diy solar

diy solar

Eliminating all grid feed-in with MPII 48/3000

lmpsr

I would ideally like to be totally isolated from the grid, but still have the extra capacity of a "grid" connection. Right now, I need to set my ESS power limit up to at least 150W to avoid grid feed-in spikes when large loads shut off. Would it be crazy to replace the grid connection with a Phoenix 48/1200 which is not connected to the grid? That way, the Phoenix could extend my surge power to 4200W. The Phoenix can be run at very little idle consumption as well since it would rarely produce any power. Would the feed-in spikes from the MPII damage the Phoenix? Again, is this a crazy idea?

Sell the 3kva and get a 5kva.
I considered the 5kva when I bought this, but it wasn't UL listed. A week after I bought the MPII, EG4 announced the 6000XP. I seriously considered trading for that too, but the 6000XP was not UL listed at the time. Don't know if it is now. Since it's off-grid, I wouldn't have to be concerned about grid feed-in. I love everything about the MPII except for this issue, although the installation is a bit "messy" in terms of all the various bits and pieces. It's quiet, I can have any number of PV strings of any size, monitoring is good and of course consumption/efficiency is great! Since I can avoid the feed-in problem with ESS settings, I guess it's just more of a nuisance than anything else. Because of the size and number of small strings that I have, I would still need to keep all the Victron MPPTs if I opted for a 6000XP now.

Last edited:
Would the feed-in spikes from the MPII damage the Phoenix? Again, is this a crazy idea?
I've seen other people, maybe here and on the Victron forums claim to feed an MP with a Phoenix before. Supposedly it works. Try it and let us know for sure. :p

diy solar

diy solar
Back