diy solar

diy solar

Charge EG4 Powerpro with EG4 Chargeverter

sirm

Hi All,

All excited about the EG4 Powerpro and the EG4 Chargeverter to only find out from Signature Solar support that I need a separate bus bar in between the inverter, Powerpro and Chargeverter. This seemed to defeat the purpose of the chargeverter.

Has anybody else worked on this? I see this thread where a schema is shown doing this:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...l-with-eg4-chargeverter-in-a-emergency.71293/

But the person there says it's purely for a disaster, though SignatureSolarJames, says it looks good. So a little confused about how to do this, and wether it's supported / keeps warranty intact. I need it case of no sun up hear in the high north of Canada.

If it is possible, how would one go about it? change the lugs on the chargverert into degson connectors (not sure where to get those even)?

All excited about the EG4 Powerpro and the EG4 Chargeverter to only find out from Signature Solar support that I need a separate bus bar in between the inverter, Powerpro and Chargeverter. This seemed to defeat the purpose of the chargeverter.
How does this defeat the purpose of the chargeverter?

It's inconvenient mixing the degson connectors with other equipment, but that comes with the territory. Makes sense you would need another bus bar or other connection method.

How does this defeat the purpose of the chargeverter?

It's inconvenient mixing the degson connectors with other equipment, but that comes with the territory. Makes sense you would need another bus bar or other connection method.
Yeah that's fair, and as mentioned that's just what it seemed to me. I was hoping for a streamlined solution.

I did see these two other posts:

In one reply it says that Signature Solar sells the battery cables, appearing to indicate that we could just change the cable on the chargverter to those battery cables, but they are battery cables are 2/0 AWG and they don't seem even close to the same size as the chargverter cables.

Put these on the chargeverter and then plug it into the battery? Or is support saying they won't warranty the powerpro if you do that?

You would need to order 2 I think, to get 2 female connectors. But I don't know I don't have one of these connector systems.

Put these on the chargeverter and then plug it into the battery? Or is support saying they won't warranty the powerpro if you do that?

You would need to order 2 I think, to get 2 female connectors. But I don't know I don't have one of these connector systems.

This is what I was looking for! Thank you.

Also, support only said it's not recommended, not sure exactly why as it seems the bus bar is able to handle this.

Is there any concern that the wires on the chargeverter are not rated for the current that the batteries can put out? I was figuring I'd have to put a fuse in between the wires coming from the PowerPro and the wires coming from the chargeverter.

Is there any concern that the wires on the chargeverter are not rated for the current that the batteries can put out? I was figuring I'd have to put a fuse in between the wires coming from the PowerPro and the wires coming from the chargeverter.
There should be an OCP device to protect in the case of the chargeverter DC circuit shorting internally. As small as is practical for your loads. Anything in the 150-300 amp range.

It's a debatable decision whether you can trust the built in battery circuit breaker for this, or want to add a Class T fuse for ultimate protection.

The wire size doesn't really need to be considered for this, since this kind of fault current should be momentary and get cleared by the OCP.

There should be an OCP device to protect in the case of the chargeverter DC circuit shorting internally.
Doesn't the Chargeverter have a DC output breaker? White with a blue toggle in the upper right quadrant in the pictures I'm seeing online...

Yes this would be about a potential fault on the AC side.
My confusion, you and Mr. Hyde were talking about the battery cables and "case of the chargeverter DC circuit shorting internally". Whatever's feeding the AC side would have a breaker, no?

My confusion, you and Mr. Hyde were talking about the battery cables and "case of the chargeverter DC circuit shorting internally". Whatever's feeding the AC side would have a breaker, no?
Yes, but on an unbonded generator, the ground wire does not have a path back to the neutral, so a live wire could fault to the case of the chargeverter and it wouldn't trip the breaker.

Back