diy solar

diy solar

emergency BMS bypass

Boron

Posting this as a separate thread - given my highlighting of a reliability weakness in the power supply critical path - namely reliance on BT s/w interface for a BMS.
Now I only have limited experience with JK bms latest version in a black case (has an italian sandwich name?). I was chastened to discover how vulnerable one is with the BT comms link. Its weak BLE and you should be very close beside (<2m IMHO). Although its self regulating if you lose comms you can find yourself flying blind. AFAIK there is no PC link available (nor wifi) although its able to communication with MPPT stuff thru CAN/485. I dont know what happens down that path.

So as an ex systems man from Petrochem I naturally consider backup paths around critical points and consider that an emergency power line straight from Bat -ve to the load as a necessity (albeit a dangerous one that must be supervised by responsible person). However if you are OG in 10ft snow it may be a life saver.

This was my simplistic first thought but, in the same vein, there must be similar issue in other parts of a home solar grid.

What are your thoughts?

PS Correction no cable should ever be connected directly to an LFP, should always contain a suitable fusible link

Last edited:
JK BMS has a hardwire screen you can use if you worry about loosing wireless.

I have an on-off button. After that, the only times you might want to bypass the BMS are:
1) Low voltage disconnect, and you really need what little power is left, and the BMS refuses emergency mode.
2) BMS breaks.

JK BMS has a hardwire screen you can use if you worry about loosing wireless.
yes Ive got one but the 2" is very basic Volt/Amps/reset sw, have ordered the 4.3" so the jury is out - will report here.

BTW these widgets plug into a special jst type socket. I cant find any details about it. If this gets damaged/unreliable you are in trouble. Like all small jst - vulnerable to abuse/environment issues.

diy solar

diy solar
Back