diy solar

diy solar

EG4 48V setup without server rack

Ceefiveceefive

Greetings!
My EG4 48V 100Ah batteries have arrived!

I have 3 and will place them in parallel for 300Ah total.

I am using an MPP 6048 Split Phase Hybrid Inverter.

I did NOT order the server rack that goes with these as my budget could not afford it. I called Signature Solar today and discussed how I could use them now until I can get or build a proper storage rack.

I was told that I can set these up without a rack for now by having them all face upwards. No problem there.

My question is if I should use battery cable wires to connect them all in parallel as I do not have busbars. The manual says NOT to connect battery cables. The technician I communicated with said I could temporarily use battery cables with a fuse.

I am willing to use this temporary measure until I either purchase a server rack or obtain my own busbars. What type & size fuse should I use for battery cables? Are there any other protective things I can do in the meantime with using battery cables (which are 6 AWG)?

Is it difficult to make my own busbars with material from Home Depot?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110-164344_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110-164344_Drive.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 15
Bus bars aren't difficult to make, can literally take copper pipe and crush it in a vice and drill holes for mounting. In-between slide some shrink tube over them to minimize the change of being shorted against somthing. For fuseing I would go with what the manufacture suggests. Make sure all ground and power wires are the same length. So for each power wire have a ground the same length. Also shorter is better, less loss.

I wouldn’t crush copper pipe. You spent a bit of cash on those batteries, don’t cheap out now.

Copper bar stock is easy to get on Amazon and other places.

Google will find you a table to calculate ampacity based on width and thickness of the bar stock.

I had to “notch” the bar stock I used on my old style EG4 (GYLL) battery to get it to fit the smallish terminal.

My application was to connect a SmartShunt via bar stock.

Here is a picture of the notching I did:

Attachments

• 37921F4B-2492-4AE8-8247-37271D756946.jpeg
    37921F4B-2492-4AE8-8247-37271D756946.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 37
Back