diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6500EX-48

Hillbilly_4ge

Anyone with a Eg4 have voltage at the PV Input without panels connected? I got like 30 volts. Is this normal? Im new to the bigboy hybrids. Been dealin with Signature Solar and they dont seem to have an answer just yet.

Anyone with a Eg4 have voltage at the PV Input without panels connected? I got like 30 volts. Is this normal? Im new to the bigboy hybrids. Been dealin with Signature Solar and they dont seem to have an answer just yet.
Yes that’s common with all the 6500 watt inverters. In fact, they have a warning on the box of the eg46500’s for that reason. That’s one of the reasons why it’s recommended to have a PV disconnect in place.

Im glad they finally acknowledged it.. when grid is connected, i am getting AC 130V to ground from both the positive and the negative pv input.. but between the 2 negatives or the 2 positives i was getting AC 350V.. THIS IS SOME DANGEROUS STUFF, because people assume if they have a pv combiner box, flip the dc breakers at the array and the other side of the breaker is dead.. I now always put a pv breaker box at the EG4s and another out at the array..

Im glad they finally acknowledged it.. when grid is connected, i am getting AC 130V to ground from both the positive and the negative pv input.. but between the 2 negatives or the 2 positives i was getting AC 350V.. THIS IS SOME DANGEROUS STUFF, because people assume if they have a pv combiner box, flip the dc breakers at the array and the other side of the breaker is dead.. I now always put a pv breaker box at the EG4s and another out at the array..

It’s always recommended to have a PV disconnect. And that takes care of issues from either side really.

It’s always recommended to have a PV disconnect. And that takes care of issues from either side really.
yes, but in this case any solar tech will assume the power is coming from the panels.. flip the breaker to work on the inverter side and is "shocked" to find power there also.. I currently always put a pv breaker box at the eg4s and the array so the tech can at least know when it is dead on the inverter side of the array breakers.. at the eg4 inverter location I have to be VERY specific of shutting everything down before ANY work on the pv input.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back