diy solar

diy solar

EG4 400ah 12V Server Rack Battery Victron Settings?

Ram5500 CamperThing

Hey All

I have (2) EG4 400ah server rack batteries on the way for my off the grid RV.

I am currently running a single 300ah LifeBlue battery that i will be giving to my bro in law.

My entire system is Victron, Multiplus3000, Cerbo, 150/70 controller, etc... With 750 watts of panels (2) wired in series.

I also run a 60amp Sterling DCDC charger to charge while driving.

System has been working perfectly for 1.5 years, but the wife loves all her cooking appliances (rice cooker, air fryer, etc..) so I am upgrading my powerbank.

Most of the Battleborn, Lifeblue, type batteries have listings for their settings they recommend for Victron components, but i cant find anything for EG4 and Signature Solar hasnt responded to any emails about it.

Anyone have any insight to this and what the best settings are for the Victron stuff?

If anyone cares about my mid life crisis RV project, here is my YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ram5500camperthing

Thank you!

Depending which you have:

"Specs and Manual" tab

IMHO, their recommendation for 14.1V float is out to lunch. Recommend 13.6V.

Depending which you have:

"Specs and Manual" tab

IMHO, their recommendation for 14.1V float is out to lunch. Recommend 13.6V.

Thanks.

Yes, thats exactly why i asked. I saw the specs, and thought that 14.1 float was bizarre

Ironically I have the same question for the same equipment, I called signature solar to ask them about the cutoff/reconnect settings for using a Victron Energy Battery Protect. on their EG4-LL/400 12V 5120 battery. I was told 12 volts cutoff and 13 volts reconnect, which is setting #8 on the VE Battery Protect 220. I didn't ask them (I forgot) about a,b,or c on the #8__ setting, so I just use #8c (LiFEPO4) and so far everything seems ok. What I don't know is which are the best charger voltage settings for a VE Multiplus 3000 (bulk, absorb, float) when using this 12 Volt EG4-LL/5120 battery? Anybody have that one figured?

I also don't know if I'm overcharging my standard Deka Lead acid start batteries on the 4amp circuit provided by the VE Multiplus when I have the bulk charging set to 14 VDC.. It seems the VE Multiplus 4 amp "trickle charger" circuit pushes some pretty high voltages on that start battery charger circuit.

In addition to this, I have the 150/60 mppt VE solar controller handling 600 watts of panels on the roof (not much, but it keeps things topped off and extends the boondocking time when I'm off grid). The coach also has a 7500 watt Onan genny and a 300 amp main engine alternator, so recharging is no problem. I just don't want to cook my Deka start batteries with voltages too high.

Should I consider installing a VE Argofet Battery Isolator to better separate these Deka batteries from the house batteries? They share a common ground at the moment and the positives are isolated, but when the main engine starts I get the impression that everything becomes one (possibly a fused battery bridge switch) because looking at the VE Connect app the battery and starter battery voltages are both 14.1 to 14.18 VDC. That seems TOO HIGH for normal flooded lead acid batteries.

Suggestions?

The EG4 has a built in BMS that will prevent over voltage, the settings in the battery will shut down at a certain level prior to damage of the cells. That being said, the specs for the batteries do list nominal values as the following:
Cell voltage protection 3.9V Delay 1s Recovery at 3.45V
Module voltage protection 15.2V Delay 1s Recovery at 14.4V
Over charging current 1 >220A Delay 10s
Over charging current 2 ≥250A Delay 3s
Temperature protection
<0°C
or >75°C
Delay 1s Recover when >5°C or <65°C

The EG4 has a built in BMS that will prevent over voltage, the settings in the battery will shut down at a certain level prior to damage of the cells. That being said, the specs for the batteries do list nominal values as the following:
Temperature protection
<0°C
or >75°C

Why a 14.1V float?

Above are the specs I saved off their website before they started redoing it and lost most of it.

These specs just don’t seem right to me but I am not an expert by any means.

Calling them honestly wasn’t all that helpful

Not sure what else to do at this point

It seems they recommend a charge voltage of 14.5.
A Bulk charge voltage of 14.25
An absorb voltage of 14.1
and a Float voltage of 14.1

Do I have this correct?

I'm not saying I agree with any of it, I'm just reading and interpreting this yellow and white chart this way. Do I have this correct?

Temperature protection
<0°C
or >75°C
It seems your recommend a charge voltage is14.5.
The Bulk charge voltage - 14.25
The absorb charge voltage - 14.1
and the Float voltage - 14.1

Do I have this correct?

It seems your recommend a charge voltage is14.5.
The Bulk charge voltage - 14.25
The absorb charge voltage - 14.1
and the Float voltage - 14.1

Do I have this correct?
The specs I posted are the recommended specs per the manufacturer, but I'll do research and see where these numbers came from. They are likely the specs used during the charge/discharge cycles to get the DOD, but haven't confirmed that. I'll see what I can find out.

The specs I posted are the recommended specs per the manufacturer, but I'll do research and see where these numbers came from. They are likely the specs used during the charge/discharge cycles to get the DOD, but haven't confirmed that. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks! This would help a lot

any udpates on this?

Back