diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 Inverter shutdown with F80 fault during testing

Tom Funchess

I have been doing some extensive testing on my system for the last few days, trying to come up with a reliable means to set up the system as a "whole house battery backup" with batteries maintained in a high State of Charge when there is bad weather forecast during times when I am away from home. This was my main goal of setting up this system, the secondary goal was to save money on my electrical bills.

I had originally intended to just switch the inverters to SUB mode when I saw bad weather approaching (remotely using Solar Assistant), and then switching back to SBU after the weather passes. That does not work, and I and others have written some about it in other posts.

As a workaround, I put together a plan to test the ability to set the inverters to switch between SBU and SUB mode in three different scenarios using the "Maintain battery state of charge" programming in Solar Assistant (that just makes the manual process when you do it on the inverters themselves A LOT easier).

• Scenario 1 would be set such that the inverters would switch from SBU to SUB mode when the SOC of the batteries dropped below 80%, and the inverters would switch back to SBU mode when the SOC reached 85%. This would be my "High SOC Settings for Battery Maintenance."
  • Scenario 2 would be a "Low SOC Settings for Battery Maintenance" (for good weather and maximizing solar production).
  • Scenario 3 would fall somewhere in between (to account for short days or days with low PV input due to weather, absent the risk of weather-related power outage).

I tested Scenario 1 a couple of days ago and it seemed to have been a success. However, I did notice that every now and then, while I was sitting with the inverters doing my testing, I would get an Error 61 that would quicky clear after 2-3 beeps.

Last night I tested Scenario 3 as I worked my way down in terms of the SOC of my batteries. My plan was to test Scenario 2 tonight, after I pulled the batteries down to 30% or so. All went well overnight and even during the first couple of hours of sunlight as the sun came up. It did exactly what I expected it to do.

That is, until around 9:00 AM this morning. I found that the 2P1 inverter had shut down at 8:50 AM and was showing an F80 CAN fault while, the 2P2 inverter continued to charge the batteries beyond the target I had set, and all the way back toward 100%. When I found the inverter shut down, the SOC was already at 92%, way above what I had set in the program.

As I was gathering up the data from what had happened, I was a little shocked when the 2P2 inverter slowed charging when the SOC hit 96%!!! I've heard an explanation for that, and it is a whole different issue, but it is related to how the inverter will continue to charge to a previously set SOC if the program is shut down before it reaches that value.

This is now the second time that my 2P1 inverter has shut down with an F80 fault in the last few days. When it occurs, everything else seems to be working as expected, and then out of the blue, the inverter shuts down abruptly. I observed it in person a couple of days ago. At this point, I have been unable to relate the shutdown to anything unusual happening with the loads, PV input, or AC Input.

The only question that I can think of is whether the F80 shut down could in any way be related to the infrequent Error 61 that I have seen as I spend more time face-to-face with the inverters? The Error 61 problem that I was having early on is still happening after all the firmware updates, but it is happening much less frequently.

Can anyone explain, in plain English, in layman's terms, what exactly an F80 CAN fault is, and what are some possible causes for it?

Has anyone experienced it with any of the LV6548 variants and then found a cause and solution?

My Setup: I have dual EG4 6500s running in split phase 240V, one is an older unit (May 2022) and the other is a newer unit (late November 2022), both updated to 79.61 firmware, with 6 EG4 LifePower4 batteries set up with BMS communication to 2P1 (EG4 battery type selected on 2P1, USE on 2P2).

I have had similar issue plague the eg4 6500 pair that I’m running as well. Trying to do the exact same thing as you with solar assistant. The can bus errors I have relate to charging amperage of the inverters. Here is what I’ve discovered. It is directly related to the ground bond configuration of your inverters. There are lots of things I have tried but all these are now irrelevant. The can faults are caused by RFI. So basically update your inverters to the stationary / cabin firmware. Remove both grounding screws inside the inverter and make sure your grounds are only connected on either the input or output of the inverters not both. Do a search for filter guys wiring diagram version 2 for the eg4 and your situation. The ground loops and neutral ground bonding causing loops is your main concern. Previous to the latest firmware I found a way around this but it is not up to code or safe so I will not share. The latest firmware and wiring diags will solve your issues or at least make them manageable. FYI if you are on site and prior to the cab faults you may hear a high pitch whining noise right before the fault. If you are hearing this make sure you have the input and output breakers off for any further testing, if you are using grid input to charge with pv and hear this noise immediately disconnect grid input. When your hearing this noise the inverters are outputing extremely high voltages on either the ac out put or back feeding the grid with very high voltages even though they are not capable of grid feed. I’ve replicated this issue twice and both time resulted in killed utility meters and damaged equipment on the output side of the inverters. So very dangerous stuff is most likely happening when your not there and they are tripping out while running higher amperage charging especially if your using grid and pv at the same time. These issues are only while in parallel if ran individually they will do 100amps all day long. From what I’ve seen originally they would have the issue if the combined amps was over 100 to the battery. So if one was 60 and the other 40 then it’s fine but if one was 70 and other 40 bam nasty noises and fault on the higher amp inverter. Since the firmware updates as well as wiring changes and screw removals I’ve successfully ran at 170amps combined charging amps for over 4 hours without a single issue. Hope this helps

Thanks. I had a feeling it was related to RFI or EMI but I don't have a way to confirm it. I even bought premium, double-shielded serial communication cables thinking that might help, to no effect.

I've had AC Input connected from the start, and I originally had it set up to charge at max rate. I think what you decribed fried my original 2P2 inverter.

I've since backed off to 30A max Utility charging rate and have been running for a couple of weeks now without issue in USE/SBU modes.

I'm also getting an occasional Error 61, even after all the firmware updates. Do you think this could also affect Error 61?

Thanks. I had a feeling it was related to RFI or EMI but I don't have a way to confirm it. I even bought premium, double-shielded serial communication cables thinking that might help, to no effect.

I've had AC Input connected from the start, and I originally had it set up to charge at max rate. I think what you decribed fried my original 2P2 inverter.

I've since backed off to 30A max Utility charging rate and have been running for a couple of weeks now without issue in USE/SBU modes.

I'm also getting an occasional Error 61, even after all the firmware updates. Do you think this could also affect Error 61?
More thank likely, I had some issues with the comms that would go away if the pv was disconnected I found out. I also discovered a significant amount of the rfi is from the mppt. I have a pv disconnect very close to the inverters then a run of approx 100ft out to the pv array. If the disconnect switch is on so the mppt is connected to the panels the rfi is enough to block out am radio signals, and mess with my weather station around 150ft away. This is anytime the mppt is connected to the pv array day or night. If I shut off the disconnect all rfi goes away except for just a few feet around the inverters. So that’s another issue I found. Was going to be installing some torroids (sp?) around the pv outputs to reduce this but I’ve since given up on fighting these eg4 inverters and purchased a sol-ark 15k. Had one of my eg4’s fail for the second time leaving me in the dark. This time was error F12 dc-dc overcurrent last time a few mo the ago had one fail high bus voltage error f8 or something like that. Either way these things have too many unresolved issues and the tech support is not knowledgeable enough to fix them. Plus they are economy units so some of that is probably just because of low quality cheap components. Hopefully I’ll get them warrantied and use them in a different project down the road or sell them to someone at a discount for off grid only use or for stand alone 120v service like an rv or something I think they would work fine for that. But at this point they are not trust worthy enough to risk ruining things they are powering such as appliances and the various things they have wrecked havok on in my situation. (Raspberry pi, fridge, drill battery charger, 2 ultility meters)

Back