diy solar

diy solar

Issues with EG4 Chargeverter Shipping (Current Connected)

Yeah I hear you, but not being made of money, I'll take the hit on the efficiency losses on an 11kW generator for 40% of the cost of the DC 6kW. That's a lot of extra cheddar for significantly less power, even accounting for the efficiency losses. Having said that, the efficiency would certainly make your fuel go further, eh? ;)
I hear ya. DC generation saves me about 30%, so that adds up quickly. I just like generators. Its my one fetish. Ask my wife...

It's pretty efficient because its direct DC current, so no loss through through inverting to AC. Propane (and any fossil fuel) is only going to get more expensive, so the total cost per kwh should be considered. I have $6K Honda gas generator that is way less efficient DC->AC->DC->battery. I also have an 1800 rpm diesel air-cooled prime DC generator, but I'm overhauling that now. Its extremely quiet and extremely efficient, but I like propane..
Any idea what it costs to operate? Gallons per kwh or $ per kwh?

I hear ya. DC generation saves me about 30%, so that adds up quickly. I just like generators. Its my one fetish. Ask my wife...
When that link was posted I checked out the spec sheet, and it said output voltage of 54 volts. If you have one will it only output 54 volts, and if it does and you do not mind me asking what do you use it for?

My understand re: the recent release of the new version is that it's about the same for the most part other than it has the ability to do closed-loop comms with the batteries, correct? It sure would be nice if there were the option to have comms connected to the inverter and to the chargeverter simultaneously.

My understand re: the recent release of the new version is that it's about the same for the most part other than it has the ability to do closed-loop comms with the batteries, correct? It sure would be nice if there were the option to have comms connected to the inverter and to the chargeverter simultaneously.

as a retired software engineer programming various hardware, I can see that would require a major subsystem refactor on the point to point communications channel.

the basic channel would work, but upper layers of the stack would need to be modified to support multiplex multi-masters. existing systems would get confused as well.
I don't see it coming in this rev of the software

but a great NEW feature idea for sure

as a retired software engineer programming various hardware, I can see that would require a major subsystem refactor on the point to point communications channel.

the basic channel would work, but upper layers of the stack would need to be modified to support multiplex multi-masters. existing systems would get confused as well.
I don't see it coming in this rev of the software

but a great NEW feature idea for sure
Typically the battery is the master and the inverters/chargers are listeners.

Typically the battery is the master and the inverters/chargers are listeners.
oh thanks

my bad, got it reversed. now it feels better.

I am not familiar with the CAN nor RS485 transport protocol in terms of multiple senders, collision detection and retries.
It might be possible to make a proper transaction state machine to allow for multiple queries, etc.
but being retired, I have gotten tired of software thinking .... lol

If it were Ethernet that would be great for good comms and multiple devices. oh well, time may provide.....lol

Back