diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex-48 died all the sudden

Tominenc

Hopefully someone can help me. I was working in my off grid workshop when all the sudden the inverter shut off. Power to the single inverter was completely out and the 3 Lifepower4 batteries were in fault mode (Red LED was solid on all). The batteries are at 100% SOC and the inverter had been receiving most of the power from the panels. I cut power from the batteries to the inverter and from the panels to the inverter and I turned off all the breakers on each battery and the breakers on the load center. I turned the breakers on all 3 batteries back on and all 4 SOC LED’s were solid green. I then flipped the switch between the battery bank and the inverter back on and immediately the batteries go into fault mode so I turned the entire bank back off again. I then tried powering the interver from the panels only and it will not power up. I opened the bottom panel of the inverter and did not observe or smell anything wrong. I then measured resistance across Battery Pos and Battery Neg inside the inverter and I measured 1-2 Ohms (battery is disconnected. This seems to indicate a short inside the inverter.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Hopefully someone can help me. I was working in my off grid workshop when all the sudden the inverter shut off. Power to the single inverter was completely out and the 3 Lifepower4 batteries were in fault mode (Red LED was solid on all). The batteries are at 100% SOC and the inverter had been receiving most of the power from the panels. I cut power from the batteries to the inverter and from the panels to the inverter and I turned off all the breakers on each battery and the breakers on the load center. I turned the breakers on all 3 batteries back on and all 4 SOC LED’s were solid green. I then flipped the switch between the battery bank and the inverter back on and immediately the batteries go into fault mode so I turned the entire bank back off again. I then tried powering the interver from the panels only and it will not power up. I opened the bottom panel of the inverter and did not observe or smell anything wrong. I then measured resistance across Battery Pos and Battery Neg inside the inverter and I measured 1-2 Ohms (battery is disconnected. This seems to indicate a short inside the inverter.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Unfortunately your not the first person I’ve heard of this from. I wana say the inverter had to be RMAed.

Is this just a single inverter or split phase?

How long has it been in service?

This is exactly why I just asked a question about startup procedure in another thread. This is not how to start up the inverters with rack batteries that have a precharge resistor. It can damage the the capacitors.

However, this doesn’t explain why the inverter shut off to begin with.

Check what alarms the batteries are showing
Could be something as simple as incorrectly set charge parameters and cell over voltage protection. However, given time the batteries should recover from that.

It's important to follow the correct start up procedure to avoid the inrush current causing faults at start up.

How long has this set up been installed?

Unfortunately your not the first person I’ve heard of this from. I wana say the inverter had to be RMAed.

Is this just a single inverter or split phase?

How long has it been in service?
This is a single inverter that has been in service for one year now.

This is exactly why I just asked a question about startup procedure in another thread. This is not how to start up the inverters with rack batteries that have a precharge resistor. It can damage the the capacitors.

However, this doesn’t explain why the inverter shut off to begin with.
Check what alarms the batteries are showing
Could be something as simple as incorrectly set charge parameters and cell over voltage protection. However, given time the batteries should recover from that.

It's important to follow the correct start up procedure to avoid the inrush current causing faults at start up.

How long has this set up been installed?
I’ve been running this system for a year now. I’ll try to hookup the laptop with the BMSTools to get the fault code. I’ll also try the pre-charge sequence - thanks.

If you haven't done so already, you'll want to download the user guide for this model ... in that, there is a troubleshooting section to review. Not sure which batteries you are using, but probably want their user guide & troubleshooting section on hand as well.

If the inverter is shutting down, it must be throwing fault codes ... I'd try to identify what code(s) are being thrown, and go from there. Same on the batteries. Post them here so others can help, and then start researching the exact fault code on the 'net (or this forum), for others' experiences with the issue.

When troubleshooting, I always try to simplify the scenario ... one battery, one inverter, no loads connected, no pc, no AC in or out. Don't know how easy it will be for you to get to this point, but perhaps you can shut off enough breakers & batteries to simulate the scenario. Should make troubleshooting much easier. The inverter should power on with just one suitable battery, and with everything else "off", you aren't chasing a bunch of problems at once.

