diy solar

diy solar

EG4 - 6500EX-48 - Power Consumption

NVCYberPro

Hi,

I am new to Solar and am building an off grid system as time and money permit. So far I have a EG4-6500 with EG4-LL batteries and 10 - 410 Watt SolarEver panels. As is on sunny days the system runs basically everything I need it to run, I am saving for more panels and additional batteries as our after sunset activities are limited to keeping the well and a few critical items running as needed.

My question is not related to that so much and is more general. When the system has 0 load but is powered on, if my understanding is correct it, the system is drawing between 1.9 and 2.3 amps just waiting for something to be turned on requiring AC. Does this sound correct or do I have something configured wrong, Is that what it takes to keep the system running? seems like its pulling 90 - 110 watts with no load and the AC panel breakers disconnected.

Really what I need to know is this normal and that I need to plan for that 90 - 110 watt draw (loss) 24x7x365 or am I doing something wrong? My plans include adding a 2nd 6500EX-48 and running in split phase, if this is true just having both units would be similar to running a 250 watt heat lamp 24x7?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

View attachment 136444
Idle Power Consumption is listed at 70W (this may be outdated)

Below is a post from EG4 owner saying it should be 1.8amp. (80-85w).

Post in thread 'RESOLVED: EG4 6500EX and 6000EX Lights Flickering FIRMWARE'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/r...-lights-flickering-firmware.54956/post-704017

No, probably not.
Thank you for the clarification - I am ~20% higher than listed. and pretty much in lock step with w8dev. I would think that this and a lot of the EG4 documentation needs updating. Has anyone every read that small book that comes with the 6500EX? The settings on the first pages conflict with the setting listed in the middle of the book, the english and writing are awful.

I have yet to hear back from support @ Signature solar on many issues.

I have yet to be able to connect the BMS computer app to my EG4-LL V2 batteries, it appears that documentation is faulty as well, I don't know if it is a mix of V1 docs and V2 docs twisted together but I am getting really frustrated and feel I may have selected the wrong vendor.

I have yet to be able to connect the BMS computer app to my EG4-LL V2 batteries, it appears that documentation is faulty as well, I don't know if it is a mix of V1 docs and V2 docs twisted together but I am getting really frustrated and feel I may have selected the wrong vendor.

I have the same batteries (2/2023). Same problem. I've talked to signature and reviewed many threads/videos on it. The net is that you cannot monitor daisy-chained batteries with BMS. It's monitor them one at a time by direct connect or you need to build a parallel cable. Signature is aware of it (apparently not advising you on a new purchase).

Documentation is also faulty in that if you set ID1 with 6-pin DIPS, that is a different communication mode and will generate a bunch of junk when connecting to BMS. You need to use ID2+

They DO say that it does not impact the operational mode with the inverters... Take that for what it's worth.

I have the same batteries (2/2023). Same problem. I've talked to signature and reviewed many threads/videos on it. The net is that you cannot monitor daisy-chained batteries with BMS. It's monitor them one at a time by direct connect or you need to build a parallel cable. Signature is aware of it (apparently not advising you on a new purchase).

Documentation is also faulty in that if you set ID1 with 6-pin DIPS, that is a different communication mode and will generate a bunch of junk when connecting to BMS. You need to use ID2+

They DO say that it does not impact the operational mode with the inverters... Take that for what it's worth.
Hi dcg981,

Thank you for that information, so I would then need to change my battery to ID2+ power cycle the BMS and then connect the supplied cable? So with that do i use the rs485 port or one of the battery ports to connect to the PC?

Thanks again.

Thank you for that information, so I would then need to change my battery to ID2+ power cycle the BMS and then connect the supplied cable? So with that do i use the rs485 port or one of the battery ports to connect to the PC?
Set the ID to ID2 (or more). You must power cycle the battery after changing the ID. If other batteries are daisy chained on bat/com ports make sure their IDs are sequential after ID2. Use the RS485 port and cable. Connect to the PC, find the correct com port and BMS should find that battery and that battery alone.

Set the ID to ID2 (or more). You must power cycle the battery after changing the ID. If other batteries are daisy chained on bat/com ports make sure their IDs are sequential after ID2. Use the RS485 port and cable. Connect to the PC, find the correct com port and BMS should find that battery and that battery alone.
Thank you, I will give this a try.

Back