diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter Settings

I've found sometimes whatever your plugging your chargeverter into can't handle the surge on startup. I have to start at a lower current and then ramp up manually for it to work properly.
I have a Champion 100297 hooked to my EG4 Chargeverter. The Chargeverter is set to 100a and I leave it all turned on.... the Chargerverter breaker is 'on' and the AC distribution panel is 'on' etc. When I start the generator, the generator delays a few seconds (10sec? 20sec?) and then the Chargeverter load kicks in and the 100a charging starts which is ~5600w load on the generator at 50v battery voltage.
1704579347915.png

I've done this ~5 times now and it seems to be working - but that's not proof it will always work. On the other hand, I can't think of a theory for 'surge' except maybe the generator has trouble meeting a 5000-6000w semi-instantaneous load?

What do you think is happening to cause a surge?

I have a Champion 100297 hooked to my EG4 Chargeverter. The Chargeverter is set to 100a and I leave it all turned on.... the Chargerverter breaker is 'on' and the AC distribution panel is 'on' etc. When I start the generator, the generator delays a few seconds (10sec? 20sec?) and then the Chargeverter load kicks in and the 100a charging starts.

I've done this ~5 times now and it seems to be working - but that's not proof it will always work. On the other hand, I can't think of a theory for 'surge' except maybe the generator has trouble meeting a 100a (5000-6000w) instantaneous load?

What do you think is happening to cause a surge?
Honestly it’s just a guess.

Recently I’ve been using mine to perform discharge tests on power stations. There’s been quite a few times where I get the same results as mentioned above where current drops to 0 and the red and green lights are both on. At the same time, the AC output on the power stations tend to reset and cycle.

If I start at a low current and slowly ramp up, there’s no issues.

I've done this ~5 times now and it seems to be working - but that's not proof it will always work. On the other hand, I can't think of a theory for 'surge' except maybe the generator has trouble meeting a 5000-6000w semi-instantaneous load

Specs on the generator show it to be able to power more than that. Check to see if there is an ECO mode or anything like that on the generator. Typically, its included to save on the amount of fuel used, but not all of them have a setting/mode like that. I have seen ECO mode on generators cause issues with providing power to inverters/chargers etc.

Specs on the generator show it to be able to power more than that. Check to see if there is an ECO mode or anything like that on the generator. Typically, its included to save on the amount of fuel used, but not all of them have a setting/mode like that. I have seen ECO mode on generators cause issues with providing power to inverters/chargers etc.
Yes, the Champion 100297 generator can power more than 5600w but it will only power what's asked of it.

The Chargerverter does up to 100a (max) and if my battery is at 50v, then 100a * 50v = 5000w. It's ~5600w load on the generator because 10% is lost in AC -> DC conversion in the Chargerverter.

Just installed the EG4 Chargeverter. Should the V be set at the batteries Absorption voltage? I have Fullriver DC1150-2 Batteries wired together in a 48V System. The data sheet says the absorption voltage is 58.8V, Bulk 58.8V. and Float at 54.6V.

I currently have the EG4 Chargverter set at 52V and 80 Amps for a total of 4,160W going to the busbar (not sure if that amount is actually going to the batteries since my understanding is that some of that power could be going to house as well). The batteries are charging, just wanted to see what others thought about the Voltage setting on the Chargverter.

EDIT: Just looked at the specs for the Chargverter and the max is 57V. I set it at the float of 54.6V and 80 Amp for a total of 4,368W. The Generator can do 7kW so this isn't a problem for it. Would still like some thoughts on my settings.

I was going to say "No", because don't want to hold batteries at Absorption forever. But "No" would be for always-on input like the grid. I would set it to Float.

But you're feeding with a generator. In that case, Absorption could be good if you're using generator to perform absorption, and will shut off when complete. If generator was being run for more hours powering other loads, have to reevaluate if that is the thing to do. I think there was a min and a max absorption time.

I think people might use generator for Bulk, try to use PV for absorption rather than operating generator at low load. Depending on circumstances.

I've just commissioned a used FullRiver 8s 250A 6V bank (48V), with inverter/charger normally on grid. I set Absorption, time, Float, Current according to data sheet. It may get PV sometimes, but managed by same inverter/charger (because AC coupled.)

Just installed the EG4 Chargeverter. Should the V be set at the batteries Absorption voltage? I have Fullriver DC1150-2 Batteries wired together in a 48V System. The data sheet says the absorption voltage is 58.8V, Bulk 58.8V. and Float at 54.6V.
As a minimum, the voltage setting must be high enough to allow charge (CC or CV) to flow to the battery. Other than that, the operational goals you have in mind will come into play.

For example, if I used the EG4 to automatically 'top off' my battery, I operate a limited voltage range (max hi 56v to min low 49.5v) for long life so my top voltage is custom - e.g. 56v - and is not the max the battery can do. Note: I'm 18650 INR chemistry - 58.8v to 42v range.

At a practical, operational level I only run my generator for emergency power/backup - so I set my EG4 for 57v so that I always get the CC portion of the charge curve - e.g. maximum amps going into the battery while the generator is running - and monitor manually. I don't want to do CV and have the generator making noise while the amps are going down to 0.

My point is that there's no magic or no requirement except as a safety measure I wouldn't set it higher than you're max battery - e.g. 58.4v for LifePo4 for example - and it has to be high enough to allow current to flow to the battery.

Last edited:
Back