diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 shutting down with EG4 Chargeverter & blown Solar Assistant

How are they connected then ??? Chargeverter positive to battery 3 and negative to battery 1.
And inverter connected to batteries how ?
SA is connected directly to the battery back on battery 3.
Via what to reduce the voltage from 51.2v to 5v ?
I assume you did power cycle the Pi....disconnect the USB connections and just power the Pi on it's own.

Yesterday when turned on the chargeverter breaker the LV6548 immediately shut down. All batteries were on a s seemed fine. The same exact thing happened today as well. After turning off and then on the batteries, the inverter started up with no issue. Only problem now is that the Solar Assistant no longer works.

If I turn on my CV, it sagged my 30KWH rack for a brief moment, enough to dim the lights in the house when the inverter was running. I control mine with a relay on the AC side, and leave the breaker on. Either turn on the AC first or leave the DC side on. I seeded by turning on the AC, then the breaker, then left the breaker on. I toggle power at the AC side from a software switch. I rarely use it but it works well when I do.

Hi @medic149 It looks like one of our associates has just assigned your email to himself and will be getting back to you shortly! Not that this lot on here aren't absolute units helping already! I'll give him the link to this thread, maybe it will help speed up troubleshooting!

How are they connected then ??? Chargeverter positive to battery 3 and negative to battery 1.
Is this working well? I have a Chargeverter waiting to be connected. Was going increase the cable opening to 3/8" using my drill press to fit my bus bar but didn't want to do anything that might void the SS warranty.

Well here is Signature Solar response.

That may be the problem then. The batteries cannot charge and discharge at the same time and attempting to do so can cause something to short out.

I think the fact that the generator was not running when the breaker on the Chargrveter was turned on caused an issue. So, I will leave it on all the time since it doesn't drain the batteries much.

My assumption is that that the charging of the capacitors in the Chargrveter fried the Solar Assistant and shut down the LV6548 as a precaution.

While I like the concept of the Chargrveter, I think there needs to be more testing on different systems and set ups and better manual.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

I have my CV connected the the bus bar in my battery rack for 6 eg4
always start the generator before activating the breaker on the CV
never had a problem
of course you can have the CV charging the Batts at the same time you are operating the inverters on SBU mode
signature solar tech must not understand the issue or lost his mind

That makes no sense??? Are they saying you should shut off your system in order to charge?! And wouldn't the power being input from the CV go straight to the loads and any excess would then charge the batteries?
No, you don't have to shut the system down to charge; however, you DO have to use another source to power your loads while the batteries are charging. The CV is design to charge batteries, not power loads. Using the CV to try and power loads would leave you with some major efficiency lose going from AC (generator) to DC (CV) and back to AC again (output). Why would you do this?

I have my CV connected the the bus bar in my battery rack for 6 eg4
always start the generator before activating the breaker on the CV
never had a problem
of course you can have the CV charging the Batts at the same time you are operating the inverters on SBU mode
signature solar tech must not understand the issue or lost his mind
Yes, you can operate the inverter while charging the batteries; this is not what medic claimed the tech said. He claims the tech said "the batteries cannot charge and discharge at the same time" and this is true.

Duh

And how in the hell could you attempt to do so? lol
You wouldn't believe the number of people I have spoken to that believe batteries can be charged and discharged at the same; just look at this thread. There are people that believe the inverter produces the power for loads. You "attempt to do so" by doing it and it failing. Not sure how that could be misunderstood by anyone.

Also, the tech began with "That may be the problem then;" what is the context for that? What information was the tech given in order to give this response?

Mine powers my loads, when the batteries are low.
It's a power supply, it's perfectly fine doing it.
It's my only connection to the grid.
Your Chargeverter, THIS, is powering your loads? What loads are you powering off a Chargeverter? And, again, why would you bring in AC, convert it to DC with the Chargeverter, and then convert it back to AC with the inverter? If you have grid power, why is that not just connected to your inverter to power loads while the Chargeverter charges your batteries?

What am I missing? No other electronic device can charge and discharge its battery at the same time. Battery powered devices typically have a circuit allowing incoming power to bypass the battery and power the device directly, sending only a little to the battery to allow charging. This is a much different scenario as the batteries are external to the power delivery device.

I realized I came in a bit hot with my replies and, perhaps, even a little on the wordy side. My writing/typing tends to be more formal and straight to the point than speaking to me in person.

It's simple. Chargeverter charges / powers loads from utility to keep the batteries at minimal voltage until solar takes over... Least amount of grid used possible.
If there is a surge like a well pump the batteries will handle it.
Inverter keeps on outputting loads no worrying about switching to pass through...
Solar takes over chargeverter stops.
Makes perfect sense.

Your Chargeverter, THIS, is powering your loads?
Yes
What loads are you powering off a Chargeverter?
All of them.

For the "why?"
It makes everything simpler.
No transfer between grid/generator and inverter. (Always on inverter)
Any generator is fine. (CV can be adjusted to match)
Uses the minimum necessary grid power.
And keeps system isolated from grid. (No issues with autotransformer, or double bonding)

I think the fact that the generator was not running when the breaker on the Chargrveter was turned on caused an issue.
There it is. The Chargeverter was probably not powered up and its big capacitors were discharged. When it’s breaker was closed the current inrush put the battery’s bms into over current protect and next the inverter shut down from over current protection then low voltage shut down. That left the solar assistant’s 48/5v converter holding the last card with an unscheduled input discharge of its capacitors(hurt?). The SA converter sucks anyway, no great loss,get a converter from Amazon( fuse it!).
Another possibility for Solar Assistant issues is if you are using the micro USB to connect the SA to the inverters. Those cables are not isolated and can cause hardship in the SA Pi or the inverter logic when the inverter shuts down. Use the expensive cables from Watts24/7 (MPP to SA).
IMG_1197.jpegIMG_1198.jpeg

Back