diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter tied to the EG4 Powerpro?

green cabin

Hello, I am wanting to connect a Harbor Freight PREDATOR3500 Watt SUPER QUIET Inverter Generator with CO SECURE Technology 120 volt generator (using propane) to a bank of two EG4 PowerPro wall mount batteries. This would only be used to charge the batteries in times of extended cloud cover. I would appreciate hearing from someone that has done something similar and how you accomplished it? I talked to Signature Solar but they didn't have an answer for me. I appreciate your help.

If you have a spare terminal on the battery, that makes it easy.
Or anywhere in the battery wiring.

Hello, I am wanting to connect a Harbor Freight PREDATOR3500 Watt SUPER QUIET Inverter Generator with CO SECURE Technology 120 volt generator (using propane) to a bank of two EG4 PowerPro wall mount batteries. This would only be used to charge the batteries in times of extended cloud cover. I would appreciate hearing from someone that has done something similar and how you accomplished it? I talked to Signature Solar but they didn't have an answer for me. I appreciate your help.
I'm thinking of doing the same and would appreciate if you got this done or have any other updates. Thank you.

This is my plan as well, since a single Chargeverter will only supply 50 amps to the battery with a 120V input, I imagine you can connect to any PowerPro wall-mount battery with free terminals.

This is what I am thinking, open to feedback. Goal was to NOT alter the Chargerverter directly. (i.e. cut the ends of the DC cables). Also wanted to make it relatively compact (so did not use a bus bar)

Chargeverter
5/16" Stainless steel hardware (Can get similar items at Home Depot)
- Hillman 5/16-in x 3/4-in Stainless Fine Thread Hex Bolt (x2) (One bag of 2)
- Hillman Stainless Steel Standard Flat Washer (5/16) (x4)
- Hillman 5/16-in Stainless Steel Split Lock Washer (X2) (one bag of 5)
- Hillman 5/16-in x 24 Stainless Steel Hex Nut (one bag of 3)
Heat Shrink Tubing (Dia 30mm (1-1/4”)) (Note: 7/8" was way too small, going to try this and will post update with pictures)
Harbor Freight JUPITER 3 ft., 2/0 AWG Inverter Cable Set
EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector (2x, one black, one orange)
- Hydraulic Crimping Tool - 12T Crimping Force, 9 Pairs of Dies (8AWG-4/0AWG)

Connect 5/16 ring connector from Chargerverter DC cables to Inverter cable set (make sure to slide on shrink wrap first)
bolt, washer, 3/8 ring, 5/16 ring, washer, split washer, bolt
Chargeverter conection.jpg

Slide shrink wrap over and shrink - Shrink wrap picture ETA 4/2

Remove ring connectors from other end of the inverter cables - picture ETA 4/2

Crimp on EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector to each cable - picture ETA 4/2
- NOTE, I have seen someone mention that you should start with 4/0 crimp them move to 2/0, will test this

Final product
- Chargerverter DC cables 5/16 ring connector to Harbor Freight cable 3/8 ring connector to Harbor Freight 2/0 end crimped with EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector

Connect EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector to each side of the battery to one of the used ports

This is what I am thinking, open to feedback. Goal was to NOT alter the Chargerverter directly. (i.e. cut the ends of the DC cables). Also wanted to make it relatively compact (so did not use a bus bar)

Chargeverter
Heat Shrink Tubing (Dia 30mm (1-1/4”)) (Note: 7/8" was way too small, going to try this and will post update with pictures)

Connect 5/16 ring connector from Chargerverter DC cables to Inverter cable set (make sure to slide on shrink wrap first)
View attachment 206196

- NOTE, I have seen someone mention that you should start with 4/0 crimp them move to 2/0, will test this

Final product
- Chargerverter DC cables 5/16 ring connector to Harbor Freight cable 3/8 ring connector to Harbor Freight 2/0 end crimped with EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector

Connect EG4 PowerPro Battery Cable Connector to each side of the battery to one of the used ports
Why not bolt the female side of the connector to the CV wires and use a set of battery parallel cables? No crimping required.
I’m told the CV2 comes with cables, so don’t even need bolting.

I asked pretty much the same question in the following linked thread and got a reply from the owner of EG4.... you would use the generator to power the Chargeverter.

I haven't seen any confirmation on whether the different cables are included or sold separately.
One of my sales contacts at SS replied:

It has the same Quick Disconnect fittings as the WallMount battery, and I thought I saw somewhere that it comes with battery cables, but now I’m no longer sure. Can you confirm if it comes with battery cables?
  • Yes, it comes with all necessary cables.

It has the same Quick Disconnect fittings as the WallMount battery, and I thought I saw somewhere that it comes with battery cables, but now I’m no longer sure. Can you confirm if it comes with battery cables?
Sadly, that's not a reliable source of information.
If you call a second time and get a different person, you'll get a different answer.
We won't really know for sure until people start receiving them.

If you'd like to DM me with your name and email address, I can ensure you have the cables you need.

Chargeverter

View attachment 206196

Final product

I have three EG4 Power Pro batteries and I always top balance my batteries prior to connecting. So I took a pair of battery cables from my PP batteries and added a 2/0 lug on the end without the Amphenol connector. I connected the Amphenol connector to a battery and then connected the 2/0 lug end to the Chargeverter just like Guido2006 did in his picture. Now this was a temporary connection while I was top balancing so I just wrapped electrical tape around the bolt and nut that connected the battery to the Chargeverter. Once all three were connected to my system I did setup a charging bus bar that I could quickly connect to any battery bank via Amphenol connectors for the cloudy day scenario you were trying to be ready for in your original post. My charging bus bar is in the conduit box on the top of my middle Power Pro Battery in the picture i have attached. With the new Chargeverter you may be able to use the new quick connect feature to accomplish this goal in a different manner

Attachments​

• System image for xmas card.png

System image for xmas card.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

I would recommend having the Wallmount batteries connected to an external bus and from the external bus having the chargeverter connected for the easiest installation method.

Back