diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000ex random power outage

rggsolardiyguy#2023

Hi I have 2 EG4 6000ex inverters connected together off grid only with no grid power. With 30 420 watt panels. Two String of panels. 16 panels in string 1 14 panels in string 2. Each String is at around 390volts 21amps. I have 12 300amph kilovault batteries 3 strings of 4 for a total of 900amph 48V 46K worth of storage. I got Inverter 1 wired PV in + - from pv string 1. Inverter 2 + - from pv string 2. with pv disconnects wired in between. For the batteries I have 2 bus bars one + one - with both + coming from each inverter and the - Bus bar wired with both - coming from each inverter with + &- coming from the batteries with DC disconnect breakers wired in between. For AC output Inverter 1 L1 L2 going to a Square D QO 60am breaker with N on the N busbar and grounds wired together. Inverter 2 is wired the same going to the other 60 amp breaker. Both Breakers back feed a 100 amp Square D QO indoor panel which feeds my main load panel. I have L1 L2 N legs wired back to my main loads panel from the main lugs on the ac combiner box. The problem I'm having is that when I run both inverters together I get a random power outage for 2-5 seconds then the power comes back on automatically with no fault codes or alarms going off. I then ran each inverter in solo mode and they worked fine with no issues. Thus I think its cant be a wiring problem because both inverters run fine when on there own. They only have the random power outage when I hook them back up to run together. I have done the firmware up date both inverters show Main cpu 06311 slave cpu 06108 firmware. Has anybody else had this problem? Are EG4's junk inverters should I return them back to Signature Solar ASAP? please help! I'm running out of options?

Hi I have 2 EG4 6000ex inverters connected together off grid only with no grid power. With 30 420 watt panels. Two String of panels. 16 panels in string 1 14 panels in string 2. Each String is at around 390volts 21amps. I have 12 300amph kilovault batteries 3 strings of 4 for a total of 900amph 48V 46K worth of storage. I got Inverter 1 wired PV in + - from pv string 1. Inverter 2 + - from pv string 2. with pv disconnects wired in between. For the batteries I have 2 bus bars one + one - with both + coming from each inverter and the - Bus bar wired with both - coming from each inverter with + &- coming from the batteries with DC disconnect breakers wired in between. For AC output Inverter 1 L1 L2 going to a Square D QO 60am breaker with N on the N busbar and grounds wired together. Inverter 2 is wired the same going to the other 60 amp breaker. Both Breakers back feed a 100 amp Square D QO indoor panel which feeds my main load panel. I have L1 L2 N legs wired back to my main loads panel from the main lugs on the ac combiner box. The problem I'm having is that when I run both inverters together I get a random power outage for 2-5 seconds then the power comes back on automatically with no fault codes or alarms going off. I then ran each inverter in solo mode and they worked fine with no issues. Thus I think its cant be a wiring problem because both inverters run fine when on there own. They only have the random power outage when I hook them back up to run together. I have done the firmware up date both inverters show Main cpu 06311 slave cpu 06108 firmware. Has anybody else had this problem? Are EG4's junk inverters should I return them back to Signature Solar ASAP? please help! I'm running out of options?
Can you PM me your email address? I'll get you to a technician as it seems there may be a firmware issue.

@rggsolardiyguy#2023 Take a look at this thread for a possible solution.

I have a single eg4-6000EX doing this (single inverter)
about 1 time a week the inverter shuts down for up to a couple of hours then comes back up.
I am wondering if we need to completely stop closed loop communication and go back to the old way that works. setting voltages..
Yes latest firmware on the EX.

I also have 2 EG4 6000Ex off grid. They run fine individually, but in parallel they seem to struggle to stay in sync as in 180 degrees out of phase. It's like they have no timing reference for the frequency. They hum. I have the latest updates. Occasionally they will change to 110v from 120v setting and also randomly have gone to 50 Hz as well. Occasionally they will beep a little but no alarm?

The weirdness only happens in parallel.

I have changed the can bus over to a single shielded cable (grounded only on one end) to get rid of that alarm.

Running on one unit now only, parallel makes me nervous.

Signature solar is not much help at all, and a bit cocky.

Also led lights still flicker in parallel but not in single mode. (after updates and option 34 enabled or disabled)

Last edited:
It also appears bad reviews at Signature Solar go MIA. (Where is mine from months ago?) These flakey ass units are not 5 star, especially in parallel.

Last edited:
I also have 2 EG4 6000Ex off grid. They run fine individually, but in parallel they seem to struggle to stay in sync as in 180 degrees out of phase. It's like they have no timing reference for the frequency. They hum. I have the latest updates. Occasionally they will change to 110v from 120v setting and also randomly have gone to 50 Hz as well. Occasionally they will beep a little but no alarm?

The weirdness only happens in parallel.

I have changed the can bus over to a single shielded cable (grounded only on one end) to get rid of that alarm.

Running on one unit now only, parallel makes me nervous.

Signature solar is not much help at all, and a bit cocky.

Also led lights still flicker in parallel but not in single mode. (after updates and option 34 enabled or disabled)
Mine was doing the same thing until the latest update, really the update before the current one. This solved my shut down problem for about two months, then it happened once again. So far , it has not shut down again. I don't plan on doing anymore updates unless new problems arise. Don't want to screw with success. Check the firmware and hopefully that will solve your problem

Mine was doing the same thing until the latest update, really the update before the current one. This solved my shut down problem for about two months, then it happened once again. So far , it has not shut down again. I don't plan on doing anymore updates unless new problems arise. Don't want to screw with success. Check the firmware and hopefully that will solve your problem
My two 6000EX's smoked after latest firmware update. I ran each in single mode fine after updates and then put them in parallel and it all went sideways. My PV breakers were arcing and would not open. (not proper breakers if there are any) I had to cut the 2 PV strings with nippers to avoid fire. I got warranty replacements from SS but no reason for what happened and poor communication, I suspect rivet pieces floating around in them?
I refuse to run them in parallel but am running one replacement now with a backup on standby, (one sucks enough idle juice). No updates, living with user mode on the batteries right now. Looking for other options.

Back