diy solar

diy solar

emergency backup / espresso machine

DCC

I want to purchase a small backup, like a Jackary, to run a light and maybe tv during blackouts. I think most of them will work for this, but between blackouts, I want it to power a coffee cart with an espresso machine and grinder. The grinder is only about 250 watts, so this should not be a problem, but the espresso machine is 1400 watts. If I am doing the math right, this means the 12 volt battery would be providing 117 amps max, for about 15 minutes 1400/12= 117 amps, or about 29 amp/hours. It will only be used once or twice a day, so In between uses, I'll plug it in to the wall to keep it charged. Given these parameters, do I just look for something that can provide at least 1400 peak watts or do I need to be considering something else? Any suggestions?

You will need an inverter that is rated for at least 1500W CONTINUOUS. Peak values listed on most product datasheets is only for a few milliseconds or maybe a few seconds. Depends on the brand.

If I were doing this project I would be over sizing the inverter slightly. 2000W continuous would be the minimum consideration.

EDIT: Battery should be 200Ah to keep the 117A (its actually more since the inverter is not 100% efficient.) current under 1C.

You are stuck in what they refer to as a "12V box". Why do you think you are limited to only 12V? You have the choices of implementing either 24V, or 48V systems. I can tell you that my 48V system supports the 1700W load of my microwave just fine.

My morning latte is very important to me. Rather than sticking with electric, I just bought one of the Italian stovetop models. Picked up mine at the local flea market for 2$. Wife though I was using the very expensive Starbuck machine she wanted for Christmas. Paired with one of the little battery-powered milk frothers, I can make a winning latte.
1702495965441.png

"Cart" sounds like commercial application. 1400W sounds small for commercial, maybe a single group machine like I use at home.
Is it 120V?

For 240V elements, I suggest running them at 120V for 1/4 the peak power.

Your total of < 2000W, mostly resistive, should be pretty easy to power. The grinder may take some surge power to start, but probably brush-type so pretty easy to start. It still could surge to 5x momentarily, and of course starts under load. You may need an inverter capable of 3000W or so for a couple seconds surge if both are on at same time. You might want to test with a meter that captures surge, unless you buy an inverter rated 3500W or higher. Or set up a switch that turns off espresso machine when grinder is turned on.

You are stuck in what they refer to as a "12V box". Why do you think you are limited to only 12V? You have the choices of implementing either 24V, or 48V systems. I can tell you that my 48V system supports the 1700W load of my microwave just fine.

My morning latte is very important to me. Rather than sticking with electric, I just bought one of the Italian stovetop models. Picked up mine at the local flea market for 2$. Wife though I was using the very expensive Starbuck machine she wanted for Christmas. Paired with one of the little battery-powered milk frothers, I can make a winning latte.
View attachment 182690
moka pot is awesome for power outage situations, just make sure you have a grinder ready as well.

Back