diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 has power output interruptions when on grid charging bypass mode.

Mielectric1

I have a customer who is experiencing this issue
The inverter is set to turn back to grid at SOC 20% and then kick off grid at 50%
The AUX output is used to control a 60amp power contactor, so even though the grid is on, the inverter does not have any voltage on the terminals in the inverter.

When the inverter calls for grid, the aux relay closes, which then closes the power contactor, connecting the AC input to the grid AC.

WHY might I do this you may ask, well the inverter was backfeeding tiny amounts of power to the grid, the utility company documented this. The customer does not want a PPA, and I doubt the utility would approve of the eg4 6500 anyways.

So what is the problem:
During the charging somewhere around 40% +/- the inverter will turn off output randomly 3 or 4 times somethings in quick succession, sometimes minutes apart, it is very bothersome for the homeowner, everything shuts off, clocks reset, you know the drill. After that it will continue to charge to 50% and then kick off the grid.

I have no answer for them since the inverter should not be doing this, but I need to find a way to stop it.

Any ideas on cause and solution???

I like the use case of the contactor. Is it fast enough to switch between battery and grid if power is lost (like a UPS) though?

Have you noticed the little "shutdowns" happen when PV is active or is it regardless of day or night?

What firmware version are they running?

Back