diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Install wiring question

So still working on the firmware update issue. However I have more issues.

When charging from the grid, AC in, the batteries don't charge. I left it running for a week and it didn't charge the batteries at all. Granted I was only letting it run from one inverter. It was suggested that I need to have two inverters to charge the battery from grid, is this right?

Another problem, when I turn on the second inverter, it gives me an alarm with code 61. I have the communication cables connected to the first inverter, the one I was using to charge them. I also have the black and red wires, as well as the DB9 connectors between the two inverters. I can't figure out what is wrong with it, I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade will solve this.

If you have 2 inverters running in split phase, you wouldn’t use the black and red current sharing cables.

When charging from the grid, AC in, the batteries don't charge. I left it running for a week and it didn't charge the batteries at all. Granted I was only letting it run from one inverter. It was suggested that I need to have two inverters to charge the battery from grid, is this right?

Another problem, when I turn on the second inverter, it gives me an alarm with code 61. I have the communication cables connected to the first inverter, the one I was using to charge them. I also have the black and red wires, as well as the DB9 connectors between the two inverters. I can't figure out what is wrong with it, I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade will solve this.
Welcome to the world of the EG4 6500EX-48! I just returned my 2 for store credit. Got 2 6000XPs paid for, awaiting shipment.

What do you have set for options 11 and 16?

The grid charging functions are independent of each other on the 6500s. I had mine all set to only have 1 inverter charge from grid (you still have to have grid installed to each inverter though).

Usually you get Error 61 on 2P2 because you have option 5 set to EG4. When you have a split phase setup with the 6500s and you want to have battery communications, your battery cable should be plugged into 2P1. Option 5 on 2P1 should be EG4 and option 5 on 2P2 should be USE.

As Gavin said, you don’t need the Red/Black twisted wires when you have just 2 inverters. Those are used when you have multiple inverters running in parallel on a single phase/leg (120v).

Back