diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LifePower Battery not charging

datuttlejr

I am trying to retrofit my 1998 Mountain Aire motorhome with lithium and eventually solar. I started with 8 Trophy cells and 2 Overkill BMSs to make two 12v 100ah batteries. I connected them in place of the 4 - 6v batteries that were swollen and cracked and everything worked fine. I also installed a Victron Smart Shunt to monitor them.

I then added an Orion TR Smart 12/12 - 30 to keep them charged while traveling. Everything worked fine.

I then decided to take a big leap. I purchased a Victron Multiplus ii 24v 3000w 2x120v charger/inverter. I paired this with an EG4 LifePower4 24v 5kw battery. I also installed a Cerbo GX and Touch 70. I put the Inverter in the same cabinet that the old inverter was in. This would allow me to utilize the existing connections mostly and keep the Chassis and House batteries separate. I put the battery under my bed inside the camper to keep the temps more controlled. The design I planned would allow for me to add more batteries in the future very easily. I ran 1/0 cables from under the bed to the Multiplus. I plan to make 2/0 flexible bus bars under the bed. From junction bolt under bed I will run the 2/0 cable about 18" to another junction that will allow me to add another battery along the 2/0 busbar. My idea is that this will allow me to connect up to 6 batteries in parallel as I can afford them.

I connected the 1/0 cable to the Lynx Shunt through a switch. I connected the Lynx Distributor to the Shunt. I connected the Multiplus to the Distributor. I connected an Orion 24/12 - 70 to the Distributor to keep the Chassis battery charged. Which in turn fed the already installed Orion TR Smart 12/12 -30 to keep the House batteries charged. I left the homemade house batteries in the mix because I had heard that the Orion 24/12 -70 sometimes struggles with larger loads like large slide outs. I figured these could work as an accumulator would. So in reality, my 2 home made house batteries ran the motorhome's system. This was charged by the Chassis 12v system while driving and when sitting on shore power, the 24v system would continually charge the chassis system at 13.8v which would trigger the Orion TR Smart 12/12 into thinking we were driving and charge the home made house batteries... In theory...

If the we lost power the 24 volt system would eventually stop providing power, the 12v chassis system would finally drop below 13.8 and the smart charger would stop charging the house batteries and finally the house batteries would be drained. Leaving the chassis batteries with 12.8v where the smart charger kicked out.

I thought everything was working okay. I was parked at my storage facility and I thought I saw electricity flowing in all the right directions. But next thing I know when I was getting ready to leave for my trip. I got a low voltage alarm from the inverter side. I checked it with my meter and it said 26.something volts. I then realized that I had no way to charge the 24v system while traveling unless I ran the generator. So I ordered the Orion TR Smart 12/24 - 15 to add to the system later. I also ordered the cable to connect the EG4 to the Cerbo and the cable to connect the EG4 to my laptop. I started my journey with the generator running.

When I arrived I was still getting the low voltage alarm. I called Victron and they walked me through all of the settings they recommend and everything checked out okay. That narrowed it down to a battery issue. I tried calling Signature Solar but it was Friday afternoon of the 4th of July weekend so after being on hold for 2 hours I hung up. My cables came in the mail. I went to connect the EG4 to my laptop but now I don't get ANY lights when I turn the battery on. I put the Multiplus in Charge only mode. I tested with my meter that it is putting out 28 volts. Looking at the Touch 70 it shows nothing flowing. So I then pushed the reset button on the EG4 for 10 seconds and then it shows that the charger is in Absorption mode and the Lynx Shunt has 27ish volts and usually between 1 and 2 amps flowing. The battery and the Cerbo are the ONLY two things connected to the Distributor now. After a short period of time it drops into Float mode and even less flow. Then I push the reset button again and it goes back to the 1-2 amp flow at 27ish volts. Still no lights light up on the battery at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I disconnect the Multiplus and try the Orion TR Smart 12/24 - 15 and see what it will do?

