diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 EX-48 at high altitude or alternatives

MountainSteader

Hello everyone. I have pre-ordered two of these units...expecting to arrive in October.

Last night when I read through the spec sheet I saw something that I have not thought about...the "Operation Altitude"...
The spec sheet says 0 - 1500 meters. So 0 to about 4900+ feet elevation. That is where my "oh crap" thinking started late last night. We live at 8,700' elevation in the Rockies. We are used to generators have a loss in power.

I have been told I can void the warranty by using the inverter/chargers at my altitude...but it might also work well.

Have anyone any experience with these units at a high altitude? OR...are there any better alternatives for me that I should consider getting instead?
I already have received a 5-pack bundle with SOK batteries.

Sincerely,
A solar system beginner

See if the MFG will give you a de-rated value and tell you how to restrict the device to stay in the new rating. When a product is expected to be cooled a certain amount by the air, the thinner air just cools less. If you dial the unit down to make less heat, problem solved.

We do this commonly with electric motors, where a customer wants to run a 5hp motor in thinner air or in a hot environment. We either de-rated it, give it a less than 100% duty cycle, or sell them a 7.5hp or 10hp to do the 5hp work, so it doesn't break a sweat.

See if the MFG will give you a de-rated value and tell you how to restrict the device to stay in the new rating. When a product is expected to be cooled a certain amount by the air, the thinner air just cools less. If you dial the unit down to make less heat, problem solved.

We do this commonly with electric motors, where a customer wants to run a 5hp motor in thinner air or in a hot environment. We either de-rated it, give it a less than 100% duty cycle, or sell them a 7.5hp or 10hp to do the 5hp work, so it doesn't break a sweat.
Thank you for your feedback!

Did you get any values from the mfg on this? I was looking at the same inverter, but am located at 9,000 ft.

No, I am connecting two inverters together, and have 5 SOK batteries. Just using it as power for our place. I have a non-electrical pump I am planning to use from our spring box up to our place.

That is the exact same unit in a different outfit.

BTW - NOTE: The max PV open circuit voltage of two MPPT controllers will be upgraded from 250VDC to 390VDC from September, and the 250VDC version can't be parallel with the 390VD version.

@Quattrohead Thank you for your reminder. I have not received mine yet. Should be shipped out soon. I have been told they have the new specs when I receive them.

I ended up cancelling my pre-ordered EG4 and went with these instead: https://sungoldpower.com/collection...v-solar-charge-inverter-parallel-wifi-monitor

I encourage you to do your own research, but when I communicated with them the warranty is still valid as long as I use them below 3000 meters...
The only difference in the two units is the EG4 has 500VDC and is $100 less.

With both units, efficiency will be depleted and operate at roughly 75% efficiency. Some methods I've heard on trying to alleviate these issues, (and I got this from our Schneider rep) are to over size your wires and add a humidifier to the room that your inverters are located in.

The thin air does not allow for heat dissipation inside the inverter. I know of a few people that are operating at 7500+ ft with various types of systems. They all seem to lose efficiency at around the same rate.

I haven't seen any run a well pump very well at those altitudes other than (surprisingly) the 2.2k Growatt Well pump inverter. But that unit is dedicated to running well pumps only.

Some methods I've heard on trying to alleviate these issues, (and I got this from our Schneider rep) are to over size your wires and add a humidifier to the room that your inverters are located in.

The thin air does not allow for heat dissipation inside the inverter. I know of a few people that are operating at 7500+ ft with various types of systems. They all seem to lose efficiency at around the same rate.
You just need to shift more air around and through them as it is thinner, hence less cooling ability.
The humidity has nothing to do with anything except human comfort !!!
When did you ever hear an electronic device say it was sweating like a lady of the night in confession ????

The only difference in the two units is the EG4 has 500VDC and is $100 less.

With both units, efficiency will be depleted and operate at roughly 75% efficiency. Some methods I've heard on trying to alleviate these issues, (and I got this from our Schneider rep) are to over size your wires and add a humidifier to the room that your inverters are located in.

I haven't seen any run a well pump very well at those altitudes other than (surprisingly) the 2.2k Growatt Well pump inverter. But that unit is dedicated to running well pumps only.
Thank you for the added info. I wanted to go with the EG4s, but when I asked about use of them at my altitude I was notified by SS that I would void the warranty.
I paid about the same price for the Sungoldpower ones...and they would not void the warranty below 3000 meters.

I notice the altitude on my generators as well.

Thank you again for your info.

Thank you for the added info. I wanted to go with the EG4s, but when I asked about use of them at my altitude I was notified by SS that I would void the warranty.
I paid about the same price for the Sungoldpower ones...and they would not void the warranty below 3000 meters.

I notice the altitude on my generators as well.

Thank you again for your info.

I would have done the same in your position

You just need to shift more air around and through them as it is thinner, hence less cooling ability.
The humidity has nothing to do with anything except human comfort !!!
When did you ever hear an electronic device say it was sweating like a lady of the night in confession ????
Water vapor is a much more efficient conductor than air. Especially thin air. Your fans will work harder and there will be hotspots in your inverter because the air will not move inside the unit at those altitudes. Which is why even Schneider and Victron do not support the use of their products over 2000M. Not saying things won't work and there aren't ways around it, but those methods require 3rd party equipment. Obviously you don't want the air so damp that things start condensating. 30-40% relative humidity is ideal for electronics.

That is because they will duck all warranty claims LOL.
What is your basis for this statement?

Please let's keep the content to something we can all learn from and get advice from without blaming and accusing. I am just a beginner when it comes to solar systems, and all I want to do is to figure out what is best for my situation.
I appreciate all the information everyone has shared, and at this point I feel I have made the correct "Plan B".

Back