diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 "HELP"

David Mitchal

I have an EG4 6500-48 Inverter/Charger that I need to connect to the Grid for A/C IN. The manual suggests #4 wire, but how do I connect #4 wires to the Main A/C Panel and what size breaker do I need for 120v system??? What am I missing? And please keep it simple.
HELP!!!
Thanks,
David

I have an EG4 6500-48 Inverter/Charger that I need to connect to the Grid for A/C IN. The manual suggests #4 wire, but how do I connect #4 wires to the Main A/C Panel and what size breaker do I need for 120v system??? What am I missing? And please keep it simple.
HELP!!!
Thanks,
David
I have an EG4 6000 and am using 60 amp double pole breakers in a sub panel right beside my inverters. POwer is fed from my main panel to this sub panel and then to the inverters. If you are operating only as 120 volt, you may only need a single pole breaker and your manual should inform you as to the amp rating. Just be sure that you are not trying to back fed a panel with your inverter output that has the AC input to your inverter.

I have an EG4 6000 and am using 60 amp double pole breakers in a sub panel right beside my inverters. POwer is fed from my main panel to this sub panel and then to the inverters. If you are operating only as 120 volt, you may only need a single pole breaker and your manual should inform you as to the amp rating. Just be sure that you are not trying to back fed a panel with your inverter output that has the AC input to your inverter.
The 6500EX-48 has a built-in breaker at the a/c IN but how do I get 120v from the Main Grid panel using #4 wire? Do I need a single pole 60amp breaker and that's it?
Thanks

The 6500EX-48 has a built-in breaker at the a/c IN but how do I get 120v from the Main Grid panel using #4 wire? Do I need a single pole 60amp breaker and that's it?
Thanks
I'm sure you have seen this, but this is how I started my journey.

Been there numerous times, no help, thanks anyway.
Nowhere in the manual does it say anything about the connection of A/C IN other than the wire size. Not one word about breaker size.

Nowhere in the manual does it say anything about the connection of A/C IN other than the wire size. Not one word about breaker size.
That's not completely true. While the manual doesn't specifically use the word "breaker". Page 42, specifications lists the MAX input current as 60A. Then at the end of the manual there is a certification that indicates the max output current is 54.2A.

I am using (2) 60A single pole breakers. (1) for each of my two 6500EX units.

The units will throttle to 60A max if bypass demand + charging demand >= 60A.

It will remove battery charging amps as bypass amp need increases. You might see a sligjt voltage dip when this happens. I tested mine at max and my voltage usually rock stable at 117V dipped to 113V when it hut the throttle.

My thread with lots of info on my setup

Thanks! Where did you find single pole 60 amp breakers for Homeline Load Center that uses Square D push in breakers?
I have not been able to find them anywhere.

Poking around it seems they do fit but are not UL listed as a direct replacement. I don't see a Homeline 60A single pole. You might have to buy a two pole breaker and only use one pole?

Yeah, thanks, that is the only option I could come up with also. Do you think using the square D two pole would be safer than the single pole Siemens?

I would say yes, but only because I have no experience with the Homline style breakers and I know there are a lot of "it's close" style breaker boxes.

Electrically a double pole breaker is no different than 2 single pole breakers installed next to each other. You would be able to use only 1 pole of the breaker safely.

Mechanically the poles are tied together so both will trip even if the problem is only present on one leg. The mechanical link is either accomplished by an externally handle tie or internally and in that case there would only be one handle.

Back