diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Generator input

mikeyoungvcu89

I'm wondering how people have connected a generator or utility power to these inverters. I only see one Line, a N and a ground for the input..however, the manual talks about line 1 and line 2 (Black and Red). It made me wonder if they intended to connect the 2 separate hot lines from a PB 30 but since the manual also says the input is 120-150v I don't think so. My generator is Neutral/Ground bonded. I dont have utility power, its totally off-grid. My current inverter which I'm replacing with the EG4 feeds the small panel with no main breaker and one neutral/ground bar. I have no 240v loads just several 15a 120v circuits.
Help I dont think I installed the old system optimally and I want to make sure I install the new one correctly.

1671056548057.png

is your inverter 120vav ac? if so then 120v input
if you have 2 inverter set for split phase. both get the same neutral and one gets black on L1 and the other gets red on L1

I just have 1 120v EG4 and no need for split phase. What you said is more clear than the manual and makes sense.
So I guess I will just use one leg off the 30a generator output. Still not sure about proper grounding with ground / neutral bonded generator. I think Signature Solar recommends the generator power come into a sub panel but then should the line, ground and neutral from the sub panel go straight on to the inverter ? I'm not sure what that would do.

There should only be 1 Neutral-Ground bond for the whole system. Normally its in the Main Panel but could also be either in the Generator or Inverter. Since your breaker panel has a shared Neutral/Ground bus bar then the choice is to remove the N-G bond in the generator or add a new bus bar to the panel and separate Neutral and Ground wires.
Not sure about the EG6500 in particular but it may have a removable N-G bond screw. This subject seems to produce an endless supply of comments. My logic says it makes sense to wire the system in as much of a conventional manner as possible so you as well as anyone else will understand it. In this case, keep the shared N-G bus in the panel and disconnect all others because this is how conventional utility power is done.

Ya you only have 3 wires to worry about with that unit L1 ( hot ) N , & G . IF you had the split phase unit or two Eg4 6500,s then L2 would be red and goto 2nd inverter. I have the same unit as you.

The 6500EX does have a removable bonding screw. Will shows it in one of his videos. I left mine in. YMMV.

As to the generator question, I spoke to Signature and they recommended not running a gen direct into the EG4 due to the dirtiness of the power. They recommend running a 48V charger with your gen and going to the batteries instead.

I like the idea of leaving the bond in the inverter since that's the first source (except when the generator is running) and adding a second bar to the load center and separating the grounds and neutral. I could certainly also remove the ground/neutral from the generator but I'm not sure how critical that really is for an occasional use generator - I see different opinions and Generac is a hard no on doing that. Using a separate charger with the generator is also an interesting idea which I think solves the problem. Thanks for all the advice !

My 48V chargers for generator charging.

View attachment 127560
@PreppenWolf I seen the video that he says to use chargers instead of a generator. However I don't think he mentioned about a inverter generator whats your opinion on that. My current gen is not inverter based generator and would definitely prefer the gen to inverter hook-up rather than chargers I have my system set up with breakers and a outside 240 plug. I do like you charger set up, if I can't go direct to inverter I will have to get 5 chargers and do the same set up, I'll probably set it up with Anderson connector and have it just plug up. Are those 18amp chargers? He mentions 25amp but they don't have that available. I did buy one last year that was supposed to 25amp but it's actually 5amp they credited my account for the mistake.

Attachments

• 20221231_141832.jpg
    20221231_141832.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
They are 18A chargers. On the gen straight to Inverter, I think it depends how you use it and the quality of the gen. The inverter tries to match the phasing of the input to the output (in case bypass is needed). If the output of the gen is not consistent, I could see how a HF inverter might be damaged.

Well the gen a have now is not inverter, its a reg 10000/8000, I'm debating whether or not to get the duromax 9000/7500 inverter ATS ready and parallel capability of course its $2000
And just sell my unit, or do what you have. How are you connecting to the batteries? Just direct to the buss bar.
What do the inverter/s do with 90amps going in to the batteries?

Straight to busbar.

The inverter just sees the battery voltage increase. It doesn't care there are chargers connected.

Awesome, do you know the amp draw of those chargers? I just hate the money I spent on the panel and outdoor recptical for the gen. I gues I have a decision to make.

Ok so that's 45amp draw on the gen, what size gen do you have?, mine is rated at 33amps, 10000/8000.

Gotcha that makes sense, so even if I tweak it down to 3 chargers that's still 54 amps of charge and still would be under my 33 amps. which is more or less 50 to 60amp charge from my inverters with 30 amp input direct connction. I think I might go with this instead. I may get some input from SS in reference to the inverters gen.

Thanks for the info
Ivan

Last edited:
I just have 1 120v EG4 and no need for split phase. What you said is more clear than the manual and makes sense.
So I guess I will just use one leg off the 30a generator output. Still not sure about proper grounding with ground / neutral bonded generator. I think Signature Solar recommends the generator power come into a sub panel but then should the line, ground and neutral from the sub panel go straight on to the inverter ? I'm not sure what that would do.
I am very new to understanding this. I have this same setup. I can use one leg from the 30 amp? Or do I insert both to the input? Also how do I get it correct to the panel in the house. The generator panel is currently the only power the house panel is attached to.

diy solar

diy solar
Back