diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 battery comms with solark

Any chance of this working with SMA?
So could this module work with other inverters using Can Bus say like a Sol Ark? Also since it’s 485 input could it be used with other battery brands?

I think you guys are onto something here. An interface module would be a big market item and solve a bunch of problems.
The hub will allow for communications with both Sol-Ark and SMA. I'm actually going to attach the list of compatible inverters below.

CANLIST.png

So could this module work with other inverters using Can Bus say like a Sol Ark? Also since it’s 485 input could it be used with other battery brands?

I think you guys are onto something here. An interface module would be a big market item and solve a bunch of problems.
Check out the video that Peyton posted earlier in this thread

Check out the video that Peyton posted earlier in this thread
I watched the video already and I think it’s not a stretch that it could also be compatible with other ESS brands. I would need to speak with your engineer before purchase.

What is your retail price on the module?

I watched the video already and I think it’s not a stretch that it could also be compatible with other ESS brands. I would need to speak with your engineer before purchase.

What is your retail price on the module?
$99.00

I will speak with them today and see what they have to say. I'll edit this post when I have an answer.

EDIT:

The hub is only compatible with the BMS of the LP4 battery, no other models.

Last edited:
After speaking with R&D, I found out that we haven't tested this just yet, so for now, the VRM will only show what the Cerbo is displaying. Essentially, the only things you wouldn't be able to see would be the comms hub and the 6500.
So, will the batteries communicate through the hub to both the Cerbo GX and 6500EX, or will the inverters need to be in "USE" rather than "EG4" when connected to the hub?

$99.00

I will speak with them today and see what they have to say. I'll edit this post when I have an answer.

EDIT:

Well they may not now but your 50% there. If you program for other BMS’s on the input side you’re going to have a winner. It’s a great idea as it is now. You have the inverter side worked out. If you do the same thing with the battery side and offer multiple protocols they will sell like hot cakes. Retail price is right too.

So, will the batteries communicate through the hub to both the Cerbo GX and 6500EX, or will the inverters need to be in "USE" rather than "EG4" when connected to the hub?
Yes! I actually tested this myself yesterday and was successful. I can attach a picture of how everything needs to be wired up if needed.

was successful. I can attach a picture
Awesome, that would be helpful. Did you try VRM to see what data was reported: BMS, PV, inverter? Probably just BMS/battery data passed to VRM?

The manual says to connect through hub's RS485-3 port for an RS485 inverter. What happens if the RS232 communication port (for FW updates) or the OTG-USB port on the 6500EX is used rather than the RS485 BMS port. What data is passed, or does the inverter not function with the hub at all using those ports?

Awesome, that would be helpful. Did you try VRM to see what data was reported: BMS, PV, inverter? Probably just BMS/battery data passed to VRM?

The manual says to connect through hub's RS485-3 port for an RS485 inverter. What happens if the RS232 communication port (for FW updates) or the OTG-USB port on the 6500EX is used rather than the RS485 BMS port. What data is passed, or does the inverter not function with the hub at all using those ports?
For some reason, my VRM account is acting up, so I'm not able to see exactly what it's displaying, but it should show exactly what is on the GX Touch, which IS just the battery BMS data. ( I will attach a picture of what that looks like).

You can use the RS232 and it will display the exact same information as if you were using the Original port, however, the USB port will not allow for data to be transmitted and you will need to be in USE mode instead of EG4. I went ahead and attached a picture of how everything is wired to the hub as well.

Also, be sure to remember these things:

- The cable running from the Hub to the Cerbo will be pinned 7&8 on the Cerbo side and 4&5 on the Hub side.
- The cable running from the battery to the hub must be a standard RS485 cable with all pinouts.
- The cable running from the Hub to the 6500 must be the cable that came with the unit. image_67125249.JPGimage_67198977.JPG

Clarification, I know I can feed my Victron smart shunt into a Cerbo GX via VE bus. Can I then feed the Cerbo GX data into the communication module and then from the module into a Sol Ark?

$99.00

EDIT:

To be 100% clear, this hub will NOT work with EG4LL V1 and V2 battery?

