diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 - stuck low PV voltage

I havnt had any full cloudy days, but I would be happy if it fixed itself before 9am. It was mainly a problem for me in winter where it would be cloudy all day and would never fix itself.
Yeah as long as it's up by 8:30-9 which is generally when my big loads start. That would be a real problem if it did it all day. It's the intermittent clouds that I think trigger it. If it was super cloudy all day I imagine it could get stuck. I've only had it running for a couple weeks and I live in a desert.

Should be a new version, bought this spring after they started shipping with no neutral bond.

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_112044.jpg
    IMG_20230517_112044.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, something still isn't right. Are your panels out in the open so they get good exposure between 0630 and 0730?
Yes, no shading but they're south facing at around 18 degrees for string 2 and 30 something degrees for string 1. So they're not getting very direct sun that time of day.
Have you opened a ticket with SS?
No this isn't meeting my threshold of wanting to mess with a ticket yet, will hopefully eventually be resolved with firmware. If it starts doing it for longer periods of time then yeah.

Last edited:
What firmware are your inverters running?
I was having on off issues and upgraded to 79.70 due to the inverters turning off and on randomly.
After the firmware upgrade the on off issue is still random and have a new issues where the inverters turn on and off when the PV power starts to increase at sun rise and when the batteries reach 100%.

I still haven’t updated my firmware, so I do have the same issue but it hasn’t really mattered with the nice weather and long days.

I have an older model (pre Nov 22) (black terminals) and that is the one that works fine. New model (post Nov 22) (grey terminals) is the one with the issues.

I havnt had any full cloudy days, but I would be happy if it fixed itself before 9am. It was mainly a problem for me in winter where it would be cloudy all day and would never fix itself.

What firmware are your inverters running?
I was having on off issues and upgraded to 79.70 due to the inverters turning off and on randomly.
After the firmware upgrade the on off issue is still random and have a new issues where the inverters turn on and off when the PV power starts to increase at sun rise and when the batteries reach 100%.
Can you send me your info it sounds like you are having a hardware problem software cant fix.

What problems did you have that it didn't fix or what problem are you having. So far everyone that was having issues are good to go now.
@trig2 commented earlier in the thread that he updated to 79.70 and is still seeing the problem.
Updated to 79.70 a couple days ago. Seems to be the same. Here's this morning. I have noticed clear mornings are the worst, clouds seem to trigger it to sweep so it doesn't get stuck for so long. It did fix itself this morning.
Flipped breakers this morning.

I am here in Central Indiana. Lots of Cloudy days for me. At first I was pretty disappointment with what I was generating on cloudy days or early morning until I saw this post. Tried recycling it and after that power generation was more inline with what I was expecting.

Nothing to complain about this morning, voltage jumped pretty quick.
Was SS able to provide any help/insight into your issue?

I know mine looks similar to yours, but in my particular case when the voltage jumps is when the sun is cresting the trees, so it's working as it should.

1684419445195.png

I am talking now with Markus with Signature Solar. but for all your information or anyone experiencing the same issues I'' update this. Same thing today, even if it is sunny. Checked the system at 10 AM. This time instead of looking at Watts, I looked at voltage. All 4 inverters were hovering at 99 to 100 volts. Switched all my PV Arrays off, then back on, and then they all went up to 300s in voltage. All 4 inverters are exact same versions. U1 = 79/70, U2 = 61/12, and U3 = 00/00.

I wanted to give an update. They had me try to reflash the firmware and after doing this it appears to have fixed the issue. Don't know why the first time didn't make it work but appears to work now. Waiting for a cloudy day to see how it does before I say it is fully fixed, but it is looking good so far.

Back