diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL 24V (V2) review

mega5

My review of this battery. I bought 2 from Signature Solar and got an email asking to review it, but for some reason, my submitted review never made it to their website of reviews. Huh.

Performance wise- I have to say it meets expectations so far.

Output- I put it through a load test and had no problems pulling 100 amps through it behind a Multiplus 3KVA. I did not experience any funny business of it tripping with less than 100 amps as have read about. Tested with a heat gun, kettle, some fans.

Charging- The Victron was putting 60 amps @ 26vdc into it. (The Victron is supposed to charge at 70 amps @24vdc but I assume there is some efficiency losses + the output amperage is reduced above 24vdc.) Charges nice and fast. The cells are within a few mV of each other (less than 4mV).

Exterior build quality- Seems pretty good. Paint scratches pretty easily but the sheet metal shell is nice and solid.

Terminals- This is my only real complaint. Wheras the 12vdc eg4 models have a single pair of large terminals suitable for double tapping heavy lugs, the terminals on the 24v model are the same as the 48vdc model, using a pair of smaller terminals sized for M6 (1/4) bolts with short screws. These can't accept lugs for wire larger than 4GA if you want to use both pairs of terminals, otherwise your lugs will collide with each other. This presents a major headache for trying to parallel two units without a bus bar, as you can't physically fit the lugs/wire with sufficient amperage handling for the whole circuit, and the terminals aren't designed for double-tapping two lugs on a single post. Since I didn't want to do that I ended up running each battery into a lynx distributor. Worked out fine, just a bit of extra wire compared to wiring diagonally. My suggestion for this battery is that EG4 uses bigger terminals and long screws so its possible to fit bigger lugs. Then it would be easier to parallel it diagonally without a bus bar.

My application is building these into a vehicle, I have them on the floor for lowest center of gravity. A copper bus bar isn't possible because they aren't in a rack.

Last edited:
Back