diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3k 48v inverter won't shut off

Beeralph

I have installed an EG4 3k 48v inverter in my van. I have 4 solar panels producing between 120-160 vdc. They are attached to 2 EG4 lifepower4 48v 100ah batteries. That's 10kw worth of storage. The inverter charges it up fine, but when they are fully charged and the sun goes down it keeps running the fans with no load attached. I have contacted signature solar about this and all they have told me so far is to move my circuit breakers to different DIN rails. While I appreciate that the AC, DC and solar breakers should be on different rails from each other, moving them had no effect on my operation. If I didn't know better I'd think signature Solar is just trying to wear me down. The inverter uses so much power while it's doing absolutely nothing that it takes 25% of my battery capacity overnight. I don't know if there is a software fix for this, but once again Signature Solar is not helping. For now I am turning off the battery connection CB at night. I plan on putting DC circuits in the van, but I would hate to have to install a switch to disconnect the inverter and reconnect so that I could use AC power for anything. Does anyone have a fix for this?

The first version of those inverters had a lot of complaints about the fans being loud, I'm guessing they added a feature in the V2 series that turns them on progressively as the unit gets hot. I have the V2 and its very quiet unless under a lot of load.

It does use a decent amount of load just sitting idle (~60w). There is a function (at least on the V2) where the inverter can shut off if no load is detected, and the idle consumption significantly drops (Settings 4).

Back