diy solar

diy solar

EG4-6000EX output transformer - how much of a concern?

It seems that my risk is better understood if I knew how the EG4 6000EX-48HV is constructed. I may never know until I simply purchase the unit and make my own measurements. Naturally this is what I was trying to avoid.

What I think I learning if a purchase the EG4 6000EX-48HV low frequency inverter containing a transformer:
- Imbalance can be real.
- My neighbors power consumption "neutral imbalances" can have a negative effect on my invert's capacity. Of course, my imbalances will need to be in check.
- Protecting my inverter's capacity with an isolation transformer seems to be a solution I can understand. But wow! I wasn't anticipating this addition.
- Protecting the invert itself, depends upon the inverter's ability to sense its' own temperature and/or possible measure its neutral current for early detection shutdown. Maybe I will learn the EG4 6000EX-48HV has these protections.

Well guys (RCinFLA & Hedges) thanks for the discussion!

Whatever your loads are is probably OK, although I wish EG manual was explicit about allowed imbalance.
The farther it is from grid, the less your autotransformer will try to rebalance. Worst case outcome ought to be equipment shutting off, although I can't know EG protects itself.

6kW split-phase inverter for $1300? If only the inverter itself is at risk, not a high cost to gamble. Fire safety would be another matter.

Is it UL listed? I see no mention. "Off grid", "Grid Backfeed Rated for Non-US International use"

So I can't say for sure how appropriate it is to connect to our grid.
I don't know how appropriate it is
I look at it as another appliance on the grid, it just has fancy options to allow energy conversion and storage...
Will it work with just 120V input?
No
If so, that might keep your battery charged and avoid issues with auto-transformer. But that requires inverter to synchronize to grid to make missing phase. My SI do that, don't know for sure about this one.

It seems that my risk is better understood if I knew how the EG4 6000EX-48HV is constructed. I may never know until I simply purchase the unit and make my own measurements.
Look at the LVX6048 and TP6048, you'll likely find your answers. The biggest difference, from what I've understood here, is the EG4 is using firmware updates to deal with some bonding / relay function.

I've had my TP6048 up to 2.5kw on one leg, ~700w on the other with no issues, using a space heater and induction cooktop.
It's my understanding that 3kw per leg is the continuous output on these with a 10s surge twice that.
I know it handles my well pump surge (clamped at ~36a per leg with no issues) I also know idle consumption is terrible.
Thanks for the data point.
Look at the LVX6048 and TP6048, you'll likely find your answers. The biggest difference, from what I've understood here, is the EG4 is using firmware updates to deal with some bonding / relay function.
I'll have a look at both these units.

Yes, I agree on your assessment about the firmware and I'm following those discussions.

Much simpler to buy a quality LF inverter that is properly designed for split phase operation.

As previously mentioned, LF inverters that have AC input current load shaving capability likely have the necessary checks for grid neutral imbalance. It requires the same hardware additions, just a little added software math to check for grid neutral current imbalance.

On these inverters, too much grid imbalance is treated as just another grid quality check, like grid frequency and voltage tolerance. They will release their pass-through relay, disconnecting from grid when grid induced neutral imbalance current gets more than about 20% of inverter current capacity limit to avoid putting the inverter at risk.

Last edited:
My next one will be a Schneider XW Pro... This was to get my feet wet and resell later for a few hundred below purchase price with nothing really lost because of the energy saved...
If I were on a tight budget I wouldn't hesitate to buy another TP6048.

Much simpler to buy a quality LF inverter that is properly designed for split phase operation.

As previously mentioned, LF inverters that have AC input current load shaving capability likely have the necessary checks for grid neutral imbalance. It requires the same hardware additions, just a little added software math to check for grid neutral current imbalance.

On these inverters, too much grid imbalance is treated as just another grid quality check, like grid frequency and voltage tolerance. They will release their pass-through relay, disconnecting from grid when grid induced neutral imbalance current gets more than about 20% of inverter current capacity limit to avoid putting the inverter at risk.

Yes, thanks for opening my eyes to the imbalance issue.

So....back to researching

Back