diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 Power Output Problem

Mine do not do that.
I have no grid connection.
1 inverter n/g bond in place, 2nd unit n/g removed.
MDP has isolated neutrals
Gen has n/g bond

Mine do not do that.
I have no grid connection.
1 inverter n/g bond in place, 2nd unit n/g removed.
MDP has isolated neutrals
Gen has n/g bond
I think I heard someone mention that removal of that bond as being very important.

For my set up this configuration is correct.
Inverter 1 provides n/g bond while in "inverter mode" and the Gen provides its own N/g bond when in "gen" mode.

Excellent info. I get back to you. Thanks
"Gen mode". Do you have your generator connected to the AC input? If so what size wire are you using?. I would like to do that as well once I figure out the issues.

Yes. The wire, breaker , disco, etc...will be sized based upon your generators output. Mine only provides 25 amps @240vac, so I have #10 wire and 30 amp breakers.

Yes. The wire, breaker , disco, etc...will be sized based upon your generators output. Mine only provides 25 amps @240vac, so I have #10 wire and 30 amp breakers.
Very good to know thank you. One hot to each inverter and split the neutral I suppose. I have the same setup as you describe but on solar my voltage fluctuates wildly and I'm running out of things to try.

Very good to know thank you. One hot to each inverter and split the neutral I suppose. I have the same setup as you describe but on solar my voltage fluctuates wildly and I'm running out of things to try.
What is Signature Solar saying?

Well, I give up. I can run either inverter on either string of PV one at a time and the AC is steady at 120v. When I connect one inverter to PV, one runs off the battery correctly and one off of the connected PV, voltage is steady on both. I just can't run both inverters on PV at the same time without the outputs on both inverters fluctuating by 40 v or so up or down. Works fine on just batteries. Also strange is when testing PV wiring there are 34 volts coming OUT of the PV Input ports on each inverter, even when I completely disconnect the solar to both inverters I still read 34 volts at the inverter PV inputs. I can connect up the PV wires inside the house and go out where they connect to the panels and read 34v heading toward the panels. When I shut off the inverters that drops to 10v coming out of each inverter on the pv input lines.
No AC input and all breakers are off.
This is a good one.
Also, if I connect a 1500 watt 120v load, a heater running on solar the output is steady 120v.

Last edited:
Well, I give up. I can run either inverter on either string of PV one at a time and the AC is steady at 120v. When I connect one inverter to PV, one runs off the battery correctly and one off of the connected PV, voltage is steady on both. I just can't run both inverters on PV at the same time without the outputs on both inverters fluctuating by 40 v or so up or down. Works fine on just batteries. Also strange is when testing PV wiring there are 34 volts coming OUT of the PV Input ports on each inverter, even when I completely disconnect the solar to both inverters I still read 34 volts at the inverter PV inputs. I can connect up the PV wires inside the house and go out where they connect to the panels and read 34v heading toward the panels. When I shut off the inverters that drops to 10v coming out of each inverter on the pv input lines.
No AC input and all breakers are off.
This is a good one.
Also, if I connect a 1500 watt 120v load, a heater running on solar the output is steady 120v.
It's been over two months, what happened?

I just got my system running November 9th. I also have fluctuation issues. I've left the grounding screws in both inverters for now, concerned about warranty and Richard said it was tested that way. Have emails in to Aaron at SigSolar. @TheBestDIYGuy help.

set to 120, 2p1, 2p2 split phase 180,

When running with utility on the AC output on both inverters fluctuate between 119-121v.
When running on PV/Battery the AC output on the inverters fluctuates, a lot.

Inverter 1 is typically 110-112v when there is any load, if the load is just to run the inverter it is 119-121v.
Inverter 2 is typically 119-121v, but when the sun is going down and the PV is turning on and off the AC output jumps wildly from 114-123-119-121-112-120-114v etc. Attached here is that data, I also have video of the inverter screens:

AC Output 3.jpg

Here is a screen of the data throughout the day showing the AC output fluctuations:

AC Output 2.jpg

this is with grid on at about 1120, saved a day before the above graphs.

