diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX firmware CPU update stuck with "YES PG" [SOLVED]

norcom

I'm trying to update the firmware on the EG4 6000EX. I've successfully updated the remote display MCU firmware to 61.15. However when I try to upgrade the CPU firmware I get a message on the display "YES PG". I've tried to update with, without and from grid input with the same results. The COM port disconects and the system locks up until I do a full reset. While locked up disconnecting and reconnecting the display cable gets me fault 32. Trying the upgrade during fault 32 results in the "YES PG" message again. I've found a single post with a similar issue but no followup.

Has anyone experienced something similar and found a solution?

Thanks for the help!

I'm trying to update the firmware on the EG4 6000EX. I've successfully updated the remote display MCU firmware to 61.15. However when I try to upgrade the CPU firmware I get a message on the display "YES PG". I've tried to update with, without and from grid input with the same results. The COM port disconects and the system locks up until I do a full reset. While locked up disconnecting and reconnecting the display cable gets me fault 32. Trying the upgrade during fault 32 results in the "YES PG" message again. I've found a single post with a similar issue but no followup.

Has anyone experienced something similar and found a solution?

Thanks for the help!
On one of the updates I could not get it to work. SS remote accessed my computer and did the update. Might try that.

When I got the Error 32 on my 6500s, I had to redo the display firmware again then I was able to perform the MCU update after that.

When I got the Error 32 on my 6500s, I had to redo the display firmware again then I was able to perform the MCU update after that.
Thanks! I believe I found your other posts where you (or someone) mentioned exactly the same. I tried that but I get the same message right after I reflash the display f/w; "YES [PG]". I only get the error 32 if I physically unplug the display cable and reconnect it. The inverter starts up and works with the different display/cpu firmware versions.

I ordered a new serial to usb cable, new one will be using an FTDI chip. The adapter I'm using is quite old and funny enough the Prolific chip on it is a clone where the windows drivers actually says "THIS IS NOT PROLIFIC". But using older Prolific drivers before they implemented a check works. :LOL: Has worked for accessing and updating MANY different serial devices around the datacenter through the years. Doubt it will be the solution but figured I could use a newer adapter.

Interestingly I found that the same firmware update utilities being used for the InfiniSolar VII inverter which EG4 6000EX looks to be a clone of? The InfiniSolar has an option to update the firmware via a USB OTG via the micro USB port on the display. However holding the USB button (top left corner) doesn't pull up the same menu as the InfiniSolar supposedly does. I tried connecting the USB OTG with a flash drive and the hex file but still no menu. From serial cables to inverter clones, they're all cloned half ass. ? At half the price!

I've sent messages to Signature Solar and EG4. Oh, I also grabbed the older firmware that I could find for the 6000EX but the one I tried (can't recall the version) threw the same error.

Well, I was wrong. The serial to USB cable turned out to be the issue.

Received the new srial cable (SABRENT USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 [FTDI Chipset] (CB-FTDI)) and the firmware updated on the first try without a hitch. Rebooted and the MCU and CPU are both up to the latest.

The "YES [PG]" message stayed up through the whole update process. Perhaps it means "Yes, programing" ? Once the firmware updated it rebooted the inverter and came back online. Previously the COM port would timeout when the YES PG message would pop up. So it's not an error per say.

I do wish EG4 would implement USB f/w updates like the InfiniSolar or release the source so one could at least look at what happens when the messages pop up.

Glad to hear it’s working.

I always thought the message meant as you thought “Yes Upgrade” or something like that.

Back