diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LifePower Battery not charging

If you've observed both of these devices outputting current at > 27V, yes. They totally count.
Yes, I have witnessed these charging another parallel connected battery at over 27v for close to 2 days now. Actually, I am in a campground and they lost power this morning. The Multiplus kicked right in and drew current from my "Trophy/Overkill" battery to run the camper including AC for about an hour before I decided to turn the generator on. The Multiplus is now charging the "T/O" battery at 27.27v and 35ish amps right now.

I have had two chargers connected to it.
1. Multiplus ii in charger only mode and in inverter mode.
2. Orion TR Smart 12/24-15

Do these not count as chargers?
You are correct they are chargers. You should open up the 24V lifepower4 and see if you can see any damage on the BMS PCB.

Yes, I am.
Is the alarm light flashing on the EG4 Battery?

Are any of the battery LEDs on?

What's the voltage at the battery terminal (while connected in parallel with the overkill battery)?

What's the battery terminal voltage when disconnected from from all wires?

What does the bms test program say when connected to the battery?

What state is the eg4 battery breaker in? On or Off?

Have you tried holding the BMS reset button?

Take a few photos of the battery, terminal connections and the multimeter screen showing voltage readings (with correct polarity).

Last edited:
Is the alarm light flashing on the EG4 Battery?

Are any of the battery LEDs on?

What's the voltage at the battery terminal (while connected in parallel with the overkill battery)?

What's the battery terminal voltage when disconnected from from all wires?

What does the bms test program say when connected to the battery?

What state is the eg4 battery breaker in? On or Off?

Have you tried holding the BMS reset button?

Take a few photos of the battery, terminal connectiins and the multimeter screen showing voltage readings (with correct polarity).
No lights are flashing on the EG4 Battery.

No LEDs come on.

When connected to the bus the terminals have 26.7ish volts depending on what the bus is reading.

Terminal voltage is 6.4v when disconnected.

Cannot get the bms test program to load. I'm assuming because the battery doesn't appear to turn on.

I can flip the breaker either way and it doesn't appear to change anything.

I have held the BMS reset button with power attached, without power attached, with breaker on, with breaker off.

When I flip the breaker back and forth, there is nothing except mechanical noise of the breaker.

I have 2 - 1/0 cables (one positive, one negative) coming in, they connect directly to the EG4, two other 1/0 cables (one positive, one negative) also connect at the EG4 terminals and go directly to my Trophy/Overkill battery. Both pairs of cables are held onto the EG4 with the factory supplied bolts. Current HAS to be flowing across the terminals to charge/discharge the Trophy/Overkill battery which is working... I can measure current with my clamp meter. BUT if I disconnect there is only 6.4 volts at the terminals of the EG4.

Someone else said to open it up. This is a brand new battery and I would rather not void warranty.

Does the BMS breaker (small one to the left) move with the main breaker?
20230708_145213.jpg

Were you ever able to get your battery to charge? And did you ever peak inside in your battery to view the BMS PCB? The safest way to go about it is by removing the top lid.

Were you ever able to get your battery to charge? And did you ever peak inside in your battery to view the BMS PCB? The safest way to go about it is by removing the top lid.
I have not been able to accomplish anything yet. I have been messaging @BenFromSignatureSolar and he said they would reach out to me but they have not yet. I called Signature Solar and talked to a lady that was reading a script to ask me questions. She asked me to send in pictures of my whole system and some of the multimeter/clamp readings. I sent the pictures in two days ago but still haven't heard back.

I'm usually a very patient person but I am living with this and it is not working. Right now I'm not happy...

I agree that I could probably take it apart and find something but I don't want to void the warranty since this is the first time I've used this battery. Wil Prowse spoke highly of these batteries is the reason I chose them.

I have not been able to accomplish anything yet. I have been messaging @BenFromSignatureSolar and he said they would reach out to me but they have not yet. I called Signature Solar and talked to a lady that was reading a script to ask me questions. She asked me to send in pictures of my whole system and some of the multimeter/clamp readings. I sent the pictures in two days ago but still haven't heard back.

I'm usually a very patient person but I am living with this and it is not working. Right now I'm not happy...

I agree that I could probably take it apart and find something but I don't want to void the warranty since this is the first time I've used this battery. Wil Prowse spoke highly of these batteries is the reason I chose them.
Hello datuttlejr,

It sounds like you either have a bad BMS or something got disconnected on the BMS. If you're comfortable could you isolate the battery (confirm once again there is no voltage at the terminals with the breaker in the on position) then remove the top cover? Even though there may not be any sign of life from the battery it should be treated as it does. Once the top cover is removed look for any visible damage to the BMS/PCBs or loose connections. If you find anything please send a picture either here or DM me. If you have any questions/concerns please let me know.

Do you work for Signature Solar? Will that void my warranty to remove the cover? I'm not afraid to remove the cover but if I find an issue that is clearly a manufacturing issue, will I then still be stuck with it because I opened it up...?

Do you work for Signature Solar? Will that void my warranty to remove the cover? I'm not afraid to remove the cover but if I find an issue that is clearly a manufacturing issue, will I then still be stuck with it because I opened it up...?
Ty works for EG4 and is one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to the equipment. He is probably your best resource on getting this taken care of.

Do you work for Signature Solar? Will that void my warranty to remove the cover? I'm not afraid to remove the cover but if I find an issue that is clearly a manufacturing issue, will I then still be stuck with it because I opened it up.

Thanks, I could see his EG4 name and that he was from Sulphur Springs so I thought he might be but I was not sure.
Hello datuttlejr, I have DM'd you some information.

Back