diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 Inverter Firmware & EG4 battery firmware

EPicTony

Solar Enthusiast
Is the EG4 6500 inverter firmware upgradeable ? If so where can I get the firmware and what is the procedure to upgrade ?
Same question again for the EG4 battery.
Thanks for any help !

EG4electronics.com will have all of the most recent firmware updates available
Ok that's good but are the EG4 devices firmware upgradeable ? Lets say firmware improvements become available in the future (improvement or bug fix)). Will the firmware be published ? Thank you

Yes, there is updated firmware on the website with links on how to install
Easier said than done....lol

I've recently purchased an EG4 6.5 inverter and EG4 LP4 battery.....I went to their website and followed their directions and the inverter won't connect to my laptop via their download???

Their video indicates using two cables supplied but the cables I received were different. I received:
- male serial to female serial (gray)
- female serial to an RJ45 connector (gray)
- RJ45 connector to a 2 wire USB (yellow)

I assumed the method of connecting the two gray cables like shown in the video was replaced by the yellow cable I received????

If so, they won't connect.....any help would be appreciated???

Looking at the manual for the 6500 I see on page 5 an RJ45 port named 18. The RS232 8 pin RJ45 plug goes there and the other end has to go to the computer. It looks like the cable has a DB9 plug so you need an USB to DB9 adapter of the proper Gender. It's kinda crazy nowdays to have an old DB9 pin hook up for the computer end. But in my area of work many items use this as standard for updates on even high end communications gear.
They should switch that out so you load up an SD card with the update then plug that SD card into the 6500 or Batt front panel. That would take a bit of re-engineering and increase the price of the unit.
NewEgg (a retail outlet on line) has lots of these RS232 9 pin plug to USB converter/adapters for sale.

Easier said than done....lol

I've recently purchased an EG4 6.5 inverter and EG4 LP4 battery.....I went to their website and followed their directions and the inverter won't connect to my laptop via their download???

Their video indicates using two cables supplied but the cables I received were different. I received:
- male serial to female serial (gray)
- female serial to an RJ45 connector (gray)
- RJ45 connector to a 2 wire USB (yellow)

I assumed the method of connecting the two gray cables like shown in the video was replaced by the yellow cable I received????

If so, they won't connect.....any help would be appreciated???
I have the same hardware as you. Let me know your solution, my inverters are 1 month out from operation. Thanks !

Yes, there is updated firmware on the website with links on how to install
Hello Ben,
I encountered two challenges with EG4 software/firmware. Appreciate your help.

#1 - Attempted to install the SolarPower application (from CD that came with EG4 6000EX-48HV inverter) onto my Windows 11 laptop but the install failed. First it failed with error "invalid GUI". I followed instructions to run it from command line with -i, and it got passed the GUI error, and seemed to finish, but the app is nowhere to be found. There is no way to invoice the app.

#2 - I downloaded "New-6k-Firmware.zip" from the EG4 downloads webpage, but when attempting to run "InfiniVMasterCPU_Reflash .exe" my Norton Antivirus software states that the software is "unsafe and has been removed". The same happens with "RemotePanel_ReflashTool.exe"

Where can I get a working copy of SolarPower and sanitized firmware for my 6000EX-48HV?

Thank you

Norton AntiVirus is the devil. You'll either need to create an exclusion folder with special rules in Norton or Uninstall it.

In the years I spent in IT, Norton gets shit canned immediately when I see it.

Hello Ben,
I encountered two challenges with EG4 software/firmware. Appreciate your help.

#1 - Attempted to install the SolarPower application (from CD that came with EG4 6000EX-48HV inverter) onto my Windows 11 laptop but the install failed. First it failed with error "invalid GUI". I followed instructions to run it from command line with -i, and it got passed the GUI error, and seemed to finish, but the app is nowhere to be found. There is no way to invoice the app.

#2 - I downloaded "New-6k-Firmware.zip" from the EG4 downloads webpage, but when attempting to run "InfiniVMasterCPU_Reflash .exe" my Norton Antivirus software states that the software is "unsafe and has been removed". The same happens with "RemotePanel_ReflashTool.exe"

Where can I get a working copy of SolarPower and sanitized firmware for my 6000EX-48HV?