Your model (the inverter manuals) seems to indicate that you could hook up "watchpower" (software app) to it ... have you done so? That's another source of "history" info.

Hope this helps ...

Following EG4 6500EX-48 and Lifepower4 startup procedure from SS on YT:

1. Make sure inverter button is in off position
  2. Make sure all 3 batteries are OFF
  3. switch on battery bank
  4. Turn on 1st battery in the bank
  5. Observe battery startup sequence as well as clicking sound indicating pre-charge occurring, 4 green LED’s cycle then turn off and Red LED turns on solid
  6. Switch off battery bank
  7. Obverse battery #1 Red LED turns off and green LED’s turn on
  8. Switch battery off and back on
  9. Connected BMS_Test_V2.7.3 (very flakey software by the way)
  10. No pre-existing alarms
  11. Switch battery bank to inverter on
  12. Red Fault LED turns on
  13. BMS_Test indicates - Alarm Status: None - Protection Status: 1 Short Circuit Protection
  14. Switch off battery bank to inverter
  15. Switch battery #1 off, turn back on and verify it returns to normal operation (all 4 Green LED’s are on, Green Run LED blinking normally).
Step #13 confirms what I believe is an internal short inside the inverter.

The inverter does not power up at all so I cannot pull fault codes from it.

I had the WatchPower app running previously and ran through the historical logs and there is no indication of any fault and all the voltages and PV input and Output power all look normal.

Inverter Main CPU firmware version: 79.02
Secondary CPU firmware version: 61.06

Following EG4 6500EX-48 and Lifepower4 startup procedure from SS on YT:

1. Make sure inverter button is in off position
  2. Make sure all 3 batteries are OFF
  3. switch on battery bank
  4. Turn on 1st battery in the bank
  5. Observe battery startup sequence as well as clicking sound indicating pre-charge occurring, 4 green LED’s cycle then turn off and Red LED turns on solid
  6. Switch off battery bank
  7. Obverse battery #1 Red LED turns off and green LED’s turn on
  8. Switch battery off and back on
  9. Connected BMS_Test_V2.7.3 (very flakey software by the way)
  10. No pre-existing alarms
  11. Switch battery bank to inverter on
  12. Red Fault LED turns on
  13. BMS_Test indicates - Alarm Status: None - Protection Status: 1 Short Circuit Protection
  14. Switch off battery bank to inverter
  15. Switch battery #1 off, turn back on and verify it returns to normal operation (all 4 Green LED’s are on, Green Run LED blinking normally).
Step #13 confirms what I believe is an internal short inside the inverter.

The inverter does not power up at all so I cannot pull fault codes from it.

I had the WatchPower app running previously and ran through the historical logs and there is no indication of any fault and all the voltages and PV input and Output power all look normal.

Inverter Main CPU firmware version: 79.02
Secondary CPU firmware version: 61.06
Would you mind messaging me your email and ill have one of our technicians reach out to you tomorrow so we can assist you with this.

I was just looking this model as a bundled deal signature solar has on these two of them for $2788 was thinking wow what a great deal for 13k watts of inverter power for $2800. How much load were you putting on it when it failed? Was there lot of inductive loads AC, or air compressors. I'm looking into something to power a 4 Ton heat pump, 2 1/2 HP pool pump, 6.5HP air compressor.

I was just looking this model as a bundled deal signature solar has on these two of them for $2788 was thinking wow what a great deal for 13k watts of inverter power for $2800. How much load were you putting on it when it failed? Was there lot of inductive loads AC, or air compressors. I'm looking into something to power a 4 Ton heat pump, 2 1/2 HP pool pump, 6.5HP air compressor.
Check these out too.

It’s been a great system for over a year but I had only been running loads on the weekends in my workshop. I’ve been running 2 - 20 amp circuits in my workshop (table saw, router, planer, dust collector, etc) which are all inductive loads, but with only 2 tools running at once (1 on each circuit) such as the Jointer and dust collector (15 amps each). Separate from the workshop and not at the same time and more reecently I have been running 2 - 500 watt window mount A/C units. These have been running several for hours during the day and sometimes 1 at night for about a month now.