So to sum it up..... This is called upselling ...
what should be done is simply add the pylontech protocol to this bms ( it probably si already there anymway, or replaced by EG4 protocol)
why would anyone spend yet another USD 100 for something that should be there to begin with...
maybe i was wrong about signature after all

what should be done is simply add the pylontech protocol to this bms ( it probably si already there anymway, or replaced by EG4 protocol)
why would anyone spend yet another USD 100 for something that should be there to begin with...
It's just a tool to provide ease of use and accessibility. The batteries work just fine without the features that the HUB provides, but those users that like more accessibility are able to get a solution for their entire rack for $100. This is less than the difference in the price between the Lifepower4 and LL battery lines and if you are getting 12 batteries, it will allow you closed loop with most of the top brands and you'll still come in way under the price of any battery on the market that is able to provide these features. This product was not developed to directly make a bunch of money for SS, it was to help the end user save a bunch of money by getting top tier features for a real value.

It's just a tool to provide ease of use and accessibility. The batteries work just fine without the features that the HUB provides, but those users that like more accessibility are able to get a solution for their entire rack for $100. This is less than the difference in the price between the Lifepower4 and LL battery lines and if you are getting 12 batteries, it will allow you closed loop with most of the top brands and you'll still come in way under the price of any battery on the market that is able to provide these features. This product was not developed to directly make a bunch of money for SS, it was to help the end user save a bunch of money by getting top tier features for a real value.
sorry ben, dont agree by a long shot...
i do see trying to make thing easier, but these server rack batteries come equiped with the pylontech protocol by default, weather it be on CANBUS or rs485 , would matter to most inverter ( exception is the voltronic build , which only come with rs485)...
the fact that one needs to add yet another box, add yet more cluster and another SPOF would simply not be acceptable to me , not to mention the need to pay yet again extra for something i would not want

I hate upsells as much as the rest, the facts just don't support that argument tho...

There are no screens on the lifepower4 (in order to deliver better cost)
There is no long-term storage
You have to have a CAN port to communicate with Deye/Solark, Solark has restricted the RS485 and would not work with us based on the fear of future inverter competition.

all of this adds up to needing:
-a CAN port
-a datalogger
-a screen

Go get a price on manufacturing these, we are practically giving them away.
any MFR that will work with RS485 and doesn't have an issue with us we have just added for free,( I.E. Schneider)

I hate upsells as much as the rest, the facts just don't support that argument tho...

There are no screens on the lifepower4 (in order to deliver better cost)
There is no long-term storage
You have to have a CAN port to communicate with Deye/Solark, Solark has restricted the RS485 and would not work with us based on the fear of future inverter competition.

all of this adds up to needing:
-a CAN port
-a datalogger
-a screen

Go get a price on manufacturing these, we are practically giving them away.
any MFR that will work with Rs485 and doesn't have an issue with us we have just added for free,( I.E. Schneider)

KiloVault HAB seems to work just fine on rs485 and sol-ark...

again , just my 2 cents here

I think this is a great idea, and really helps out the folks with the non screen batteries (haven't seen a better price anywhere for this type of pack than these, so idk whats all the complaining about) and now for $100 they can have a screen displaying each battery SOC which is quite awesome in my opinion.

i was merely reffering to the protocol james.
Again stay off the defence, just giving my opinion you do what ever you want to do
You have a good line of critique here to be honest, upselling stinks. just trying to share the rationale, we would have happily launched a firmware if one were possible as it would have boosted sales and supported our mission.

Last edited:
@SignatureSolarJames @SignatureSolarPeyton
I just received and connected my communications hub and it is working great. So pleased my two parallel SolArks and LF4 rack can now talk. I had noticed that the SOC on the SolArk was off by at least 10 percentage points running open-loop compared to the battery info. With summer approaching and expected higher demand on the batteries, I appreciate the effort put into the hub.

Just an fyi for others, I had previously set my batteries dips to 3-4-5-6-7-8 (months ago, thinking my SolArks would be 1-2 at the time). I left them set there and the LF4s worked just fine with the comms hub. It took all of 10 minutes to setup.

Thanks,
Paul

@SignatureSolarJames Where's the recommended place to connect the ring terminals to the battery voltage when using an EG4 battery rack? On the battery terminals on top of the existing cable, or find the right size of screw and use an open spot on the bus bar?

diy solar

diy solar
Back