diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 “EG4” battery setting is wrong?

DdJjFf

I’ve noticed all the new user manuals for the EG4 batteries, even the new (soon to be released) EG4 solar charge controller have the charge rate at 56v. My EG4 6500 on battery setting “EG4” has the charge rate set at 58v. I can not change this setting with switching to “USE”.

Should I switch off EG4 to use recommended settings? Or let the inverters talk to the batteries?

I’ve noticed all the new user manuals for the EG4 batteries, even the new (soon to be released) EG4 solar charge controller have the charge rate at 56v. My EG4 6500 on battery setting “EG4” has the charge rate set at 58v. I can not change this setting with switching to “USE”.

Should I switch off EG4 to use recommended settings? Or let the inverters talk to the batteries?

Isn't that number fed by the battery? Can you change it on the battery?

Personally, I like the communication between battery and inverter, but if the EG4 charge values are not acceptable then change to USE.

Personally, I like the communication between battery and inverter, but if the EG4 charge values are not acceptable then change to USE.
Yes I understand that… my question is… is the EG4 inverter communication with EG4 battery wrong? (Between their own products?)

Or… is 58v acceptable?

Or… is the EG4 6500 specific battery settings irrelevant, when in communication with the battery “EG4” settings?

I noticed that if I charge my battery to the max of 58v, as soon as I stop the charging it shows 56v. Maybe its a 'feature' EG4 put in to compensate for the difference? Is your battery really sitting at 58v ?

Note when you have the Inverter set to EG4 the values on the display related to battery maintenance are meaningless. They are just placeholder visual values. They are not what is being used if comms are active. This is a software choice they made with current firmware. Probably not high on the "fix me list" priority.

If you have EG4 batteries with inverters set to USE, you need to have charging limited to 56.4V.

The thing about battery<->charger communication is the user is out of the loop and has very little clue what is actually happening.
Unless of course you an introspection tool.
Do you have anyway to log the status of charger and/or battery?

Yes I understand that… my question is… is the EG4 inverter communication with EG4 battery wrong? (Between their own products?)

Or… is 58v acceptable?

Yes.

3.65 * 16 = 58.4V = the absolute theoretical max if all cells are in perfect balance.

Or… is the EG4 6500 specific battery settings irrelevant, when in communication with the battery “EG4” settings?

Yes.

I noticed that if I charge my battery to the max of 58v, as soon as I stop the charging it shows 56v. Maybe its a 'feature' EG4 put in to compensate for the difference? Is your battery really sitting at 58v ?

That's normal behavior for all LFP, and it's not for compensation. LFP is analogous to lead acid that one has to charge to > resting voltage for a rapid absorption phase.

The thing about battery<->charger communication is the user is out of the loop and has very little clue what is actually happening.
Unless of course you an introspection tool.
Do you have anyway to log the status of charger and/or battery?
I do not… and it’s not even that important to me. Essentially, I spent a bunch of money, and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. When I saw a discrepancy, it worried me.

I do not… and it’s not even that important to me. Essentially, I spent a bunch of money, and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. When I saw a discrepancy, it worried me.
I thought there was a management app for the battery.
Presume there is one for the AIO as well.

here's your problem:

The BMS runs the inverter when closed loop happens, because the BMS dynamically adjusts amperage rate the voltage will go higher than a USE setting with fixed amperage)

here's your problem:

The BMS runs the inverter when closed loop happens, because the BMS dynamically adjusts amperage rate the voltage will go higher than a USE setting with fixed amperage)
Thank you… this all makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly, and when I saw conflicting numbers, I wanted to verify…

The BMS Sends that information 58v is what the lifepower4 is set to factory. We put 56v in the manual for people that dont have close loop communications.

Hey Guys, apologies if this has been stated somewhere, or perhaps there is no "one answer". I've been searching for days and trying to sift through all of these threads and the myriad of other EG4 issues...

I am 100% off-grid, 6500EX with (4) EG4 Lifepower4 48v Batteries (non-LL). I immediately got the communications error and I don't have a Windows laptop (or the stupid cable way down in Mexico) so I am in USE mode which seems to be working fine.

WHAT ARE THE CORRECT SETTINGS for Bulk/Float/low v cutoff? It seems like EVERYONE has a different opinion on these forums ranging from 54-58v for bulk and 52-56v for float.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS

Hey Guys, apologies if this has been stated somewhere, or perhaps there is no "one answer". I've been searching for days and trying to sift through all of these threads and the myriad of other EG4 issues...

I am 100% off-grid, 6500EX with (4) EG4 Lifepower4 48v Batteries (non-LL). I immediately got the communications error and I don't have a Windows laptop (or the stupid cable way down in Mexico) so I am in USE mode which seems to be working fine.

WHAT ARE THE CORRECT SETTINGS for Bulk/Float/low v cutoff? It seems like EVERYONE has a different opinion on these forums ranging from 54-58v for bulk and 52-56v for float.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS

3.45V/cell for absorption with 2 hour duration - alleged to improve cycle life due to lower voltage/lower current at top of charge.
3.55V/cell for absorption with 30 minute duration.
3.375V/cell for float.

There really isn't a "correct answer". As you've seen everyone has different values for their individual applications. Some go by what they read, some go by what they hear and others go by their own testing in their environment.

I'm constantly testing and changing my values, but currently bulk is set to 56.8v and float is 54.8v.

3.45V/cell for absorption with 2 hour duration - alleged to improve cycle life due to lower voltage/lower current at top of charge.
3.375V/cell for float.
Unfortunately the 6500s don't give you the ability to set the absorption time like the manual alludes to. I've asked SS about this a while ago and never got an answer.

3.375V/cell for float.
Thank you for the reply, does this equate to a certain bulk/float voltage for options 26, 27, & 29? or do I need to figure out how to configure custom charging timers? if so, are there instructions for that somewhere?

There really isn't a "correct answer". As you've seen everyone has different values for their individual applications. Some go by what they read, some go by what they hear and others go by their own testing in their environment.

I'm constantly testing and changing my values, but currently bulk is set to 56.8v and float is 54.8v.

Unfortunately the 6500s don't give you the ability to set the absorption time like the manual alludes to. I've asked SS about this a while ago and never got an answer.
10/4 THANK YOU THAT WAS WHAT I WAS WONDERING

Back