AC Output with grid.jpg

Last edited:
It's been over two months, what happened?

I just got my system running November 9th. I also have fluctuation issues. I've left the grounding screws in both inverters for now, concerned about warranty and Richard said it was tested that way. Have emails in to Aaron at SigSolar. @TheBestDIYGuy help.

set to 120, 2p1, 2p2 split phase 180,

When running with utility on the AC output on both inverters fluctuate between 119-121v.
When running on PV/Battery the AC output on the inverters fluctuates, a lot.

Inverter 1 is typically 110-112v when there is any load, if the load is just to run the inverter it is 119-121v.
Inverter 2 is typically 119-121v, but when the sun is going down and the PV is turning on and off the AC output jumps wildly from 114-123-119-121-112-120-114v etc. Attached here is that data, I also have video of the inverter screens:

View attachment 120118

Here is a screen of the data throughout the day showing the AC output fluctuations:

View attachment 120119

this is with grid on at about 1120, saved a day before the above graphs.

View attachment 120120

@BenFromSignatureSolar

I want to chime in and say that I’m experiencing the same issue. I have no AC input to the inverters, 2P1, 2P2@180, and have not removed any NG screws in the inverters, NG are bonded in the load panel. 6 EG4 batteries, 4 strings of PV Inputs with voltage input in the 300v+ range. The load is one fridge, one freezer, some fluorescent lights and a garage door opener (read a garage). The lights are flickering and 2P2 inverter is showing fluctuating voltage from 109-133 ish. Most everything is currently running from the 2P2 inverter. Voltage output has problems with and without PV connected. Did anyone ever find an fix for this? I don’t want the fluctuating voltage to damage my appliances.

I'm kind of alarmed at all the problems with these newer inverter products. I've even seen issues with Sol-Ark. Does any manufacturer get it right yet?

Further information:
Unfortunately, i don't think i can leave the inverters on right now. I have connected a small load panel (100A panel but only two 15A circuits) to the two inverters. I have them configured as 2P1 and 2P2 (@180) and the only thing they are running is a stand up freezer, Fridge, fluorescent lights, and a garage door opener/light. Even though it is showing at less than 5% output load the voltage on inverter 2 is fluctuating wildly from 108-133ish volts and the lights are flickering. This happens if i am running just on batteries or with PV connections. I ran a portable air compressor on one of the circuits as well and it seemed to run just fine. After about 10-15 minutes of the voltage fluctuating, both inverters shut down at the same time TWICE, about 10 minutes apart. I'm not willing to risk damage to my appliances or the inverters/batteries, so i'm leaving them off for now. I'm sure i just have a setting wrong somewhere but i can't figure out what it might be. I tried to call Signature Solar today and waited on hold for about 90 minutes before giving up and pressing zero for a call back, but instead of taking a message or confirming my phone number the system just hung up on me. I hope you have better luck @Sundown and can chime back in and tell me how they fixed it for you.

Can you un parallel them and test them separately to see what happens? It seems to me like one of them is faulty. My pair of sp6548 in split phase have absolutely rock solid 120 volt output each.

Can you un parallel them and test them separately to see what happens? It seems to me like one of them is faulty. My pair of sp6548 in split phase have absolutely rock solid 120 volt output each.
I'm trying that as we speak. Just turned on the one "problem" inverter and changed output mode to Single. It's running the circuit just fine right now, but i'm not in there monitoring it constantly so i don't know if it has cut out at all. However, everytime i have checked it in the last few minutes it has been solid at 120v with no light flickering.

I'm trying that as we speak. Just turned on the one "problem" inverter and changed output mode to Single. It's running the circuit just fine right now, but i'm not in there monitoring it constantly so i don't know if it has cut out at all. However, everytime i have checked it in the last few minutes it has been solid at 120v with no light flickering.
I've done the single mode test before. Only in parallel do they have voltage problems.

Back