I actually just saw that on their website, looks super cool. I feel like I’ve seen them being hit or miss, I don’t know enough to comment on that aspect, but that PDP thing it is shown with really makes it look attractive.

I seriously considered these units, and even going with Victron Multiplus-II’s, but I hate looking at all the wires with parallel inverters, no matter how clean you do it, it still looks terrible compared to the 18kpv/Sol-Ark solutions. This product seems to close the gap even further. That’s a lot of inverter/solar controller for the money, and a great looking install to boot.

It’s been a great system for over a year but I had only been running loads on the weekends in my workshop. I’ve been running 2 - 20 amp circuits in my workshop (table saw, router, planer, dust collector, etc) which are all inductive loads, but with only 2 tools running at once (1 on each circuit) such as the Jointer and dust collector (15 amps each). Separate from the workshop and not at the same time and more reecently I have been running 2 - 500 watt window mount A/C units. These have been running several for hours during the day and sometimes 1 at night for about a month now.
How has the idle consumption been? I go back and fourth on how much I care about that. On the one hand I find myself counting watts, on the other the price difference is such that you could easily slap an extra panel or two up and a bit more battery and come ahead.

I bet they aren’t many generations away from sipping power too.

How has the idle consumption been? I go back and fourth on how much I care about that. On the one hand I find myself counting watts, on the other the price difference is such that you could easily slap an extra panel or two up and a bit more battery and come ahead.

I bet they aren’t many generations away from sipping power too.
Idle consumption is about 70 watts with no load which hasn’t been enough for me to shut the inverter off right now, especially since we want to have the option of running 500 watts of AC without having to walk into the backyard to turn the inverter back on. I have ~15 kWH of battery and ~6kW of Solar so the batteries charge up very quickly from 75% SOC. When the sun wasn’t shining for days on end earlier this year, I would turn the inverter off when I wasn’t working in the shop.

Idle consumption is about 70 watts with no load which hasn’t been enough for me to shut the inverter off right now, especially since we want to have the option of running 500 watts of AC without having to walk into the backyard to turn the inverter back on. I have ~15 kWH of battery and ~6kW of Solar so the batteries charge up very quickly from 75% SOC. When the sun wasn’t shining for days on end earlier this year, I would turn the inverter off when I wasn’t working in the shop.
70w isn’t all that bad, I assume that’s maybe double the usage of the best equipment made, and over the course of a day isn’t THAT much.

It’s all above my head on how exactly Victron pulls it off, I’ve read firmware, but I have no real clue. Seems to me a single extra panel would cover it. Enticing idea there.

How much heat to these put out I hate to use AC to cool an inverter but that's what I'll have to do is install a mini-split in my garage. My thinking is over size much as I can, and they won't be like a couple of hair driers.

How much heat to these put out I hate to use AC to cool an inverter but that's what I'll have to do is install a mini-split in my garage. My thinking is over size much as I can, and they won't be like a couple of hair driers.
Can’t imagine they’re putting out any significant amount more heat than other inverters right? I mean maybe the idle draw is higher and that power is converted to heat, but we aren’t talking about a crazy amount of power here.

I think it’s probably darn near a linear line of power used and heat generation. The more you use, the more heat will be generated for sure

Part of the temp is gonna depend on the average temp of your garage. But @Watts Happening is right, you’ll probably “produce” more heat when your inverter works harder.

Make this video back in December when I was grid charging in prep for a winter storm. Not sure if it will help or not.

Part of troubleshooting is to disconnect enough stuff to get to a known simple scenario, perhaps one battery & one inverter. It could be that throwing a breaker isn't enough of a disconnect, depending on how the EG3 circuitry or design works. Look at other threads like this one:

diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-lifepower4-short-circuit-protection.41756/

Or, if the troubleshooting steps don't make sense to you, then stick with SS, as I see they are attempting to contact you to get this issue resolved.

Please do post the final resolution & steps, for other folks who have similar issues ...

Hope this helps ...

diy solar

diy solar
Back