Thank you
Would you DM me your info, I'll get someone in touch with you to get you fixed up.

In the meantime, I'm resurrecting a Windows 10 laptop to try
Hey @SunFarmer did you get this resolved?
Still having trouble getting my hardware to talk *at all* to any of Sig Solars software. No via wifi or RJ45toUSB .

What did you end up doing? I am sick of messing with it trying to get something to work.

Hello galstaf,

Yes, I got the Solar Power app working, but it's pretty disappointing software.

First I resurrected a Win10 laptop that has an actual CD drive (versus sharing CD drive via network). Then also bought a new USB-RS232 dongle with up-to- drivers. Once installed, I switched over to micro-USB.

I may have had to unzip the files, can't remember for sure.

And, I re-adressed my batteries, now unit zero is at the bottom and unit three is at the top, with the BMS cable connected to the top battery, and swapped the ends of the cable.

Jeez, you are making me relive that crap.

I just ordered Solar Assistant from Watts247. Looking forward to tracking data

Jeez, you are making me relive that crap.
Right?
It is so annoying that SS knows this shit doesn't work out of the box and let us all spend 1000s of collective manhours fighting with it instead of just making a definitive solution (even if that is just saying "Our shit doesn't work. Buy this and this and this and do this and it will be great).

And, I re-adressed my batteries, now unit zero is at the bottom and unit three is at the top, with the BMS cable connected to the top battery, and swapped the ends of the cable.
Why did you do this? Who's idea was it? SS is pretty specific about making battery 0000 the primary.

Do you mind sharing a link to the product you used to connected.. i.e. what did you buy to connect? I am not getting anywhere with the cabling that came with it.
Possibly post a pic of your setup? I am hoping I am just doing something small that would be obvious with a picture of a working setup.

Regarding battery addressing, it was my idea. I was an initial charge on my four batteries one at a time. Started at the top, set address to 000, charged it with solar, turned it off and moved down to the next battery, etc. When done with charging batteries individually, I end up with the bottom battery with address set to 000, and just left it, and set the next up to 001, and the next 002, and the top battery to 003. The addressing seems to be independent of the physical BMS jumper cables. When I turned all four batteries back on, I wasn't getting faultcode 61 anymore, so I left as is. It's working!

Here is Amazon description for the dongle

SABRENT USB 2.0 to Serial (9 Pin) DB 9 RS 232 Converter Cable, Prolific Chipset, HEXNUTS, [Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/VISTA/XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and Above] 2.5 Feet (CB-DB9P) https://a.co/d/7SG1zE9

Mr. galstaf,

Regarding monitoring app and firmware for EG4 6000EX....

Here is response I received from Signature Solar while I was trying to get it to work. Hope it helps you a bit. In my case, I think I made the most progress after switching from a Win11 laptop to Win10 and getting a new USB-RS232 dongle with fresh drivers.

Good luck

---------------------------------------------------
1674166908095.png

Mr. galstaf,

Regarding monitoring app and firmware for EG4 6000EX....

Here is response I received from Signature Solar while I was trying to get it to work. Hope it helps you a bit. In my case, I think I made the most progress after switching from a Win11 laptop to Win10 and getting a new USB-RS232 dongle with fresh drivers.

Good luck

---------------------------------------------------
View attachment 130526

This is what is frustrating. SS know there are issues, but instead of giving workarounds to the issues up front, they just let everyone waste their time and bash their head against the wall trying to get this shit working. There should be a "STOP - READ THIS FIRST!" notice with everything they sell. It makes it seem like they just don't care that they waste our time and infuriate us. I feel like they do want a viable business and honest up front workarounds would go a long way!
SS should also be using signed software that doesn't trigger virus applications. Again.. no excuse if you are going to have your own badged product.

They have the potential to be a great and respectable vendor, but it is janky crap like this that makes people on this forum say "Should have bought a Victron".
I saved a bunch of money on the hardware, but the hours and hours wasted on trying to get this software working is making it a wash. :-/

Back