diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18k vs Sol-Ark 15k as a ""backup system""

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
I keep going back and forth between using my existing Victron gear and swapping over to the EG4/Sol-Ark to power a transfer switch connected to our main panel. I don't care to go through the permitting process with NV Energy where I live, it's a pain and I won't be making any more power than I'll be consuming so it's rather pointless.

Transfer switch we're using - It'll power our mini splits, fridge, freezer, office, small server closet and wifi gear.

I know Victron well, I've been using it in large RV builds for many years. I currently have (2) Multi-Plus 3000/48v inverters, a 150/85 and a Cerbo all set up in a small trailer of mine with (3) SOK batteries. Works great, just doesn't see much use. So I'm considering moving that all into the house and utilizing it for some energy arbitrage and solar generation. I also have 4kw of panels collecting dust in the garage, so as a whole it's a complete system.

The question becomes whether I rewire all of that, which I hate the wiring mess inevitable in a multi part system no matter how hard you try vs an all in one.

The Victron, EG4 and Sol-Ark are all more than capable of handling the demands, the later two just feel easier. Not dealing with combiner boxes (which I have), nor multiple wire runs, nor bus bars etc etc etc. But, I don't know what I can do on the AC input side to keep everyone happy permitting wise, maybe I toss a NEMA 14-50 male plug on and plug it in to my welder plug so it's "not permanent"? I'm not sure of how I can program the EG4 in regards to things like, "only use grid power if the batteries drop below 15%, try to never use power between 3-9pm" etc.

Do I connect grid power to the generator input to ensure it never backfeeds? Simple things like this have me constantly going back and forth. The Victron can supplement from grid as needed, I don't know how EG4/Sol-Ark handle that.

With my cost between the EG4 and Sol-Ark being only ~$500, I'm torn between the two. On the one hand I'd love to contribute to the folks at Signature Solar, on the other the Sol-Ark seems to be a mature platform. I can obviously just sell the Victron gear and come out close enough that I'm not too concerned price wise. I just want to do it once and put it behind me.

I suppose I'm just brainstorming out loud, would love everyones input.

The AIO has the ability to zero export.

There is a difference between "permit", which is your local municipality to ensure safety, and "permission to operate" which is the utility saying your backfeed won't harm the grid. In theory, if you set it up to never backfeed, then you don't need PTO. You may still need a Permit for any electrical modification.

Consider off-grid inverters too. The grid can come in the generator line. They are designed to not be able to backfeed.

For permit, I'm guessing you will need: cutoff switch at the meter. Rapid shutdown. Set back for panel mounting on roof.

Sol-ark (and probably eg4) has internal isolation from grid when it goes down.

Last edited:
The AIO has the ability to zero export.

There is a difference between "permit", which is your local municipality to ensure safety, and "permission to operate" which is the utility saying your backfeed won't harm the grid. In theory, if you set it up to never backfeed, then you don't need PTO. You may still need a Permit for any electrical modification.

Consider off-grid inverters too. The grid can come in the generator line. They are designed to not be able to backfeed.

For permit, I'm guessing you will need: cutoff switch at the meter. Rapid shutdown. Set back for panel mounting on roof.

Sol-ark (and probably eg4) has internal isolation from grid when it goes down.

The Sol-Ark makes a great whole-house UPS if you install it with a battery under your utility's definition of "Backup Generator" and not "Distributed Generation." It wont back-feed to the utility and the transfer time is 5ms. PV can be added later.

Back