Your description of wiring is confusing. Shunt should be between battery and Lynx, i.e., battery, switch, shunt, lynx... everything else connected to lynx.

A low voltage alarm @ 26V is not normal. 27V and flowing 1-2A is indicative of a LFP battery at a high-ish state of charge.

Connecting the EG4 to the Cerbo may not be plug and play.

Isolate the EG4 from the system by turning off the switch. Engage the reset procedure. See if you can get the battery to light up.

Let's see if I can clarify the wiring.

Two wires come off EG4 one positive and one negative. The positive goes to a switch then to the Lynx Shunt. The negative goes directly to the Lynx Shunt. The Lynx Shunt is connected directly to the Lynx Distributor. The only things connected to the Lynx distributor are the Multiplus ii and the Cerbo for 24v.

The Cerbo is also connected via Can Bus Cable and the Multiplus is connected via VE Bus cable.

I have pressed reset for 10 seconds with EG4 breaker in on position and nothing. Pressed reset with EG4 breaker in off position nothing.

Lynx Shunt shows charging 1-2 amps Bulk. I put a clamp meter on and it shows flow of 1-3 amps. I've been letting it sit this way for 6 hours now trying different things.

When it drops to Float with about .2 amps I turn off Victron Charger and turn it back on and it goes back to bulk charge for a while.

Let's see if I can clarify the wiring.

Two wires come off EG4 one positive and one negative. The positive goes to a switch then to the Lynx Shunt. The negative goes directly to the Lynx Shunt. The Lynx Shunt is connected directly to the Lynx Distributor. The only things connected to the Lynx distributor are the Multiplus ii and the Cerbo for 24v.

Got it. Should be good.

The Cerbo is also connected via Can Bus Cable and the Multiplus is connected via VE Bus cable.

Unclear. The Cerbo is the hub. Things are connected to it. The MP should be connected to the VE.Bus port on the Cerbo.

If you have the EG4 connected to the Cerbo VE.Can port, have you followed all necessary steps to engage communication between the Cerbo and EG4? I don't think you have because you should not be seeing "absorption" or "float" for chargers. When a BMS is in control of Cerbo connected systems, you see "External Control."

I recommend you disconnect the EG4 from the Cerbo as well as the termination plug(s). This is an advanced topic and is NOT plug and play. Improper configuration will cause issues. If you are 100% certain you have configured this correctly, then disregard.

I have pressed reset for 10 seconds with EG4 breaker in on position and nothing. Pressed reset with EG4 breaker in off position nothing.

Your wiring description indicates you have a physical switch between the EG4 and Lynx shunt. This switch should be off, i.e., completely isolating the battery from the system.

The Cerbo is the hub. Nothing goes from Cerbo to EG4 yet. I need to get it working first.

The voltage at the terminals was 6.8 volts.

The Cerbo is the hub. Nothing goes from Cerbo to EG4 yet. I need to get it working first.

The voltage at the terminals was 6.8 volts.

That's a BMS in protection mode. The 1-2A charging may have been simply running any attached loads.

Isolate the EG4 from the system. If you can't get battery voltage at the terminals, it may be in protection mode/depleted.

I have connected the "Trophy/Overkill" batteries together to make them 24v and connected it in parallel to the EG4. That was over 24 hours ago. I have had power connected most of that time. Either 50amp shore power or 30 amp generator. I have not seen the EG4 change any way... How do I get it to charge?

I have connected the "Trophy/Overkill" batteries together to make them 24v and connected it in parallel to the EG4. That was over 24 hours ago. I have had power connected most of that time. Either 50amp shore power or 30 amp generator. I have not seen the EG4 change any way... How do I get it to charge?
Did you clamp the positive or negative leads going to the 24V EG4 to see if current was even being shared between the batteries?

I have had two chargers connected to it.
1. Multiplus ii in charger only mode and in inverter mode.
2. Orion TR Smart 12/24-15

Do these not count as chargers?

Back