diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

I've looked at the Mr Cool on and off, I just can't justify the extra money for the quick connects when I can buy a vac pump and gauges at a cheaper cost while also having more tools I'll rarely use ?
Plus you lose some efficiency, if the lines are longer than they need to be.

I plan on installing at least three or four mini splits. So I think the investment on tools would have paid off. But I already have them because I have worked on air conditioners for cars.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but when I think of cool battery voltage appliances, my mind jumps to the idea that when it's time to replace it, or if the world suddenly ends, you may not be able to find it or replacement parts because it is a rare compared to utility voltage appliances.

So then , wouldn't it be better to take the small efficiency hit by using an inverter to power regular, readily-available, off-the-shelf appliances?

Will it qualify for rebates / tax credits?
It's not Energy Star or even AHRI certified, whereas I think Hotspots are, so that isn't helpful. I did take the tax credit, "solar equipment" at a minimum right?

I thought about having my Elec Co op guys come out and yank the power cord themselves, maybe issue a variance. ?

Last edited:

I plan on installing at least three or four mini splits. So I think the investment on tools would have paid off. But I already have them because I have worked on air conditioners for cars.
I have this strange feeling after I install the first one I'll be installing at least 2 more, the tools will definitely pay for themselves.

Do yourself a favor and get a valve that goes right to the low site 5/16 port that can close/open the Schrader valve without breaking vacuum. That way, when you remove the vacuum line, air doesn't sneak in when you are removing the line. Also, if you can afford a decent micron gauge to make sure you get all the moisture out and leak check.

Anyone have experience and/or info on other brands of hybrid or direct DC/AC powered mini split heat pumps that function like the EG4 offering?
These seem to be hard to source except alibaba (which is a nope from me).

Amazon search really leaves a lot to be desired, as usual they just lump everything and seemingly ignore “key“ key words.

Last edited:
Dipping toes in Solar....got mine installed (DIY if not obvious..)

In my case, had to bring 220V from power pole due to no free space in house sub panel (future upgrade project)

Panels are Canadian 385W, note only 7 hooked up at the moment due to Voc concerns. DC breaker at panels, I have since corrected the backwards wiring on it. Chinese IMO DC disconnect on house. I'm so committed racks are on 5 gallon buckets of concrete buried (sarcasm).

It does what it was said to do. Heating 1000sq ft no problemo! Very happy so far!!! Had first partly cloudy day yesterday, AC fills the DC valleys to keep wild power swings at bay as some were wondering. Wichita KS current Solar hours 10AM - 4:30PM.

This is all Sig Solar too, very happy with them as well. Made an order change, they called me right back no prob.

More thoughts later.
View attachment 129525View attachment 129527View attachment 129526View attachment 129529
Trying to get the nerve to do something similar. Any way that I could contact you directly to get some advice?

Too late already talked to Les on the Phone. Knowledgable guy just asking some installation and performance questions :)

On performance, I'll give a 3 month update. I 100.0% recommend this unit. It has been flawless (remember, made by Deye, so if you think Sol-Ark is Quality then so are these..)

From my Electric bill:
January: 1404Kwh used on a 2050Kwh 5 yr avg (partial month, full Solar capability wasn't achieved until the 9th)
February: 866Kwh used on 1650Kwh avg
March: 741Kwh used on 1220Kwh avg

So I am 1909Kwh or 1.9Mwh under for the year, at 0.13/Kwh delivered rate = $248 savings in 3 months. HVAC is a high load 10 of 12 months here in KS, so hope for 5-7Mwh offset annually and a 3 to 4 yr payback. Time will tell, especially on it LASTING 4 yrs (lol?)

I will also note I was a cheap bastard the prior 5 yrs at least ? , so it's 70-75 in the living areas not 60 during the winter days as thermostat previously set lower.

I think that's PRETTY GOOD payback for ANY SYSTEM at 0.13/Kwh?? I understand if you have lighter HVAC loads, or run it fewer months a year, makes less sense. YMMV.

Furthermore, I have an aging 20yo 4 ton Geo heat pump on open loop pump and dump, so it's neither the most efficient unit as well as due to age felt this is great backup.

Also a little verification of "cold" Wx performance, has not been very cold since Jan 1st here. Still pumping warm air , my calibrated arm tells me the fan/output is probably at 12K BTU . Lines right up with what I saw documented performance in the non cold climate units in the Mitsubishi catalog.

