diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6500EX Solar Assistant Connection Issue

shaggy745

Hi all,

I am setting up a Solar Assistant monitor for my EG4 6500EX and 2 x Lifepower 4 batteries.
HAve been able to get the account setup and on my network, however I'm unabe to get the raspberry pi to connect to my inverter.
I'm using the usb to ethernet cable fro the raspberry pi into the ethernet port on the inverter. I keep getting the following message:
1676230808023.png
No other USB ports appear to be available as options.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

You're using the wrong cable. You need to use usb to micro usb, make sure it's a good one, some will not work. You should have a few to try.

When SA sent me the usb/rj45 it did not worked either. I managed to connect it using the rj45/db9 serial that comes with the inverter. Then I used a DB9 Serial to USB to connect to the PI.

Last edited:
When SA sent me the usb/rj45 it did not worked neither. I managed to connect it using the rj45/db9 serial that comes with the inverter. Then I used a DB9 Serial to USB to connect to the PI.
You made it harder on yourself. Who doesn't have a micro usb cable...

When SA sent me the usb/rj45 it did not worked either. I managed to connect it using the rj45/db9 serial that comes with the inverter. Then I used a DB9 Serial to USB to connect to the PI.
Interestingly, the cable that SA sent works fine to connect my computer directly to the batteries to run the BMS Test app. Trying the microusb output currently, though I thought that was just for firmware upgrades and not for comms...

Interestingly, the cable that SA sent works fine to connect my computer directly to the batteries to run the BMS Test app. Trying the microusb output currently, though I thought that was just for firmware upgrades and not for comms...
Both of my EG4 uses micro usb for solar assistant, and no they are dual purpose. It's more readily available and cheaper.

Micro USB cable connection generates the following error. Same result with 2 different cables.
1676235787693.png

OK, got it to work with my 3rd USB cable!
New question: Is there a way to monitor multiple packs when solar assistant is connected to the inverter and feeding back battery data through there? I'm only seeing one pack currently.

If your using the inverter to read battery values you will only see the master battery. Also....SA only starts to work using address 2 and up. Since the inverter uses address 1 for comunication there is no way SA will read the Master Battery. This is one additional reason I decided to use the "user" setting. I used a rj45 combiner and connected al the batteries to it. Then fed SA with an RJ45 to USB cable and I can see my packs individually including cell voltages, etc. Also, the state of charge when using inverter values for the battery is not accurate.

If your using the inverter to read battery values you will only see the master battery. Also....SA only starts to work using address 2 and up. Since the inverter uses address 1 for comunication there is no way SA will read the Master Battery. This is one additional reason I decided to use the "user" setting. I used a rj45 combiner and connected al the batteries to it. Then fed SA with an RJ45 to USB cable and I can see my packs individually including cell voltages, etc. Also, the state of charge when using inverter values for the battery is not accurate.
Are you able to see your inverter as well in this setup?

Here's the dipswitch settings for the batteries. When you're using SA you'll need to start with the first battery as #2 in the list -

1673116813514.png

So each of the two batteries into the RJ45 combiner, and that into the USB input on the Raspberry Pi. and then the inverter into a second USB input on the RP?

I just ordered this cable from watts247.com it says it's for EG4 communications and is an alternative for micro USB https://watts247.com/product/solar-assistant-remote-monitoring-mpp-solar-rs232/ But it doesnt work for me, it just keeps saying "No response". I did an update on SA as well and still the same issue. Why would they advertise it for EG4 comms if it doesn't work? Currently working with Ian to get a refund.

Screenshot_20230213-172752.png

The last communication I had with Ian and Pierre on this they indicated that an update later this year for SA would include the functionality to act as a proxy for EG4 batteries and Voltronics inverters. I don't think the cable is your problem. Have you communicated with tech support at Solar Assistant (Pierre)?

Take a look at this thread. He had MPP LV6548 inverters but those should be the same on setup. Edit: It wasn't the same exact problem as yours but the information and solution may help you out.

Here's a pic of the micro usb cable attached to the inverter. This provides communication with the SA raspberry pi.
1676418977026.png

Here's a pic of the same cable at the other end, connected to the Pi, and the cable that connects to the battery (first battery). You should have both of these cables.

1676419273768.png

Here's a pic of the micro usb cable attached to the inverter. This provides communication with the SA raspberry pi.
View attachment 134865

Here's a pic of the same cable at the other end, connected to the Pi, and the cable that connects to the battery (first battery). You should have both of these cables.

View attachment 134866
Thank you. The problem is that I bought the RS232 cable which is marketed as an alternative to the micro USB, from their website: "This RS232 cable can be used as an alternative to the USB B or micro USB cable."
But I can't get it to work.

I did try to hook up a micro USB to my SA PI, in the same configuration as yours, but it doesn't detect any USB port. I tried two different micro USB cables, and tried rebooting the SA PI unit. My inverters were both inverting and charging at the time, should I reboot the 6500ex units to see if it works?

Thank you. The problem is that I bought the RS232 cable which is marketed as an alternative to the micro USB, from their website: "This RS232 cable can be used as an alternative to the USB B or micro USB cable."
But I can't get it to work.

I did try to hook up a micro USB to my SA PI, in the same configuration as yours, but it doesn't detect any USB port. I tried two different micro USB cables, and tried rebooting the SA PI unit. My inverters were both inverting and charging at the time, should I reboot the 6500ex units to see if it works?
I haven't tried it with an RS232 cable. On rebooting the inverters, I don't think it will resolve this but then again it's possible. I'd say try it. If that doesn't work I'd reach out to SA support.

info@solar-assistant.io

Update on my issue: based on recommendations from other members I purchased a cheap serial to USB adapter from amazon and connected it to the serial to rj45 cable that came with the inverter, and it works just fine. The rs232 cable which SA advertises for use with EG4 inverter comms does not work. I notified SA and Ian to immediately stop the false advertising and will be shipping back this cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215-163932.png
    Screenshot_20230215-163932.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230215-163853.png
    Screenshot_20230215-163853.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230215_163843513.jpg
    IMG_20230215_163843513.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 32
OK, got it to work with my 3rd USB cable!
New question: Is there a way to monitor multiple packs when solar assistant is connected to the inverter and feeding back battery data through there? I'm only seeing one pack currently.
Yes, watch this: https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/eg4
I'm monitoring 6 battery packs and it works great. Basically rj-45 connected in parallel using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4P3W9VJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Update on my issue: based on recommendations from other members I purchased a cheap serial to USB adapter from amazon and connected it to the serial to rj45 cable that came with the inverter, and it works just fine. The rs232 cable which SA advertises for use with EG4 inverter comms does not work. I notified SA and Ian to immediately stop the false advertising and will be shipping back this cable.
The cable you show is what you need for connecting the inverters to SA (1 per inverter).

I purchased the USB to cat5 from Ian and use it in my environment and it works with no issues.

diy solar

diy solar
Back