diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 battery comms with solark

Would VRM show all component data using this hub: @SignatureSolarPeyton

Connect a Cerbo GX to CAN1, 0001 Battery to RS485-1 and 2P1 Inverter to RS485-3?

Just want to be sure before purchasing these pieces...
I saw your post from earlier. I am waiting on a response from our R&D dept currently. I want to make sure I'm providing the best information before I put it out there. That being said, I should have an answer by this afternoon.

Would VRM show all component data using this hub: @SignatureSolarPeyton

Connect a Cerbo GX to CAN1, 0001 Battery to RS485-1 and 2P1 Inverter to RS485-3?

Just want to be sure before purchasing these pieces...
After speaking with R&D, I found out that we haven't tested this just yet, so for now, the VRM will only show what the Cerbo is displaying. Essentially, the only things you wouldn't be able to see would be the comms hub and the 6500.

After speaking with R&D, I found out that we haven't tested this just yet, so for now, the VRM will only show what the Cerbo is displaying. Essentially, the only things you wouldn't be able to see would be the comms hub and the 6500.
So could this module work with other inverters using Can Bus say like a Sol Ark? Also since it’s 485 input could it be used with other battery brands?

I think you guys are onto something here. An interface module would be a big market item and solve a bunch of problems.

Any chance of this working with SMA?
So could this module work with other inverters using Can Bus say like a Sol Ark? Also since it’s 485 input could it be used with other battery brands?

I think you guys are onto something here. An interface module would be a big market item and solve a bunch of problems.
The hub will allow for communications with both Sol-Ark and SMA. I'm actually going to attach the list of compatible inverters below.

CANLIST.png

Check out the video that Peyton posted earlier in this thread

Check out the video that Peyton posted earlier in this thread
I watched the video already and I think it’s not a stretch that it could also be compatible with other ESS brands. I would need to speak with your engineer before purchase.

What is your retail price on the module?

I watched the video already and I think it’s not a stretch that it could also be compatible with other ESS brands. I would need to speak with your engineer before purchase.

What is your retail price on the module?
$99.00

I will speak with them today and see what they have to say. I'll edit this post when I have an answer.

EDIT:

The hub is only compatible with the BMS of the LP4 battery, no other models.

Last edited:
So, will the batteries communicate through the hub to both the Cerbo GX and 6500EX, or will the inverters need to be in "USE" rather than "EG4" when connected to the hub?

$99.00

I will speak with them today and see what they have to say. I'll edit this post when I have an answer.

EDIT:

Well they may not now but your 50% there. If you program for other BMS’s on the input side you’re going to have a winner. It’s a great idea as it is now. You have the inverter side worked out. If you do the same thing with the battery side and offer multiple protocols they will sell like hot cakes. Retail price is right too.

So, will the batteries communicate through the hub to both the Cerbo GX and 6500EX, or will the inverters need to be in "USE" rather than "EG4" when connected to the hub?
Yes! I actually tested this myself yesterday and was successful. I can attach a picture of how everything needs to be wired up if needed.

was successful. I can attach a picture
Awesome, that would be helpful. Did you try VRM to see what data was reported: BMS, PV, inverter? Probably just BMS/battery data passed to VRM?

The manual says to connect through hub's RS485-3 port for an RS485 inverter. What happens if the RS232 communication port (for FW updates) or the OTG-USB port on the 6500EX is used rather than the RS485 BMS port. What data is passed, or does the inverter not function with the hub at all using those ports?

Awesome, that would be helpful. Did you try VRM to see what data was reported: BMS, PV, inverter? Probably just BMS/battery data passed to VRM?

The manual says to connect through hub's RS485-3 port for an RS485 inverter. What happens if the RS232 communication port (for FW updates) or the OTG-USB port on the 6500EX is used rather than the RS485 BMS port. What data is passed, or does the inverter not function with the hub at all using those ports?
For some reason, my VRM account is acting up, so I'm not able to see exactly what it's displaying, but it should show exactly what is on the GX Touch, which IS just the battery BMS data. ( I will attach a picture of what that looks like).

You can use the RS232 and it will display the exact same information as if you were using the Original port, however, the USB port will not allow for data to be transmitted and you will need to be in USE mode instead of EG4. I went ahead and attached a picture of how everything is wired to the hub as well.

Also, be sure to remember these things:

- The cable running from the Hub to the Cerbo will be pinned 7&8 on the Cerbo side and 4&5 on the Hub side.
- The cable running from the battery to the hub must be a standard RS485 cable with all pinouts.
- The cable running from the Hub to the 6500 must be the cable that came with the unit. image_67125249.JPGimage_67198977.JPG

Clarification, I know I can feed my Victron smart shunt into a Cerbo GX via VE bus. Can I then feed the Cerbo GX data into the communication module and then from the module into a Sol Ark?

$99.00

EDIT:

To be 100% clear, this hub will NOT work with EG4LL V1 and V2 battery?

So to sum it up..... This is called upselling ...
what should be done is simply add the pylontech protocol to this bms ( it probably si already there anymway, or replaced by EG4 protocol)
why would anyone spend yet another USD 100 for something that should be there to begin with...
maybe i was wrong about signature after all

Back