Attachments

• 20230129_114004.jpg
    20230129_114004.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230129_112605.jpg
    20230129_112605.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 13
I'm pulling the trigger on a 12k unit in the next month, I'm currently set on the Pioneer with free shipping. https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/pr...ull-set-with-16-ft-kit?variant=40106898063402

Is there any reason why I should go with the EG4 / Deye if I already have a split phase inverter fed by 5.8kw PV / 22kwh batteries? Will it qualify for rebates / tax credits?
Well it's installed.
I ended up ordering from Jack's Small Engines on Amazon (couldn't resist the additional 5% cash back), shipping was incredibly fast.
No complaints so far, it was around 25F this morning and there were 0 issues heating with power through the inverter / batteries before the sun came up. Cooling works great as well but that will get a better test later this week.
I found it very satisfying making the room nice and toasty before bed then dropping the thermostat for a nice deep sleep, all with no grid power of course.

Note this is not intended to bash the EG4 or steer people away, Deye makes great equipment from my understanding, I just don't see the point in the EG4 if you already have panels and storage...

I'm ready to order another but think I should upgrade the oil fired HWH first...

Edit - yea I still have to tidy up the line set / wires outside, that's on the list of items that I really should get done today.

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_113547.jpg
    IMG_20230407_113547.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230409_183537.jpg
    IMG_20230409_183537.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 23
Really depends on the climate you are in. It's $1300 + shipping.
The usecase is limited.

While you can grab a regular 12000 BTU heatpump local usually around $600.

Then you just get el cheapo all in one inverter for $500 and you got a much more useful system for similar cost
More wiring but hey we are a DIY board here.

I think this unit with its BLDC motor speeds itself up and down based on input from the panels. Something that would be a pain to engineer on your own.

I already posted about this "Skip the 120vac and run an inverter air-conditioner from solar DC current ?"
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...-air-conditioner-from-solar-dc-current.46387/

Once again I can't think of anything first !

Last edited:
Well it's installed.
I ended up ordering from Jack's Small Engines on Amazon (couldn't resist the additional 5% cash back), shipping was incredibly fast.
No complaints so far, it was around 25F this morning and there were 0 issues heating with power through the inverter / batteries before the sun came up. Cooling works great as well but that will get a better test later this week.
I found it very satisfying making the room nice and toasty before bed then dropping the thermostat for a nice deep sleep, all with no grid power of course.

Note this is not intended to bash the EG4 or steer people away, Deye makes great equipment from my understanding, I just don't see the point in the EG4 if you already have panels and storage...

I'm ready to order another but think I should upgrade the oil fired HWH first...

Edit - yea I still have to tidy up the line set / wires outside, that's on the list of items that I really should get done today.
Looking good. I'm sure that it will work well for you.
I'm going to try out the Hotspot 48vdc unit.
We can compare notes. lol

I just don't see the point in the EG4 if you already have panels and storage...
Oh I agree totally with this. For us new people however I am waiting for a better quality inverter at a cheaper price ( Sol Ark branded vs Deye debate go Yada Yada ?)

Maybe with HVAC load offset I'll be able to design a smaller system overall? Meanwhile, back at the ranch..

Oh and BTW. Surfing YouTube, there are several more videos out there now on the EG4 (and Hotspot for that matter) so check those out if interested.

I would have poo-pood this, but somebody on the official Deye account commented on one vid they are definitely coming with pre - evacuated linesets (vs pre CHARGED like Mr Cool). Should work the same?

we are precharged, quick connect units are coming this month :)
Happy to read quick connects are on the way!
Will there be choices for line length?

Any dual or tri head units in the works?
(24kbtu / 36kbtu)

Also wondering do these EG4 units have an actual inverter compressor, or a standard ac voltage unit with an inverter added?

Also wondering do these EG4 units have an actual inverter compressor, or a standard ac voltage unit with an inverter added?
I can answer, I researched before I bought. All motors, indoor/outdoor fans and compressor, are DC / variable speed on these - its in the specs. Panasonic RD198 compressor on my 24K unit. I do wish one of our Youtubers would have popped the lid off for us...

I can answer, I researched before I bought. All motors, indoor/outdoor fans and compressor, are DC / variable speed on these - its in the specs. Panasonic RD198 compressor on my 24K unit. I do wish one of our Youtubers would have popped the lid off for us...
Thanks for that info. I’m glad to hear it’s a Panasonic compressor and not some company like Vevor or dljbrti like some of the Chinese battery manufacturer / marketer names.
So if they are DC motors, if grid connected is the unit then converting AC power to DC power when solar supply isn’t available or adequate?

Maybe a stupid question but hey I don’t claim to be an electrical expert. ??‍♂️

we are precharged, quick connect units are coming this month :)
Is the 24 K BTU charged but you have to do the flaring? Or are the lines flared and you just have to be smart enough to know righty tighty? My house is down and I need to order one tomorrow or asap. How quick can it be shipped?

DIY?

EG4 Hybrid AC/DC Solar Mini Split:

5-Year Warranty Limited. Must be installed/evacuated by HVAC professional and/or certified tech or signed off by professional if you choose to commission yourself.

diy solar

diy solar
Back