share your settings on the inverter and batteries with us maybe we can spot something that the tech did not.
I'm heading back out to the site this morning and will get those settings. I'm assuming they're accessible on the touch screen?

Looks like the "Stop AC charge volt is 56V"
"Stop AC charge SOC is 100"
It says I am on firmware version fA1-0
Build version: fAAB-0C0D

Updated the 18K, still getting battery voltage high alarms if it hits 55V. Is there are way to change those settings to avoid this issue? Or will raising the bulk charge voltage cutoff harm my batteries?
I understand that using the power is a deterrent against having high voltage but sometimes I can't consume more than I'm taking in. In this instances can I change settings on the 18K to get away from this issue?

I'm running the latest firmware, I've had interesting low SOC/voltage issues, but I'd put a better than even money bet your problem is the LP4's firmware. I just put the latest firmware on mine, but on the other end I found the batteries were sending a low voltage signal, that was causing my inverter to shut down, when the batteries were low but far from depleted. Pretty sure it was only one, and it caused the inverter to cycle on/off as it recovered from the error. I think this needs to be addressed in the 18KPV firmware, with a flag or something. IMNSHO it's the responsibility of the BMS to shutdown the battery, and the inverter should not shut off unless the voltage actually goes below operating level.

I've seen mine at 57V for a time, so it has to be the BMS triggering a scram to the inverter. Likely only one of the batteries, and it's resetting. You can grab the logs off all the batteries with the EG4 tool from their web page.

Oh, the tool is a tad arcane and grabbing logs requires you to only have that battery connected to the tool. You can only upgrade the firmware if not under load. There was a major update around top balancing at one point.

Back